The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Courtier

If ONLY 'Lord' Prescott would take his own advice !!!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

She is approaching 87 and as of yet does not seem to suffer from any of the usual geriatric ailments. Colds, flu, stomach upsets, back pain can and do happen to people of any age. No one has ever suggested that her mind is not as sharp as always, so as long as her mind and her general health hold up I don't think the idea of abdicating would occur to her and no reason why it should.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Serene Highness

Even if she gets senile, an abdication will be unecessary.
The Prince of Wales can become Regent, while Her Majesty will stay as Queen for the rest of her life.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Nobility

oh, I very much hope, the next coronation will be in times of prosperity - that it could be a splendid and really beautiful event; now is too much austerity in the air to have gorgeous pageantry .
Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
oh, I very much hope, the next coronation will be in times of prosperity - that it could be a splendid and really beautiful event; now is too much austerity in the air to have gorgeous pageantry .
Don't worry about the next Coronation, we'll still having to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee, in 2022.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen has made it very clear throughout her reign that she would never consider abdicating and will serve until her death.

If she becomes incapacitated and unable to discharge the duties of the Crown, the provisions of the Regency Act would come into place and Charles would be appointed The Prince Regent, just like George IV was before he became The Sovereign.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Nobility

I am not really concerned about a Regency anytime soon, based on the Queen's current normal schedule. However, if things change to Balmoral or Sandringham heavily on the schedule, and out of season, could show signs that something maybe up with QEII or DoE. It would show that they are giving the PoW a wide berth. JMO.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
It would show that they are giving the PoW a wide berth. JMO.
Say what?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Even if she gets senile, an abdication will be unecessary.

The Prince of Wales can become Regent, while Her Majesty will stay as Queen for the rest of her life.

If she is senile she wouldn't be able to abdicate as she wouldn't be 'in sound mind' and that is essential for an abdication.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If she is senile she wouldn't be able to abdicate as she wouldn't be 'in sound mind' and that is essential for an abdication.
So, Her Majesty will never abdicate. She'll not do that as long as she's with a healthy mind. And a senile woman can't abdicate.

Abdication, never. Regency, possible.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Majesty

I just hope people wouldn't turn on her and give her flack, IF, she considers stepping aside and making Charles Regent. She has admitted that she's getting slower and older and can't do everything and be everywhere.

I can see the headlines now if she ever decide to step aside due to health reasons. The world news would be in total chaos. Everyone would just have to accept the reality that Her Majesty is getting older and at some point she won't be able to do what she's currently doing. That's just life. She's mortal like everybody else.

Even The Queen Mother knew when to take it easy. She stopped traveling abroad and her official schedule changed up a bit.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Even The Queen Mother knew when to take it easy. She stopped traveling abroad and her official schedule changed up a bit.
The QM stopped traveling abroad because her daughter made the decision. The QMs Canadian Secretary said he was told by HM to put out the word that people were to stop inviting her mother. The QM was 90 at the time.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Majesty

Well, it was good that The Queen put her foot down and made her mother stop traveling abroad. The Queen is approaching her 90's and at some point, someone will have to put their foot down on how much official duties The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh do. I'm guessing that will be down to the family, doctors and advisers.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I think HM may have done it already - she could have travelled last year, but didn't. I know the DoE went to Canada for 1 day rcently but he could have lots of rest inbetween. The days of 10-20 day tours surely must be over.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Majesty

If she is going to come down under again then 10 - 20 day tours are the go but...1-2 days of engagements and then a day or two of rest.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand the DoE's 1 day engagement in Canada (which is set for April). To me it seems like a long way to come for just one engagement.

I agree with the general consent that HM (and the DoE) are at a point where they need to limit their overseas tours. I can't see her abdicating in the future, and I hope for her sake a regency doesn't become necessary - being of unsound mind or body is not something I would wish on anyone.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, it was good that The Queen put her foot down and made her mother stop traveling abroad. The Queen is approaching her 90's and at some point, someone will have to put their foot down on how much official duties The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh do. I'm guessing that will be down to the family, doctors and advisers.
And who is going to be the one to put their foot down and tell the Queen Regnant what to do? If the time comes when someone has to tell her what to do, IMO she should no longer be the monarch. Frankly I think that if that point comes she should abdicate. That point could come when she is of perfectly sound mind and could therefore make that decision. I think it would be better for her to do that and allow Charles to step into the role for which he has been trained and waiting since birth than for him to just be her regent for many years. I think that would be grossly unfair to him. The circumstances would be very different from her uncle's abdication.

I think her Majesty created a burden for herself when she made that vow so many years ago, when she was young and fit, to give her whole life to the people. She can give her whole life without being Queen.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I don't understand the DoE's 1 day engagement in Canada (which is set for April). To me it seems like a long way to come for just one engagement.
Hmmm..Maybe with Queen sick and all, he must have arranged a secret rendezvous there
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post

Hmmm..Maybe with Queen sick and all, he must have arranged a secret rendezvous there
But The Queen isn't ill anymore and the engagement is in April.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 AM
Majesty

We really don't know if she is still 'ill' in some way or not - and his engagement was announced when she was ill. There may be more going on with both of them healthwise than we are being told (hopefully not but...)

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement