The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
She is such a classy lady, I feel that no matter who takes over for her, it will be a disappointment. .... I hope she continues with good healthy and continues to enjoy her job.
God Bless the Queen.
I agree wholeheartedly. She has devoted herself to her country. Her husband has devoted himself to the same service. Among her children, I only see Anne as having the same quiet devotion to service and strong principles. In rougher situations than any of her siblings have faced - for instance, the kidnapping attempt - Anne has shown herself to be the true daughter of both of her parents, in the finest sense. Anne received, through accident of birth, the best of her Royal parents, and the most limited forums through which to express it. Nonetheless, she is and remains the hardest working Royal, in the mold of Philip and Elizabeth.

Pity that it's not a matriarchy; it seems that while the UK has been able to soldier on through all types of poorly qualified kings - from temperament to disease to selfcentered self-indulgence, to drunkenness and buggery and and insanity - the queens regnant have been extraordinary.

I wish Her Majesty long life, and peace. May she outpace the years of her mother, and may her consort live to ogle women and outrage the press for many years more as well.

No abdication for this lady. She was built of stronger stuff, forged during Empire. And thank heavens there is no clamor at all for her abdication; it's heartening to know that her subjects realize her service is honorable and valuable.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. She has devoted herself to her country. Her husband has devoted himself to the same service. Among her children, I only see Anne as having the same quiet devotion to service and strong principles. In rougher situations than any of her siblings have faced - for instance, the kidnapping attempt - Anne has shown herself to be the true daughter of both of her parents, in the finest sense. Anne received, through accident of birth, the best of her Royal parents, and the most limited forums through which to express it. Nonetheless, she is and remains the hardest working Royal, in the mold of Philip and Elizabeth.

Last year Charles was actually the hardest working royal in terms on engagements done.

He has given unqualified service to the Queen and his country since he turned 18, proved his metal when fired on in a crowd in Sydney.

He is often laughed at and/or despised and put down due to the mistake he made in marrying the wrong woman (but Anne isn't to be condemned for marrying the wrong man). His other failing seems to be a man ahead of his time in espousing causes 20 years before they became fashionable to do so e.g. the environment.

Charles has inherited his parents' total dedication to the role of monarch and is continuing to be trained as the future monarch.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Courtier

I doubt sincerely and deeply the Her Majesty will ever abdicate. I believe that she meant what she said, that the whole of her life will be dedicated to her subjects, in service to them.

She's a remarkable woman in every respect, and I wish her a life span exceeding that of her mother. I wish her peace in her later years, a peace earned by the steel testing of many personal and "professional" tragedies.

I find it genuinely ghoulish to trumpet the virtues of her logistic heirs. It's a tad unseemly, as though one is wishing her death so that another might grasp power. One wonders, who on earth wishes her dead?

I'd rather wish her long life and a successful reign. By virture of her steadfastness to her Faith, to her vows, to her country, she has certainly earned at least that modicum of respect. What is it that the saying is? "Who looks for the shoes of the dead?" Not I. Not now.

Long and happy life, Your Majesty.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Pity that it's not a matriarchy; it seems that while the UK has been able to soldier on through all types of poorly qualified kings - from temperament to disease to selfcentered self-indulgence, to drunkenness and buggery and and insanity - the queens regnant have been extraordinary.
IMO, if your last paragraph is not a back handed put down of Prince Charles then what is it? Certainly not a compliment.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Courtier

Hello AuroraB - goodness, haven't seen you before! Never in my last paragraph did I say that Charles was a drunkard, a buggerer, insane, diseased, etc.

I was saying - and I think rather clearly - that through the march of history, the UK has had a variety of kings with many, many faults - but that their queens have been extraordinary and remarkable people!

Must it be that an observation about an entire gender over the course of time be interpreted as a condemnation of the current POW?

I am and continue to say that a matriarchy might have served the UK well over the years, given the remarkable woman who now rules, and her (few and far between) female antecedents.

Of course, if you are determined to view my wishes for Her Majesty for a long life and my admiration for her daughter and for the female Queens Regnant of the UK as a slur on Charles, then of course one sees what one wishes to see, and I am absolutely not a mind reader nor in control of your thought process.

Long life and good health to Her Majesty - or will you not join me in that wish?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Commoner

there's anything wrong with that, she has her own opinions just as I do with monarchy of my own country...

Anyway back to the topic,
I must say that this lady should live 30 more years if that's possible. May God Bless her. Becuase definately I don't see Charles as a king or William for that matter, with all due respect.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Courtier

It's really not about her heirs, I believe. It's about Her Majesty.

She's done, as she has always done, duty. Her duty. Above all. When all else went to pieces and in a variety of circumstances, she has always, always, responded to her duty.

Is there some sort of movement afoot to force her into retirement? A wise person once said, never fear your predecessors, only your successors. Should she be wary of her lawful heir, that so many here seem to leap to conclusions and tout his "qualifications?" What is this endless drumbeat here touting her heir? I'm not in the UK; is there some strange conspiracy to unseat a sane, healthy, devoted, faithful and ordained head of state, in favor of her son?

What on earth is going on, if that's the rumblings? Again, as I have stated previously, I'm simply not a mind reader.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

I wish Her Majesty long life, and peace. May she outpace the years of her mother, and may her consort live to ogle women and outrage the press for many years more as well.

No abdication for this lady. She was built of stronger stuff, forged during Empire. And thank heavens there is no clamor at all for her abdication; it's heartening to know that her subjects realize her service is honorable and valuable.
I can't resist to write an answer on this post In my personal opinion I always thought, its a pity that the british monarchy isn't a matriarchy - think of Anne as a queen and then Zara - I suppose, it would turn more than well with them, both hard working, charismatic, full of power.

But be that as it may, it isn't a matriarchy and I think, Charles also does a good job, I really have respect for him.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Courtier

Dierna23 I can't resist to write an answer on this post In my personal opinion I always thought, its a pity that the british monarchy isn't a matriarchy - think of Anne as a queen and then Zara - I suppose, it would turn more than well with them, both hard working, charismatic, full of power.

I know. So many incredible women, so much wasted talent! I'm glad that Anne has been getting the well-deserved accolades for her work. And Zara is level-headed and resourceful. What strong stuff could be made of this clay!

Even thinking this....I'm still glad Her Majesty is in good health both mentally and physically, and I'm pretty astonished that there are so many who are so eager to shove her six feet under and promote her secondari.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Courtier

The Queen remains foremost, of course. Again, I have to ask - is there some sort of anti-QE outcry, or perhaps even sword-rattling by her heir, that leads so many posters here to beat the drums for the POW and denigrate HM by comparison? In my view, between the Queen and the POW, there simply is no comparison.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Is there some sort of movement afoot to force her into retirement?
In no way would this even be a consideration by the 'possible' few that would have any such influence, I think it fairly safe to assume.

The respect and affection felt for this dutiful lady throughout Britain, the Commonwealth and further abroad is influence enough to keep any such "party" at bay many times over. She is THE Queen, and that is that. For EIIR, retirement and death are one in the same.

It's expected that there will be those who would like to see Charles succeed his mother sooner rather than later; that's what happens when you come across those that take a sincere interest and liking in a particular royal personage. In this instance, that person is Charles.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the clarification, MadameRoyale. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that TRF is a very small slice of a greater world, in which we share our fascination with things royal.

It's good to know that no one is trying to scuttle HM. I am an ardent supporter of democracy, and yet I admire HM greatly and find that the speculation about her potential abdication to be unseemly power jockeying. In many ways, it's of no matter if her secondari were a pock-marked syphilitic or a paragon of all that is holy. If the current ruler, HM, is sane, responsive, intelligent and well-liked, then the rush to shovel her underground to promote another seems inappropriate.

I believe, as you do, that the Queen has made this commitment for life.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would rather see HM abdicate whilst she is in full control of her faculties, unlike QEQM who had become quite doddery, years before her death.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Though there is nothing to suggest that she’ll succumb to a degenerative state in the years to come, either. And as long as she retains her mental capacity, I couldn't possibly see why she would need to abdicate.

If by chance (and I hope it doesn't happen) she were to decline mentally then at the most, I'd anticipate a regency to be enacted in HM name. But abdication? She made a lifelong oath and deserves (especially after so many years of devoted service and self sacrifice) the support to see out that commitment, imo...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I was saying - and I think rather clearly - that through the march of history, the UK has had a variety of kings with many, many faults - but that their queens have been extraordinary and remarkable people!
Might I just say that not all of our Queens have been that extraordinary and remarkable. We have had our fair share or remarkable Kings. And I believe Charles will be one of them.
I also think that Anne would be a wonderful Monarch, but Zara i do not think so.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen will not abdicate, she will remain Queen until the day she dies. We know the Queen is a very religious woman, and on her coronation day she was anointed and consecrated and swore to "rule and govern" her peoples until she draws her last breath.

It's most likely the Queen will be around for a number of years yet. She seems to be in good health and like her mother, I can see her carrying out public duties into her 90s.

I kind of feel that after the Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Queen will go into some form of retirement. I think Charles will take over many of the public function such as traveling abroad. But the Queen will always remain THE Queen.

The Queen's death will change a lot of things. I know the monarchy will continue in Britain, but mostly likely all the commonwealth realms will become republics and indeed the British Monarch will probably no longer be its head.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I would rather see HM abdicate whilst she is in full control of her faculties, unlike QEQM who had become quite doddery, years before her death.
I agree with you, but it seems like with the popes (and it wasn't really nice to see how John Paul II. crucified himself in his last years IMO) - its a job for life. And maybe it will be possible with Charles one day, but I don't think, HM would ever think of abdiction.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 AM

I hope she does not abdicate. The Queen is a stron women and it has been taught to her that her duties are her life and she will no step down.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 AM

It is amazing how much information there is to all of this
Old 04-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I also think that Anne would be a wonderful Monarch, but Zara i do not think so.
I agree wholeheartedly. Zara would struggle with the duties involved with being the monarch becuase her mother has made sure she has no part in official royal engagements.

I find suggestions that the Queen will go into a 'retirement' after the Diamond Jubilee and for Chalres to undertake most of her duties odd. The situation would result in a virtual Regency, except the Queen will not be going mad (like King George III) and will probably be able to perform her role as Head of State. If Her Majesty was unfortionate enough to go a bit doddery as she ages then I would expect her to abdicate. If she had a choice and was of sound mind and body, then I cannot see her giving up the role she pledged her life to carry out.

Tags
abdication, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, regency, retirement