The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #901  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Did she have a trauma from the abdication of her uncle? Her father perhaps, but not her, I think. I don't think that would be a reason for her not to do so. Besides, there would not be a recreating of such a trauma if she did abdicate. Her son is expected to succeed her and is more than ready for the job.
Whether or not Elizabeth personally had a traumatic reaction to the abdication, I think that her mother's fury over the whole business from the time David met Wallis through until the time King George VI died and beyond for the rest of her life would have generated strong enough shockwaves to have a traumatic effect on anyone in her vicinity, and QEII was in her vicinity for much of that time. So, yes, I think QEII would have been traumatised by the abdication for that reason alone. I am fairly sure that her parents' attitude to it was probably behind that declaration of hers on her 21st birthday. No way in the wide world will she abdicate.
__________________

__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Whether or not Elizabeth personally had a traumatic reaction to the abdication, I think that her mother's fury over the whole business from the time David met Wallis through until the time King George VI died and beyond for the rest of her life would have generated strong enough shockwaves to have a traumatic effect on anyone in her vicinity, and QEII was in her vicinity for much of that time. So, yes, I think QEII would have been traumatised by the abdication for that reason alone. I am fairly sure that her parents' attitude to it was probably behind that declaration of hers on her 21st birthday. No way in the wide world will she abdicate.
At the same time that "traumatic event" made her husband King and made her daughter Queen. Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, daughter of the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, was absolutely aware of ranks and precedence in the social pyramid, reached the summum of all possible positions, Queen of the United Kingdom, Empress of India even.... so we may take it with a little grain of salt that there was a "trauma" indeed. She was over it. In no time. She became the supreme top hen in da' hen house...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #903  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 AM
crm2317's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,239
I think the Queen's sense of duty would prevent her from abdicating. However if Prince Philip passes away first, I can see her declaring a regency. I don't think she would carry on the same without him beside her.
__________________
God Save the House of Windsor
Reply With Quote
  #904  
Old 02-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Cris M's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Niterói, Brazil
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
At the same time that "traumatic event" made her husband King and made her daughter Queen. Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, daughter of the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, was absolutely aware of ranks and precedence in the social pyramid, reached the summum of all possible positions, Queen of the United Kingdom, Empress of India even.... so we may take it with a little grain of salt that there was a "trauma" indeed. She was over it. In no time. She became the supreme top hen in da' hen house...
And soon after her husband became King the country entered a devastating war that lasted for six years. She saw her husband deteriorating in front of her, before he died at the age of 56, leaving her a widow at the age of 52. She also saw her daughter taking on the responsibility of be Queen of vast, albeit in decline, Empire, sacrificing her time with her two young children.

Let's look beyond all the perks, Duc. It's no wonder the abdication traumatized all the people involved, including the Queen Mother and the Queen.
__________________
“If a thousand thrones I had, I would give a thousand thrones to get the slaves free in Brazil."

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Reply With Quote
  #905  
Old 02-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,939
You can not connect the abdication of Edward VIII, the outbreak of WWII three/four years later and the ailments of the King, mainly caused by his heavy smoking. Like A + B = C. The King developed lung cancer, suffered occlusion of the arteries and also trombosis. Even when he remained the Duke of York, living a life on England's pleasant pastures green, in all seclusion, it is most unlikely he would not have developed these diseases to the lungs, arteries and trombosis. It was death cause Number One amongst the British before junk food, fat and sugar entered society.
Reply With Quote
  #906  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
You can not connect the abdication of Edward VIII, the outbreak of WWII three/four years later and the ailments of the King, mainly caused by his heavy smoking. Like A + B = C. The King developed lung cancer, suffered occlusion of the arteries and also trombosis. Even when he remained the Duke of York, living a life on England's pleasant pastures green, in all seclusion, it is most unlikely he would not have developed these diseases to the lungs, arteries and trombosis. It was death cause Number One amongst the British before junk food, fat and sugar entered society.
Whether "we" connect it or not, those near to him certainly did. It is quite likely that the stress and privations of war did indeed shorten his life by some considerable amount. His brother ( the DoW) lived to the age of 78, despite having been a heavy smoker and a likely alcoholic.

While George VI was 'fighting a war' and enduring the bombing of London, the former Edward VIII was giving and attending dinner parties, playing golf, visiting his tailor, playing bridge, and enjoying light work and recreation in Nassau, far away from war.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #907  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,939
So you are connecting A + B = C because basically you say the Duke of York would not have sufferend lung cancer, occlusion of the arteries and trombosis when he was not the King. That is a conclusion you can make. I do not share that conclusion. Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon lifed her life to the max, lived beyond a century and enjoyed every minute of it, we may assume.
Reply With Quote
  #908  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
So you are connecting A + B = C because basically you say the Duke of York would not have sufferend lung cancer, occlusion of the arteries and trombosis when he was not the King. That is a conclusion you can make. I do not share that conclusion. Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon lifed her life to the max, lived beyond a century and enjoyed every minute of it, we may assume.
I tend to agree that Queen Elizabeth's father would have died young no matter what, but it is a matter of record that the Queen Mother blamed his ascension to the throne for his relatively young death. I don't know if it is certain that Queen Elizabeth shares that belief, but I think she does--and it is one of the reasons that she won't abdicate.

I don't think she aspired to Queen. She knew it was possible when she married Prince Albert, but it was assumed that Prince Edward would eventually marry and have a child of his own. Moreover, she never forgave Wallis Simpson for the abdication, which also indicates that she wasn't particularly happy to ascend the throne.

The Queen Mother certainly made the most of it and enjoyed being Queen. But I think she would have been just as happy married to a royal duke. If Edward VII had married someone else, the Queen Mother would have been forced to defer to his wife but she would have been fine with that. If she didn't like her sister-in-law, she would have just stayed clear and held her own court someplace else.
Reply With Quote
  #909  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
So you are connecting A + B = C because basically you say the Duke of York would not have sufferend lung cancer, occlusion of the arteries and trombosis when he was not the King. That is a conclusion you can make. I do not share that conclusion. Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon lifed her life to the max, lived beyond a century and enjoyed every minute of it, we may assume.
Here's what I said: It is quite likely that the stress and privations of war did indeed shorten his life by some considerable amount.

Do you think that having to be King, when his brother had refused to fulfil his role, helped his health? Certainly not. His wife saw the toll it took on him, and regardless of other factors, stress of that sort is not conducive to health or long life. Spending time in the country, or in a warm climate...that would have helped, but he had to be King, because his brother selfishly refused to.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #910  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
[...] but he had to be King, because his brother selfishly refused to.
That is open for discussion. Had the Government allowed the King to marry the love of his life, then he would not have abdicated, of course.

In retrospect, with the flood of divorces and divorcees in the British royal family, the treatment of the Queen's uncle was remarkable.
Reply With Quote
  #911  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,582
THe truth of the matter is of the last 6 men of the family to sit on the throne they all died relatively young.
George VI age 66
Edward VIII age 77
George V age 70
Edward VII age 68
William V age 71
Goege IV age 67

The women in the family tend to be much longer lived. This is borne out by how great QEII looks even at nearly 90. So it's possible that had he not been a smoker, or had to deal with WW2, he would still not have lived to be ancient.
Reply With Quote
  #912  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:50 PM
BritishRoyalist's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
THe truth of the matter is of the last 6 men of the family to sit on the throne they all died relatively young.
George VI age 66
Edward VIII age 77
George V age 70
Edward VII age 68
William V age 71
Goege IV age 67

The women in the family tend to be much longer lived. This is borne out by how great QEII looks even at nearly 90. So it's possible that had he not been a smoker, or had to deal with WW2, he would still not have lived to be ancient.

I see what you saying but Edward VIII I do not consider having died young. 77 is the average lifespan for men today so in 1972 that would have been pretty good.
__________________
Long Live the Queen!! The Real Queen of Hearts!
Reply With Quote
  #913  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:58 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
THe truth of the matter is of the last 6 men of the family to sit on the throne they all died relatively young.
George VI age 66
Edward VIII age 77
George V age 70
Edward VII age 68
William V age 71
Goege IV age 67
The women in the family tend to be much longer lived. This is borne out by how great QEII looks even at nearly 90. So it's possible that had he not been a smoker, or had to deal with WW2, he would still not have lived to be ancient.
Well, women do generally have longer life expectancies. The better questions, given the discussion might be:
  1. How long did the last 10 monarchs remain in rule (and yes, the women dominate here) before the role took it's toll?
  2. How much longer did the king live than general life expectancy for men in GB (which was, for example, 47 in 1900, 60 in the 1930s and 65 in the 1950s).
Compared to the general population, kings fared quite well.
__________________
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...bob_dylan.html
Reply With Quote
  #914  
Old 02-22-2015, 06:50 PM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
THe truth of the matter is of the last 6 men of the family to sit on the throne they all died relatively young.
George VI age 66
Edward VIII age 77
George V age 70
Edward VII age 68
William V age 71
Goege IV age 67

The women in the family tend to be much longer lived. This is borne out by how great QEII looks even at nearly 90. So it's possible that had he not been a smoker, or had to deal with WW2, he would still not have lived to be ancient.
George VI was actually 56, which is considerably younger than the other Kings. I'm sure another 10 years of his life, while not making him 'ancient', would have been warmly welcomed by his family.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
Reply With Quote
  #915  
Old 02-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,197
Those kings, though, all lived unhealthy lifestyles as well.
Reply With Quote
  #916  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Spending time in the country, or in a warm climate...that would have helped, but he had to be King, because his brother selfishly refused to.
So there's that tantalizing, very large, alternative time-line of history: had Edward VIII not abdicated, had Wallis Simpson been able to reach him and persuade him that, if he abdicated, she would not stay with him (which I understand she was trying to do but could not get through on the phone - can someone here either confirm or correct me on this impression?), had he, in short, reigned as king until his death in 1972 without issue, what a different life for Elizabeth, and possibly for Charles. Potentially there would have been a more 'normal' relationship with his mother, for example.

Here's a possibility: Edward VIII dies in 1972, and at the prospect of a woman on the throne, there are calls for Elizabeth to step aside for her son, Prince Charles. Imagine that! Plus Charles marries young and more quickly, Amanda Knatchbull, as Mountbattan planned.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #917  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
George VI was actually 56, which is considerably younger than the other Kings. I'm sure another 10 years of his life, while not making him 'ancient', would have been warmly welcomed by his family.
My typo, Jezz, thanks for correcting!
Reply With Quote
  #918  
Old 02-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,455
And in the alternative time-line, just suppose that after Edward VIII abdicated, George VI also refused to serve, and so on down the line. Would the Monarchy have survived a surge of quitters? And how would a newly Republican Britain have withstood the horror of WWII without that golden thread of monarchy connecting them to their long and glorious past? One can't know, of course, but things could have gone badly wrong if Bertie and Elizabeth had been quitters.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #919  
Old 02-23-2015, 01:47 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
And in the alternative time-line, just suppose that after Edward VIII abdicated, George VI also refused to serve, and so on down the line. Would the Monarchy have survived a surge of quitters? And how would a newly Republican Britain have withstood the horror of WWII without that golden thread of monarchy connecting them to their long and glorious past? One can't know, of course, but things could have gone badly wrong if Bertie and Elizabeth had been quitters.
If George VI refused to serve, who would have the crown passed to?

Do you think William will be a 'quitter'?
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #920  
Old 02-23-2015, 02:25 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
If George VI refused to serve, who would have the crown passed to?

Do you think William will be a 'quitter'?
The preteen Princess Elizabeth would have been next in line.

No.
__________________

__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would They Have Married? auntie Royal Chit Chat 501 07-25-2014 12:23 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit camillas outfits catherine middleton style coup d'etat courtship crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events december 2015 duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece haldane kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess victoria fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit from mexico state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises