The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that The Queen didn't mention any upcoming State Visits for her and Prince Philip in her Speech today. The DM also pointed this out. She usually make those kind of announcements in her previous speeches at the Opening.

Maybe because there aren't any upcoming state visits, the last time visits were included in the speech was 2010.

Yeah, I figured that was the case.

It would be a little insulting to Sri Lanka if The Queen missed the CHOGM meeting and then flew for a state visit to Australia or the far east. We haven't seen a US visit since 2011 I think, that would be nice. Somehow I think the end of far flung tours are over.

I think the really long haul trips such as Australia and New Zealand are out of the queens range. Canada could still be in the picture. It's around 7 -8 hours to Ontario . With a trip to Canada , it is a Canadian Air Force plane not a scheduled British Air flight. She could do the European countries. Maybe they will do the Italy trip that was missed in the spring.

No one has ruled out a visit to places like Australia and although it could be seen as insulting by some visiting a country like Australia where the food and water are fine is different to visiting a country like Sri Lanka where there are questions about the reliability of these products I don't think that would be taken that way at all - as long as the Australia trip wasn't instead of the Sri Lankan trip.

Last edited:
I kind of think if the Queen is going to stop doing the more far flung tours, she's also going to limit the less far flung ones as well, if not outright stop them.

To me, it would seem insulting if she continued to do trips to Canada while not going to Australia or other more far flung realms.

I kind of think if the Queen is going to stop doing the more far flung tours, she's also going to limit the less far flung ones as well, if not outright stop them.

To me, it would seem insulting if she continued to do trips to Canada while not going to Australia or other more far flung realms.
Why should the Aussies or the Kiwis care how many times HM visits Canada It likely doesnt even get press attention there.

We Aussies have always been aware that she goes to Canada at least twice as much as she comes here - but that is also because she is invited there more often whereas she is usually only invited here for some very important reason.

No one has ruled out a visit to places like Australia and although it could be seen as insulting by some visiting a country like Australia where the food and water are fine is different to visiting a country like Sri Lanka where there are questions about the reliability of these products I don't think that would be taken that way at all - as long as the Australia trip wasn't instead of the Sri Lankan trip.

Come on, ILuvbertie, no nation is so bad that it cant provide good food and clean drinking water to a visiting foreign Head of State. That would be the lamest excuse they will have to give. Even if some palace officials and advisors still in colonial hangover think so, they can always carry their own food, water and even toilet papers.
So I definitely dont think that is the actual reason. This leaves us with only two possibilities..
1. The Queen's health is actually bad enough to take long flights and tours and will be permitting herself to local engagements.
In that case there wont be any future visits to Australia/Canada.
2. The Queen is purposefully staying behind to promote Prince Charles as future Head of Commonwealth. This is also a sensible idea. Since that is happening on full force on domestic front, let it start simultaneously throughout Commonwealth also..

Most of us don't give much thought to the health risks of long flights, specifically deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can be fatal. The risk is increased in the elderly. The queen is wise to minimize or avoid long flights at her advanced age.

Most of us don't give much thought to the health risks of long flights, specifically deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can be fatal. The risk is increased in the elderly. The queen is wise to minimize or avoid long flights at her advanced age.

Also I think the time zone differences and jet lag would create havoc in an elderly person more severely than in a younger person.

I love the Commonwealth Games, and I was thinking of trying to go to them next year in Glasgow.

Not sure where to do this but The Queen's Baton Relay is live on BBC1 at the minute. Can't believe I was there this weekend!

@BritishMonarchy: The baton contains a message from The Queen which was signed by Her Majesty at Balmoral Castle this summer: http://t.co/U0uG42nl16

The Queen is so cute, I love her wee smile. :)

Sir Chris Hoy in a kilt was extra amazing. One thing though, I do not like Sophie Raworth. Not sure why, but she does get on my nerves. Totally unrelated and off topic!

When are the games? Next summer?

The Queen is so cute, I love her wee smile. :) Sir Chris Hoy in a kilt was extra amazing. One thing though, I do not like Sophie Raworth. Not sure why, but she does get on my nerves. Totally unrelated and off topic! When are the games? Next summer?

The 2014 Games are 23rd July to 3rd August.

Last edited:

Ths would be true if QE and DoE were strapped in during a commercial flight. Instead they have the luxury of being able to get up, walk around, lie down in a real bed and sleep thru the night. Hardly any risk of DVT in that case.

Ths would be true if QE and DoE were strapped in during a commercial flight. Instead they have the luxury of being able to get up, walk around, lie down in a real bed and sleep thru the night. Hardly any risk of DVT in that case.

What plane do you think she would have been flying? We dont have the equivalent of a Presidential plane

What plane do you think she would have been flying? We dont have the equivalent of a Presidential plane

I believe British Airways has a small suite that can be installed when its larger planes are chartered for VIP use. Several rows of seats are removed, and there's a bed on each side with a small living/office area between the aisles.

Last edited:
I'm sure what ever the exact layout every plane she flies on is fitted out more spaciously than what you or I would fly on. But that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea for ppl nearly at 90.

Actually, no. I've always understood that when the Queen flies it's just regular first class - with no others around except her entourage. Ditto for the UK PM and most all other world leaders except the US president.

The Queen is planning to make a major foreign visit to Malta next year - and bring her three heirs, including toddler Prince George, with her, it can be revealed.

The historic family trip is being mooted for next November when the sovereign, who will be 89, attends the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting (CHOGM) for the first time since 2011.

It would be the first time a monarch and her three heirs - in this case Charles, William and George - have travelled abroad together.
Queen back at the helm with a visit to Malta: Historic family trip planned for next November with her three heirs | Daily Mail Online

William and Charles I can see going to CHOGM with the Queen but why would a 2 year George need to go. Is there a toddler version of the meeting he needs to chair? The meeting is in Malta so it's not like he would be separated for weeks from his parents.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom