The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Aristocracy

Forgive me... been up all night lol. Time for bed so that I don't have anymore such slip-ups lol...

Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
For the first time, I think the Queen abdicating would be a good thing. I have always preferred Charles, unlike his mum he seems to have a likeable personality.
I honestly feel more comfortable with Elizabeth as Queen then Charles as King. IMHO Elizabeth has a very likeable personality, i'm not too fond of Charles, he seems to have a rather bland personality in my eyes. Unless her majesty dies then i don't see her abdicating anytime soon, don't even see how her abdicating will be a good thing, it's the same process, late Queen/King dies or abdicates and then the next person becomes the Queen/King. Sure Charles will finally be the king and all but that's about it, Elizabeth said that her duty was to be a Queen to her people and she's doing a amazing job at being a Queen.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Nobility

The Queen will never abdicate, and why should she?
I love The Queen.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Majesty

'Service to the nation' could also mean the best service she could do for her nation is to abdicate - and if that is the case (I don't think it is at the moment) then she would abdicate.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
For the first time, I think the Queen abdicating would be a good thing. I have always preferred Charles, unlike his mum he seems to have a likeable personality.

There is no reason Charles and Camilla wouldn't make a good king and queen, and Liz would be able to advise Charles.

Liz and Philip could enjoy retirement at long last, and the core royal family could be reduced to Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, baby and Harry - considerably smaller than it is now. Anne could still help out but the others could be asked to give up their princely titles and become ordinary citizens. This would achieve the aims of making the monarchy smaller and cheaper.

Why should they give up their titles - and why should Harry keep his when he would be in no different a position than Andrew?

Can you really see the few royals you have on your list - and one a new mum - doing all the duties currently carrried out by the members of the royal family (currently about 4000 a year done by 15 people). Reduce the adult members to 6 and they are all doing nearly 700 a year - a rate that no one is currently doing with Charles and Anne in the high 500s and Andrew and Edward in the high 400s at the moment.

Can you also tell me exactly when Charles, or any other member of the family, has said 'on the record' that the intention is to reduce the royal family to just the monarch and his/her spouse and adult children?

The only thing we do have is a throw away line made about 20 years ago by a member of the household that has been repeated ad infinitum to the point where it has become 'the truth'.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
'Service to the nation' could also mean the best service she could do for her nation is to abdicate - and if that is the case (I don't think it is at the moment) then she would abdicate.
Great point, and I completely agree.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Excellent point.

I think the only way HM would abdicate would be either if her government requested it (presumably because the people requested it), or if it was deemed to be necessary for either the good of the country or the monarchy itself.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I agree. I have never thought that her declaration to serve for the rest of her life precluded abdication if that was the best thing she could do for her people.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Aristocracy

There is no need for her to Abdicate... she has been one of the best if not THE best Monarch imho. She is still going strong and there is no reason whatsoever for her to step down.

God Bless HM
Old 07-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Nobility

The Queen is more popular than ever, and will never abdicate the throne.

Long Live Elizabeth the Great
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

Saw one comment referring to HM QEII as 'Liz.' Those closest to her call her 'Betty,' not 'Liz.'
Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 AM
Majesty

They actually call her Lilibet - that is those that call her by her name at all.

The common man's abbreviation for her is Liz however.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They actually call her Lilibet - that is those that call her by her name at all.

The republican abbreviation for her is, according to urban dictionary, Betty Windsor.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Lilibet was her childhood nickname. She is now 87 years old. Betty is her name amongst family and friends.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post

Lilibet was her childhood nickname. She is now 87 years old. Betty is her name amongst family and friends.
Do you have a source for that?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Saw one comment referring to HM QEII as 'Liz.' Those closest to her call her 'Betty,' not 'Liz.'
I saw that post and noted all the other royals were referred to using their proper names.

I have never in all my life known QEII to be referred to as Betty by anyone including her family. She signs Christmas cards and correspondence to family and very close friends as Lilibet. This is indeed a name she has had since childhood and continues to this very day.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

She is a much loved monarch, but "Great"? No. Not this Elizabeth. Not in my opinion, anyway. She was her father's daughter. Good, definitely, but not great. "Great" would require more independent and innovative thought and action than we have seen from this woman.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Serene Highness

I for one have never heard the term Betty. I would like to know where that came from or is it just heresay? If you are going to make a comment about this then please, what is the source?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
I for one have never heard the term Betty. I would like to know where that came from or is it just heresay? If you are going to make a comment about this then please, what is the source?
If you google it you can see it being used in various republican forums and news articles - Betty Windsor.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The republican abbreviation for her is, according to urban dictionary, Betty Windsor.
From that urban dictionary:
People who call Queen Elizabeth II "Betty Windsor" are either anti-monarchy, small-r republican, apathetic, or satirists.

I think we can safely say that this does not mean that familymembers and friends call her "Betty"

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement