The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Nothing and like Charles he may reign for 10 years and leave little legacy.
The legacy he'll left will be the one he built as Prince of Wales. He's reign will be a bridge between the Queen's reign and William's reign.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Courtier

It is a little disappointing that the Queen won't be at the Commonwealth meeting this year but it very understandable as she is 87. I don't think it has to do with any serious health issues but more with her advancing age and lot of heavy travel like that can be hard on you after you reach a certain age even if you can still move around on your own. even so she may be in good health she has look noticeably frail as of late which is normal in older years.

But I am still amaze even still how well she can still get around on her own! She is in better shape then my Great Grandmother who is also 87 (has a bad hip was able to move on her own up until 20 years ago and had to start using walker after she fill which has worsen in the last 10 years and she now can barely walk to the kitchen from the living room to the kitchen and need help getting around) not many 87 years old like that.

Elizabeth is still in better shape then her mother was at the same age in 1987 and even Queen Victoria at age 78 who had to stay in her carriage during the service of thanksgiving at her Diamond Jubilee because she was to frail to get up the stairs. .

This will be good for Elizabeth to reduce her engagements a little and for Charles (by the way it wasn't until the year after her Diamond Jubilee in 1898 that Victoria finally allowed Edward a active role in the running in the country as she slowed down a bit on her duties) The commonwealth meeting in November will give him a chance to kind of show what he has and give you a little glimpse of the day he becomes king. Charles will be a Good King. As I said before there are some similarities when it comes to Victoria/Edward and Elizabeth/Charles and the Second in line George/William. History is almost repeating itself.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
History is almost repeating itself.
Like always.

Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria are very popular Queens, who reigned for a long time.

King George VII, like King Edward VII, will have a short reign, after the long reign of his mother. He'll make a surprisingly good job as King.

King William V, like King George V, will revolutionize the Monarchy, having Queen Catherine by his side, like King George V had Queen Mary by his side.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
They said the same thing about King Edward VII, and he proved that those people were wrong, doing an excellent job as Monarch.

Royals are more liked at old age, the Prince of Wales will be a wonderful and popular old King.

What's the problem having a 80 years old King at his ascension? Before that, we'll have a 100 years old Queen.
You are right that Royals are like at Older age compared to being younger. Back in the 80s Charles and Diana were more liked then the Queen. Same way with Victoria, she was like early, not popular in her middle years and became popular again in the end while Edward was not as like as his son George. While Queen Elizabeth popularity dip at time she remained pretty well liked. Charles is that generation in the middle between the older generation (Elizabeth) and the younger generation (William). I bet there will be a time when Will and Kate child is older that William is bob it as like as his dad and child as he will be he middle generation.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
The legacy he'll left will be the one he built as Prince of Wales. He's reign will be a bridge between the Queen's reign and William's reign.
This is exactly how I see it also. Charles has practically redefined the role of Prince of Wales and has given it a role of meaning. If you compare Charles to the previous Prince of Wales, Charles really has accomplished so much. William has spent his lifetime watching his dad and I would imagine already has a pretty good idea of what is expected of the heir apparent to the throne.

As many have said before, when Charles ascends the throne, he will have to rein himself in (pun intended) in and perhaps not be so outspoken has he has been on certain matters in the past and I would bet my last donut that he'll guide his son towards doing as involved of a job as Duke of Cornwall and possibly Prince of Wales that he did. Charles was always a hands on father and I expect that to continue in how he interacts with his sons while he is King.

Perhaps Charles' reign will be a short one and a bridge for William but lets face it. After Elizabeth's 60+ years on the throne, any reign that follows her will seem short.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps Charles' reign will be a short one and a bridge for William but lets face it. After Elizabeth's 60+ years on the throne, any reign that follows her will seem short.
For sure! Her Majesty's reign is longer than the reigns of her four predecessors together.

But the Prince of Wales has good genes, his mother is 87, and his father is 92, both strong, his grandmother died at 102. If he ascends at the age of 80, I can see him reign for 15 years or more.

I believe the time of Kings and Queens ascending at young age are over. Telegraph has a good article about this. Kate Middleton pregnant: 'silver monarchy' of elderly kings and queens predicted as Kate spends night in hospital - Telegraph
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Courtier

While young monarch maybe glamorous, it isn't always the best thing. Imagine if George vi had lived 10 more years to 1962 ( he would have been 66 ), Elizabeth would have more time with her young kids. Margaret may have turned out differently. I can see Charles doing events like Commonwealth Meetings and State Visits. W&K are going to have to pick up some of the work that the elder members such as Phillip, Alexandria & Duke of Kent. It will be interesting to see if William leaves the military altogether or takes an army desk job.

I do fear for the queen once Phillip dies, she could go downhill afterwards.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Majesty

The only reason why The Queen became Queen at a young age was that her father didn't take care of his health and was a very heavy smoker and also a heavy drinker leading to lung cancer.

Charles on the other hand has always taken care of his health.

If he has the same length of life as his mother he will have a reign of 22 years - not far short of George V's.

Edward VII was extremely popular as King. He was a bit of a rogue and he gave the monarchy the pomp and circumstance we now associate with the monarchy - he was the reforming monarch in the 20th in many ways more than his son - who directed the royal family towards Britain and away from Europe after WWI whereas his father embraced Europe but also took a lot of time to reinvent the monarchy after the 40 years of his mother's widowhood with the 'season' we now think of with the BRF.

William may very well be in his 60s or so when he becomes King. He will face calls for the throne to pass over him to his baby and the cycle will continue.

Not only will William have to leave the military but so will Harry as he too will be needed sooner rather than later.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
Whether the Queen abdicates or not (she wont) , isn't really the issue. Charles is almost 65, he is looked upon by many younger people as being part of the old guard. You either like him or you don't. I don't think anyone can really know the state of HM's health but the longer she reigns, the more damage it does to Charles when he eventually does become King.
I think the longer she reigns the better it is for Charles. The longer things go, the less and less people remember the 90's. And he has even more time to soften and improve his image, which he's done a pretty good job of doing over the years, all things considered.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

DM speaks about new title for Charles, as Prince Regent
As the Queen prepares to scale back her role... it's Charles's chance to prove he is ready to be King | Mail Online
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Royal Highness

Just when I was starting to think I prefer the Dutch system of abdication (which I admire and respect and think is a good thing) along come the State Opening of Parliament attended by the Queen and the heir to the throne to symbolise the gradual and very slowly paced transition from one monarch another as a reminder that I have faith in the British way!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Just when I was starting to think I prefer the Dutch system of abdication (which I admire and respect and think is a good thing) along come the State Opening of Parliament attended by the Queen and the heir to the throne to symbolise the gradual and very slowly paced transition from one monarch another as a reminder that I have faith in the British way!
jacknch, just a question: Suppose that old age actually caught up with QEII for everyone to see? Suppose dementia or Alzheimer's set in? What would you think of such a scenario and what could the palace do about it? I understand that HM has taken good care of herself and that she's probably been taken good care of, she's not aged like your average 87-year old. Still, old age is bound to catch up with her at some point.

viv
Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Majesty

The Regency Act sets out exactly what would happen if The Queen became mentally incapcitated.

Three set people have to sign the relevant documents to declare her incapable of mentally carrying out her duties and Charles would become Prince Regent.

The idea of him being Prince Regent while The Queen is mentally capable is a different scenario to one to it happening if she is menatlly incapable.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post

jacknch, just a question: Suppose that old age actually caught up with QEII for everyone to see? Suppose dementia or Alzheimer's set in? What would you think of such a scenario and what could the palace do about it? I understand that HM has taken good care of herself and that she's probably been taken good care of, she's not aged like your average 87-year old. Still, old age is bound to catch up with her at some point.

viv
If dementia (Alzheimer's being the most common form) set in then the Queen could not abdicate. In order to abdicate the person doing so must be of sound mind and fully knowledgeable of what it is that he or she is doing.

Fortunately, there is a system already in place to account for a monarch who is not capable of ruling, due to them being of infirm mind or body, or unavailable for a definite cause - the regency. If a time at which point HM is unable to carry out her duties as monarch then there will be a declaration of incapacity and Prince Charles will be made Prince Regent.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Courtier

Maybe dementia light has set in at my end - now I remember having
read about the Regency Act ! I suppose the Act has not been used on this side of the Sache- Coburg-Gothas!?

viv
Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Majesty

The last time a Regency was needed was with George III but there have been various Regency Acts since then to cover underage children and unfit monarchs.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Commoner

Yesterday, as I watched the beginnings of the State Opening of Parliament, I thought to myself for the first time, that the Queen really is starting to appear 'old'.
But then I watched her professionalism during the ceremony, and listened to her unwavering voice as she delivered The Speech, and then saw the pictures of her 'eyeing up' the horses at the Windsor Horse Show - and I just thought, this Lady really is something else!
I think we have become a bit distracted over the past few days with talk of a regency and CHOGM meetings and overseas travel - but we need to remember that Our Queen is still doing a fantastic job, and will continue to do so for as long as she is humanly able.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Courtier

The Queen always appears older at State Opening. Not only this year but any previous years.You see pics of any year, she appears older than her corresponding age. Lemme tell u why..
1.See, naturally, anyone appears older when wearing glasses.
2.Upon that there is the crown, robes and all, and she cant walk freely. She has to get over even those 2-3 steps very cautiously. This can always be mistaken for fraility
3.She cant even sit down freely, has to adjust her robe carefully before doing do..
4.Same struggle again while leaving the hall.
5.She has to remain very serious throughout (to give the neutral appearance),
6.While walking in the procession the DoE holds her hand in such a way as if she cant walk without his support..
7.And upon that, all the old Lords in their wigs, and the old ladies-in-Waiting, all make her look much much older.
So all these things give us an image that she is very tired and "not so healthy". But actually in the recent Thatcher funeral both The Queen and DoE appeared so fit and robust..more than in any recent times..
So appearances can be deceiving at times.
But such things are enough for our media to switch on the "resignation/Regency/withdrawal mode"..
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 AM

the queen wont abdicate, it is not in her upbringing when in South Africa in 1946 she pledged whether her whole life be long or short she would dedicate herself to us. It would be unthinkable to her to abdicate. Charles will be another edward 7th with a short reign.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

This is a good article from the Sunday Times on the current changes quietly being undertaken by the BRF in preparing for the time when Charles becomes King (although it is assumed that this is someway off)

I pondered on where this link belonged because it is about halting the views about abdication; the health of the monarch and Prince Philip; the preparation of Charles; the acceptance of Camilla etc.

If it is in the wrong place - then mods, please feel free to move it.

Changing the old guard at the palace | The Sunday Times

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement