The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 PM
EarlOfDawleyMagna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Telford, United Kingdom
Posts: 23
I don't really agree with abdications I think it is a position for life and should remain thus. I do however see potential for a 'Regency' if the Monarch was not able to perform duties effectively. For example The Queen could semi retire and perform the duties she can (but no more) while Charles as Regent could do everything else.

Another idea that could set a new precedence (for situations where a Monarch is elderly) could be that The Monarch opens up to a dual sovereignty whereby Charles could become King alongside his Mother. This could even be possible with Mother and daughter or father and son.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
EarlOfDawleyMagna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Telford, United Kingdom
Posts: 23
British Regency ???

I don't think The Queen would ever abdicate. I think she as the rest of us see her position as one for life. However I do feel that her sense of duty may in the future, should she become incapable through ill health of fulfilling her commitments consider a Regency. Thus making Charles Prince Regent.

As a possible alternative and set a new precedence for such a situation should the Palace consider a dual sovereignty with Mother and Son becoming in effect Queen Elizabeth 11 and King Charles 111 at the same time. This move would infact honour the announcement made by the Palace stating Camilla would become Princess Consort, thus when Charles becomes King in his own right could elevate Camilla to Queen Consort.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlOfDawleyMagna View Post
I don't really agree with abdications I think it is a position for life and should remain thus. I do however see potential for a 'Regency' if the Monarch was not able to perform duties effectively. For example The Queen could semi retire and perform the duties she can (but no more) while Charles as Regent could do everything else.

Another idea that could set a new precedence (for situations where a Monarch is elderly) could be that The Monarch opens up to a dual sovereignty whereby Charles could become King alongside his Mother. This could even be possible with Mother and daughter or father and son.
Charles can only act as Regent if his mother is considered to be infirmity of mind or body or of unavaliability for a definite cause. Therefore she cannot semi retire and perform duties she chooses. Dual Sovereignty makes no sense.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM
EarlOfDawleyMagna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Telford, United Kingdom
Posts: 23
Dual sovereignty makes clear sense to me as there are many benefits.

1, The Queen would not be abdicating. So not breaking a commitment and promise she holds so dear.

2, She could choose to do what she could and no more (a clear advantage over a Regency) where as you rightly pointed out she wouldn't be able to.

3, Charles could keep the wheels moving while his mother winds down a bit.

We are in near unchartered territory with the age of a Sovereign. As of now The Queen is in amazing health and can clearly fulfil her numerous duties but lets remember The Queen Mother she lived till over 100 and clearly couldn't do full a royal duties at the capacity needed to fulfill the role. It is likely at some point The Queen will go the same route. Keeping her sanity but not being as robust in body.

I think the dual sovereignty would solve this problem and could become an option and set a new precedent.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlOfDawleyMagna View Post
Dual sovereignty makes clear sense to me as there are many benefits.

1, The Queen would not be abdicating. So not breaking a commitment and promise she holds so dear.

2, She could choose to do what she could and no more (a clear advantage over a Regency) where as you rightly pointed out she wouldn't be able to.

3, Charles could keep the wheels moving while his mother winds down a bit.

We are in near unchartered territory with the age of a Sovereign. As of now The Queen is in amazing health and can clearly fulfil her numerous duties but lets remember The Queen Mother she lived till over 100 and clearly couldn't do full a royal duties at the capacity needed to fulfill the role. It is likely at some point The Queen will go the same route. Keeping her sanity but not being as robust in body.

I think the dual sovereignty would solve this problem and could become an option and set a new precedent.
You can't have two monarchs doing the same job. Elizabeth pretty much picks and chooses what she does now and Charles is keeping the wheels moving as The Queen winds down. The Queen is not in amazing health, illness often prevents her from her duties.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 PM
EarlOfDawleyMagna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Telford, United Kingdom
Posts: 23
Of course you can have two Monarchs! It happened with William & Mary!!!


The Queen is in very good health for her age. She doesn't cancel much and the Palace has done a fantastic job in changing how they do things such as investitures (more of them for less duration) so she can keep up and not lose momentum. Charles as Prince Of Wales doesn't quite have the same gravitas as if he were King alongside his Mother. I think for the future it could be a viable option.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlOfDawleyMagna View Post
Of course you can have two Monarchs! It happened with William & Mary!!!

The Queen is in very good health for her age. She doesn't cancel much and the Palace has done a fantastic job in changing how they do things such as investitures (more of them for less duration) so she can keep up and not lose momentum. Charles as Prince Of Wales doesn't quite have the same gravitas as if he were King alongside his Mother. I think for the future it could be a viable option.
William and Mary were quite a different situation. The Queen hasn't done a full investiture this year, she 'invests' people privately at Windsor or BP.

Charles will never have the same gravitas as The Queen, and especially if he is Monarch at the same time. The press will have a field day with all the 'stealing the crown' 'can't wait' comments.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,123
In Britain a Regency is defined by law - the monarch must be unable to undertake their duties and it has to be signed off by a number of different people.

The co-monarchy of William and Mary came about because William was 3rd in line to the throne in his own right - line from James II was Mary, Anne, William. He was also the leader of an invading force. It was made very clear that William's own children from anyone other than Mary would be behind Anne and her children in the line of succession.

Would Britain like a co-monarchy - definitely not. The Queen will soldier on until her last breath unless she is mentally unable to do so in which case a Regency will be declared with Charles as Regent and he will then carry out all the monarch's duties and sign all the legislation that a Regent is legally able to do (a Regent can't sign legislation that changes the line of succession or something that affects the Presbyterian Church in Scotland).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MO, United States
Posts: 99
I hope HM never abdicates. It is possible (if not likely) that she will delegate a large chunk of her duties to Charles if she becomes ill or when the Duke of Edinburgh dies (I have a feeling she will probably wind down quite a bit after that).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,123
She won't abdicate.

Charles already does a lot for her.

If she is unable to carry out her duties a Regency will be declared with Charles as Regent until she dies when he will become King.

It is really quite simple - The Queen will never ever abdicate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She won't abdicate.

Charles already does a lot for her.

If she is unable to carry out her duties a Regency will be declared with Charles as Regent until she dies when he will become King.

It is really quite simple - The Queen will never ever abdicate.
Fully agree with you, the Queen will never abdicate. C&C already do quite a lot, and will continue to take on more of HMs burden.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 AM
EarlOfDawleyMagna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Telford, United Kingdom
Posts: 23
I guess time will tell. As I say we are in near unchartered waters. It's a very good opportunity to set a new Precedence. It would certainly sort out the Camilla issue as 'Princess Consort' then when Charles is solo King he could elevate her to Queen Consort without having broken what the announcement said Camilla's title would be.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 AM
vkrish's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 841
Though I am dead set against abdication, I not not even eager to see a 102-year old Queen in infirmity, 81-year old Prince Regent having to stay back from most engagements due to health issues, and 46-year old William taking over all investitures, etc.
All I can hope (only for good) is the Queen passes away at the right time, but then it is only in the hands of God. And none of us can judge/desire/expect it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlOfDawleyMagna View Post
It would certainly sort out the Camilla issue as 'Princess Consort' then when Charles is solo King he could elevate her to Queen Consort without having broken what the announcement said Camilla's title would be.
There's no "issue", when Charles becomes King, Camilla will be his Queen. It would take an act of parliament to strip her of her title. No need for elevation.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 02-23-2013, 01:13 PM
EarlOfDawleyMagna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Telford, United Kingdom
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

There's no "issue", when Charles becomes King, Camilla will be his Queen. It would take an act of parliament to strip her of her title. No need for elevation.
Yes technically that is true! I for one want Camilla to be Queen and fully agree that by law the wife of a King is Queen, however upon the announcement of their marriage it was made very clear that Camilla would be styled Princess Consort when Charles accedes. Much in the same way Camilla is legally Princess Of Wales but styled Duchess Of Cambridge. I feel this was said at the time to make the public more accepting of the marriage. But to go against it now Charles would lose face. That is the tricky issue he has placed himself in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlOfDawleyMagna View Post
Yes technically that is true! I for one want Camilla to be Queen and fully agree that by law the wife of a King is Queen, however upon the announcement of their marriage it was made very clear that Camilla would be styled Princess Consort when Charles accedes. Much in the same way Camilla is legally Princess Of Wales but styled Duchess Of Cambridge. I feel this was said at the time to make the public more accepting of the marriage. But to go against it now Charles would lose face. That is the tricky issue he has placed himself in.
Whatever the intention was in 2005, all it would take would be a statement from the PM of the day to say that they have advised the new monarch that his wife should be known by the traditional title of a kings wife which is Queen Consort. Anyway, discussions of Camillas future title is off topic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlOfDawleyMagna View Post

Yes technically that is true! I for one want Camilla to be Queen and fully agree that by law the wife of a King is Queen, however upon the announcement of their marriage it was made very clear that Camilla would be styled Princess Consort when Charles accedes. Much in the same way Camilla is legally Princess Of Wales but styled Duchess Of Cambridge. I feel this was said at the time to make the public more accepting of the marriage. But to go against it now Charles would lose face. That is the tricky issue he has placed himself in.
It wasn't made 'clear', it was mentioned once and hasn't been mentioned again. I doubt anybody will actually remember it unless you follow royalty, so he won't loose face with the mass public.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 PM
EarlOfDawleyMagna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Telford, United Kingdom
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

It wasn't made 'clear', it was mentioned once and hasn't been mentioned again. I doubt anybody will actually remember it unless you follow royalty, so he won't loose face with the mass public.
It was more than clear it was mentioned all over the news and in all subsequent 'should Camilla be Queen?' type debates ever since. It only needs to be mentioned once, it was part of the official wedding announcement issued by Clarence House. It wasn't just a flippant remark and mark my words when Charles accedes he will be expected to adhere to his words. Personally I feel he shouldn't have mentioned the issue at all in the wedding announcement.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlOfDawleyMagna View Post

It was more than clear it was mentioned all over the news and in all subsequent 'should Camilla be Queen?' type debates ever since. It only needs to be mentioned once, it was part of the official wedding announcement issued by Clarence House. It wasn't just a flippant remark and mark my words when Charles accedes he will be expected to adhere to his words. Personally I feel he shouldn't have mentioned the issue at all in the wedding announcement.
Exactly why should he 'adhere' to words that probably weren't even his?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 578
How embarrassing Camilla the only Princess Consort in Europe. For Gods sake Charles man up and declare Camilla Princess of Wales.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABBA singing "Dancing Queen" for the Swedish King and Queen allison513 Royal House of Sweden 34 11-19-2011 01:24 AM
Queen Fawzia and Queen Soraya were they involved in their country's development ? FarahJoy The Imperial Family of Iran 15 12-15-2009 07:53 PM
Valdemar II the Victorious, Queen Dagmar and Queen Berengária norwegianne Danish Royal History 2 11-10-2007 04:54 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander norway picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim prince laurent princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sheikh state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]