The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they have more important things to do, but if they don't have the decency to wait till the Queen is no longer on the throne - so just get it done. But as I've said before: It's not democratic to abolish the monarchy without a referendum.

I'm sure they have more important things to do, but if they don't have the decency to wait till the Queen is no longer on the throne - so just get it done. But as I've said before: It's not democratic to abolish the monarchy without a referendum.

I am not familiar with the constitution of Jamaica as I am with the constitutions of Australia and Canada for example, but it seems that a constitutional amendment to abolish the monarchy would require a 2/3 majority in the Senate and the House of Representatives. The current leader of the opposition favors keeping the Queen as a head of State and, therefore, it is unlikely there will be the necessary bipartisan support to pass the amendment.

Can anyone more familiar with Jamaican politics comment on that ?

9 June 2016

The atmosphere was full of comradery and optimism today as The Queen shook hands with athletes, young people, High Commissioners and staff at the launch of a new Commonwealth Hub. The ceremony took place at Marlborough House, the Commonwealth’s headquarters in London.

The Commonwealth Hub will be located directly across from Marlborough House in a building to be renamed Commonwealth House. It will become the home of a network of Commonwealth accredited organisations.

Today, the Commonwealth Games Federation, the Royal Commonwealth Society and the Commonwealth Local Government Forum agreed to move their main offices to the site. There are also plans to install an education centre. The Commonwealth Secretariat, the Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council and the Commonwealth Foundation are already located at Marlborough House, bringing the number of Commonwealth organisations at the same location to six.

Inviting The Queen to unveil a special plaque to mark the launch, Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland described the monarch as the source of inspiration for the Hub.
Read more: The Queen inspires new hub for Commonwealth organisations | The Commonwealth

Thanks to Rudolph and iceflower for their posts about this!

Video:
The Queen has visited Marlborough House in central London this morning, to launch the ‘Commonwealth Hub’ – a new initiative designed to bring together different Commonwealth organisations to foster creative collaboration. Amongst those organisations involved in the new project are the Commonwealth Games Federation, the Royal Commonwealth Society and the Commonwealth Local Government Forum.
Home - ITNSource News

And our 90 year old Queen appears to be in excellent form, as usual:
http://thecommonwealth.org/sites/de.../images/news-item/QandSG620.jpg?itok=2bMfIpyL

Last edited:
When Prince William appeared on the cover of the July Issue of Attitude, one of the world’s most widely-circulated LGBT magazines, he was setting a new standard of royal acceptance of LGBT issues, not just in the UK but globally – and, importantly, within the Commonwealth of Nations.

Prince William is not one to hide his advocacy and activism. He has been involved in many social issues including raising the profile of mental health in the UK. When he met with the LGBT community to hear first-hand the peril of being LGBT and facing bullying, stigma and discrimination it was barrier-breaking, even here in the UK.

In his comment to the LGBT community, Prince William said: “Bullying is abuse that can end lives, and it has no place in any society”. This rings true to many LGBT people who lived in the Commonwealth.

As the Queen and Prince Charles get older, the responsibility of becoming Head of State will soon fall on William’s shoulders, and it’s safe to say that we might be seeing a more proactive head of the Commonwealth when it comes to human rights progress. However, this wont be an easy ride for the progressive, modernising Prince. The Commonwealth, with its 53 member states, is one that is riddled with extreme homophobia.
Read more: ‘Prince William’s Attitude cover sends a clear message to the Commonwealth’ | Attitude Magazine

"FOR BBC ONE VIEWERS tomorrow, 13 March 2017, from 14.45.
The Commonwealth Service will be attended by:
Her Majesty The Queen
His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh
His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall
His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales
His Royal Highness The Duke of York
His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex
The Commonwealth Service is Britain's largest annual inter-faith gathering, held on the second Monday in March each year."

BBC One - A Service of Celebration for Commonwealth Day, 2017

https://www.royal.uk/commonwealth-day-message-her-majesty-queen-head-commonwealth

"Commonwealth Day Message by Her Majesty The Queen"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/778271/queen-commonwealth-message-peace-respect-world

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: BBC One sent this service last year too, but that was as part of the Queen's 90th birthday coverage. I was therefore surprised when I discovered that it will be televised this year too.

Queen sends Commonwealth Games baton on its way to Australia in Buckingham Palace ceremony
The Queen has set the Commonwealth Games baton on its journey around the globe following a ceremony at Buckingham Palace, ahead of a service at Westminster Abbey.

Her Majesty will on Monday afternoon call on Commonwealth countries to “overcome division and find reconciliation”, urging further collaboration for a prosperous future.

She will advocate “consensus and cooperation”, in her annual message to the public on Commonwealth Day on Monday, calling for the 2.5 billion people who share that connection to come together.
The Queen launches a Commonwealth Games relay | Daily Mail Online

Queen Elizabeth II Photos Photos - The Queen's Baton Relay For The XXI Commonwealth Games Launch - Zimbio

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think of all the colors in the rainbow that HM wears (along with matching umbrellas), I like her best when she wears yellow. Yellow isn't a easy color for most people to pull off but put HM in yellow and its like a ray of sunshine.

In addition to the videos from polyesco, here are two videos of HM leaving the Abbey:
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/841324195594231808
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/841324546892283905

Pictures/video of the royal family arriving/leaving:
Queen Elizabeth II Photos Photos - Commonwealth Day Service & Reception - Zimbio

The Queen and senior members of the Royal Family have attended a Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey in central London this afternoon, to mark Commonwealth Day. The service coincides with the start of the Queen’s Baton’ Relay at Buckingham Palace earlier today, and shortly before their arrival, British Olympic champion Jessica Ennis-Hill carried the baton into the service – as it continues its 388-day journey towards Australia, ahead of next year’s Commonwealth Games.
Home - ITNSource News

Article by the Daily Fail:
The Queen attends Commonwealth Day service* | Daily Mail Online
She's had a busy day of engagements but the Queen found time for a quick outfit change before heading to the Commonwealth Day service this afternoon.

Earlier today she looked resplendent in fuchsia pink to launch a relay race at Buckingham Palace, and just hours later she arrived at Westminster Abbey in a yellow coat with statement silver buttons and a feather trimmed hat.

The monarch, 90, was joined by her grandson Prince Harry as well as her sons Edward and Charles - with his wife Camilla - for the annual service of Thanksgiving.

Future of the Monarchy for the Commonwealth Realm

How are things going to pan out for the House of Windsor in the Commonwealth Realm outside of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? I am of course talking about Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the other nations that recognize QEII as Head of State? How does the future look for them?

-Frozen Royalist

Our futures look great.

Whether we will bother sticking with the monarchy is largely irrelevant to our futures.

HM is a nice old lady but the reality is she doesn't have anything to do with the country, hardly ever comes here - sure when she does she is warmly welcomed but the visits are very few and in between.

Will us becoming a republic sometime in the future affect us in any real way - no.

We are an independent nation who happens to have a foreigner as a Head of State but other than that we do our own thing and she has nothing to say about what happens here at all any more (thanks to the Australia Act which removed any residual rights/powers etc of the UK or the monarchy in Australia).

According to the following article "The Commonwealth has secretly begun considering who might succeed the Queen as its head, the BBC has learned.
The issue is hugely sensitive because the role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death
."

Commonwealth in secret succession plans - BBC News

Hardly a 'secret'. It was openly reported as being a topic of conversation when Julia Gillard was Aussie PM and she attended CHOGM. She came out and said Charles was the obvious person to take the lead. She has been out of the PM's job since June 2013 so it was openly discussed as far back as then - so hardly a 'secret' at all.

Whilst I appreciate other contenders for the 'Headship' may be considered [other than the Prince of Wales], who, realistically has the [apolitical] 'gravitas', and Worldwide 'profile' necessary ?

I am glad to hear that the Prince of Wales will officially represent the Queen at the opening of the Commonwealth Games in Australia. Will the Duchess of Cornwall attend too ? She is not mentioned in the tweet.

I suspect C&C will do a trip to Aus & NZ for the Commonwealth Games, and will do a few more events around there.

The Commonwealth Secretariat has denied that a high level group of Commonwealth officials has met in London to consider who might succeed the Queen as its head.

In a statement, it maintained that the issue of succession was not on its agenda.

The BBC reported that the meeting on Tuesday would include a discussion of “wider governance considerations” which insiders say is code for the succession
Read more: Succession of Head of Commonwealth role ‘not part of group’s mandate’ | BT

I am glad to hear that the Prince of Wales will officially represent the Queen at the opening of the Commonwealth Games in Australia. Will the Duchess of Cornwall attend too ? She is not mentioned in the tweet.

The news here reported, a couple of weeks ago now, that she isn't coming despite the invitation from the Qld government for both of them to attend. She has never been listed as coming ... only that both of them were invited.

There is also some bloke threatening to take them both to court to 'prove' he is their 'love-child' even though he was born in the mid-60s now claiming that he is the reason she has pulled out. https://www.newidea.com.au/prince-charles-camilla-love-child-simon-day-speaks-out (a garbage rag by the way but it does have the story which has also been reported in other media as well).

Camilla - of course - didn't 'mysteriously disappear' but went to a Swiss finishing school.

It is also well known that they didn't meet until later and there are various reports about when Charles had his first full encounter with a woman - which again was much later.

But he can dream ...

This is a link to the Julia Gillard statement from 2013 Julia Gillard backs Queen's successor as Commonwealth head - BBC News in which she clearly shows her support for Charles and makes it clear that she wouldn't have said that in isolation One has to assume that her public statement followed private soundings. The mood music, for now, is that a body born out of the collapse of the British empire appears content to have an unelected monarch as its next head.

Of course the inclusion of the phrase 'for now' could mean that things have changed since 2013 but I doubt it.

There cannot realistically be any suggestion that HM should be followed by anyone other than Charles, and after him William. No one with a really high public profile across the world would exactly be lining up for it. Equally, a former PM of Australia or Pakistan or Barbados etc. etc. would simply not be able to bring to the organisation the kind of PR it needs to justify its existence.

Say what you like about the Commonwealth, the BRF play an enormous role in keeping it relevant. I suspect that, if you take away that personal connection, something would be lost from it. It's doing good things across a whole range of sectors and it would be sad to see it diminished.

I am glad to hear that the Prince of Wales will officially represent the Queen at the opening of the Commonwealth Games in Australia. Will the Duchess of Cornwall attend too? She is not mentioned in the tweet.

I have only seen confirmation for Prince Charles and Prince Edward.
My guess is that Camilla’s participation would depend on the length of the trip. She doesn’t handle long-distance travel well, so I assume if Charles is only in Australia for a couple of days she won’t go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom