The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well seeing as it is "former" why can't she go?

Let's hope the Queen will attend the 2014 Commonwealth Games !
After all, it's not far from Balmoral to Glasgow !

Well seeing as it is "former" why can't she go?

Because State Visits take a long time to organise and three months isn't enough, particularly given the terrorist threats already made for these games.

The Australian government, for instance is monitoring the terrorist threat before fully committing to sending an Australian team (at the moment we are definitely sending a team but if the security advice changes the government won't let them go - remember last year or the year before the Australia tennis team refused to play their Davis Cup tie there and dropped down a level in that competition as a result).

But why would it constitute a state visit?
Would she be going for the whole of the games?

I think it has more to do with the security threats more than anything. Generally, when the Queen opens up the games, she will make a "state" visit to the hosting country as well. Kill two birds with one stone. But this time it is different and perhaps there is a state visit in the works already for India and they cant afford to go twice. Who knows?

Falklands Referendum: Overwhelming Majority Wants to Remain UK Overseas Territory
In a very clear expression of self-determination and loyalty to the Crown, the people of the Falkland Islands have voted overwhelmingly in favour of remaining a UK overseas territory. The referendum had asked a simple question: “Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?” Over 90% of the island’s population eligible to vote took part in the referendum, and of 1,517 votes cast 1,513 were in favour, with only three people voting against.

I suppose this belongs here.

:previous:

I do hope that the Argentinians, and others, respect the decision of the people of the Falkland Islands and that their right to self-determination is assured. I won't hold my breath.

This article is mainly about the upcoming documentary on the Queen, but also suggests that the leaders of the Commonwealth are coming to the conclusion that the Prince of Wales should follow his mother as Head of the Commonwealth, despite its not being an hereditary appointment. The PoW was specifically mentioned by the Commonwealth Secretary General, Kamalesh Sharma.

Cosy and comfy, one's sitting room: Cluttered with treasures and just a little bit messy, the Queen's private retreat | Mail Online

The BBC is also picking up on the same hints from last night's event:

BBC News - Who will lead Commonwealth next?

Actually the Argentinian government has already made clear that the feeling and the vote of the people of the Falklands in irrelevant as far as they are concerned. To them the islands belong to Argentina no matter what the people who live there think. They do not recognize the idea of self determination.
At least it distracts them from their own serious domestic economic problems.

Last edited:
I did find it quite amusing when I heard that the Argentinians felt this vote was "irrelevant" I laughed and said "yeah just because you lost". I don't know much about the politics of this, I don't even know if there is much to know. But do the Argentinians want the Falklands back just so we can't have it?

There is oil in the waters that belong to the Falklands - enough said.

They believe that the people in the Falkland Islands have been 'planted' there by the British. So the fact that some of them have lived there for up to 12 or 13 generations doesn't mean anything. They believe that the population should just be sent back to the UK.

They fail to acknowledge that there was no indigenous population on the islands and there was no successful settlement there until the British took them over.

The irony is in the Argentinians claiming that the Falklands are a British 'colony' and that they belong to Argentina. Argentina didn't exist as a sovereign state when the islands were populated by the British. By the logic that they use, Argentina itself should be handed back to the indigenous peoples whose home it was before the Spanish came and colonised it.

:previous:
Thanks for the info EIIR, it seems to be the case of we'll take it so you can't have it.

There is oil in the waters that belong to the Falklands - enough said.

Now that I didn't know, but it's not surprising.

Queen To Miss Commonwealth Heads' Meeting

The Queen will miss the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting for the first time since 1973, Sky News has learned.

Sources say Prince Charles is set to be announced as the member of the royal family to attend the meeting on her behalf in Sri Lanka later this year.

That isn't a real surprise given both her age and the location of the CHOGM. That is nothing against Sri Lanka which I believe is a beautiful country but it is very hot and humid being a tropical country and for a woman who is used to the more moderate climate in the UK the change, even for a couple of days, would be extreme. She also has an even older husband and has never done an overseas tour without Philip.

It would be wonderful to see Charles undertake this tour on her behalf, with Camilla to accompany him as well, even though she loathes the heat.

All of this assumes that the report is in fact accurate.

Last edited:
BBC News - Queen to miss Commonwealth meeting

BBc report on the Queen not attending. The analysis section is interesting in that it talks about "expect to see less of her".

As I mentioned in another thread a while ago, she has cut back engagements and here is another sample. Quite right IMO.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 3h
The CHOGM decision by Buckingham Palace is an acknowledgement of the Queen's age and of the need to limit her overseas travel.

When Palmer tweeted the story and it said "historic royal announcement" I was intrigued, turned out it was nothing. Didn't they ban The Queen from walking up some steps a while ago? It shouldn't come as a surprise that she's ageing or made it is a surprise for the daily express:)

It's only natural that at 87 that she doesn't make as many long-haul foreign/commonwealth trips. Charles could definitely use more Commonwealth experience, and this is a great way for him to do so.

I don't see this is as a sign of any major health issues or a major slowing down, just a gradual paring back of activities. I don't think we'll see her go overseas anymore except maybe to Canada (and even then I'm not sure that's a given anymore). I don't think anyone expects her to do so at her age.

Let's hope the Queen will attend the 2014 Commonwealth Games !
After all, it's not far from Balmoral to Glasgow !

One thing I never understood is why the Queen didnt go to open the 2010 Commonwealth games in New Delhi?
She was relatively very fit at that time, went to Australia also lateron.
Health was definitely not an issue then. The given excuse of "prior engagements" was not satisfactory, sive she gives utmost priority to Commonwealth..

Maybe because a lot of people expected the New Delhi games to be a disaster ,and they pretty much were, so best not to be associated with them or maybe the Indian government preferred she not attend.

It's only natural that at 87 that she doesn't make as many long-haul foreign/commonwealth trips. Charles could definitely use more Commonwealth experience, and this is a great way for him to do so.

I don't see this is as a sign of any major health issues or a major slowing down, just a gradual paring back of activities. I don't think we'll see her go overseas anymore except maybe to Canada (and even then I'm not sure that's a given anymore). I don't think anyone expects her to do so at her age.

I wouldn't rule out trips in general - the palace has said that they aren't ruling them out, and Prince Philip did just do a trip to Canada.

It's more likely they're taking a number of things into consideration (flight time, climate, the engagement itself, HM's general health, etc) before agreeing to do any engagement. It might just be better to send Charles to some things.

In my opinion, if the Crown wishes to remain Head of the Commonwealth after HM, then it's probably wise to have Charles do more to act on her behalf now, and show that he'll be a good Head once it's his turn, so to speak.

I think also part of the decision might be that whilst important the Queen rarely meets a wide range of people at the Commonwealth meeting itself. I would think if she is going to travel such long distances the Palace would want it to be to carry out important state visits which will have a real impact on people in that country not being kept inside a hotel with all the heads of state/government she already knows.

A major slowing down at 87 is a given. If she weren't the Queen, the idea that she still keeps up this schedule would have us all scratching our heads.

I think that the question IS does the public expect too much of HM at this point?

Maybe because a lot of people expected the New Delhi games to be a disaster ,and they pretty much were, so best not to be associated with them or maybe the Indian government preferred she not attend.

Were you at the Commonwealth Games to claim they were a disaster?

I had three former students and a brother who attended them and they thought they were fantastic, well organised, and went well.

The problem with a lot of the reporting was that is focussed on a couple of issues which could have been better rather than the real successes of the Games e.g. here in Australia Channel 9 kept focussing on the accomodation in the Athletes village in the lead up - I spoke to my brother who was there and was told - Channel 9 are miffed that they didn't get the right to the coverage and so were going to make them appear to be bad and showed ONE apartment and made out that they were all like that while he assured us, and had photos to prove it, that the apartments for athletes and media were as good as any he had come across at Olympics and Commonwealth Games since 1982 when he attended his first such games and hasn't missed any since - already booked in for Glasgow next year (not looking forward to it having made a visit to the city last year after London to look at facilities and saying that they needed a lot of work to be up to standard in two years) and Rio.

The former students who went went as athletes and again had nothing but praise for the games and all also went to London - again praise but two of them did say they preferred New Delhi for atmosphere for all the athletes.

I think also part of the decision might be that whilst important the Queen rarely meets a wide range of people at the Commonwealth meeting itself. I would think if she is going to travel such long distances the Palace would want it to be to carry out important state visits which will have a real impact on people in that country not being kept inside a hotel with all the heads of state/government she already knows.

When she does go to CHOGM she usually undertakes a full visit - state if in a republic - either before or after e.g. last one was in Perth and she spent the week or so before the meeting visiting the eastern states (except NSW) before travelling west for one day of CHOGM and then flying home - she left before the end of the meeting.

That I think is a lot of the thinking here - Sri Lanka in November is hot and humid, uncomfortable for those not used to the heat - there are human rights and war crimes allegations against the government so protesters quite likely to be there thus disrupting her visit - already one Head of Government has said he is boycotting the meeting (Canada's PM) and there may well be others before all is said and done.

I think the Express is gloom mongering. Yes I'm sure the Queen will scale back on extended (read: tiring) events. But I do not ever see her "retiring".

On a totally different note: I found it interesting when the article referred to it being time for the Cambridges and Prince Harry to "step up to the plate". Unless I'm mistaken this is a phrase taken from our American baseball. Is there a British sport, or activity, where this phrase would be used?

Yes, I was working in an official capacity at those Games.

So your opinion differs from the number of people I know, athletes and broadcasters who were there and have been to many other such events and say that they were great (my brother says they were amongst the best games he has ever attended and he has been to 15 such games).

Maybe because a lot of people expected the New Delhi games to be a disaster ,and they pretty much were, so best not to be associated with them

This is not a satisfactory explanation.The Games as such was not a disaster. It went off very well. There were definitely some problems but they never affected the actual events. And BTW if the Queen is not able to accept the deficiencies of Commonwealth countries, and telling off, "We wont come unless you do it as perfect as us British" then whats the point of dedicating herself to Commonwealth and associating with it.Who was going to hold her responsible for a "disaster"..

maybe the Indian government preferred she not attend.
The President of India specifically invited the Queen to come and open the Games, in her State Banquet speech at Windsor, and "see for yourself how much India has progressed since your last visit in 1997."

I actually think after the Queen's '97 visit turned out to be a sour one, thanks to Blair-Cook's planned over-ambitious, silly Kashmir "intervention", the Queen thought it best not to visit India again..Sad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom