The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William and Charles I can see going to CHOGM with the Queen but why would a 2 year George need to go. Is there a toddler version of the meeting he needs to chair? The meeting is in Malta so it's not like he would be separated for weeks from his parents.

Umm probably more to illustrate the symbolism and strength of the monarchy for the Commonwealth.

Also, William did promise a return for his family to Malta.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

It would be nice to see The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Charles & Camilla and William Catherine go to Malta for the CHOGM. I think those six couples should do more things together.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Sorry, what is it the CHOGM?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting -it's a biannual event. The next one is Fall 2015 in Malta

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 1h
Reports that #TheQueen is planning to make a foreign visit to #Malta next year & bring her 3 heirs inc. #PrinceGeorge #CHOGM is NOT correct.

It's a great thought though.

Rob Luke ‏@HCRobLuke 59m
Rumour control: no decisions will be taken about attendance, Royal or Ministerial, at #Malta 2015 #Commonwealth Summit until nearer the time

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It would be nice to see The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Charles & Camilla and William Catherine go to Malta for the CHOGM. I think those six couples should do more things together.
I don't see any reason why William and Catherine should attend the CHOGM, much less young prince George. The Queen is the only person who is supposed to attend the meeting as the titular Head of the Commonwealth. If the Queen can't attend due to old age, then the PoW should represent her as her heir apparent, even though there is no automatic guarantee that "King Charles" will be retained as Head of the Commonwealth when he succeeds his mother.

Please note that being Head of the Commonwealth is not necessarily tied with being Head of State of the UK and the other 15 Commonwealth realms, which are themselves only a fraction of the total Commonwealth membership.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

To answer the question at the start of this thread: The Queen is not the reason why there is still a Commonwealth. There is really no Commonwealth Act, a Commonwealth office (with around 600 staff) at Marlborough House just "because of the Queen".

It is a BIG organization with ministerial and departemental councils, expert groups, research, etc. on all possible areas concerning the Commonwealth nations. So to answer the questions: yes, the Commonwealth will remain after the passing away of Her Majesty.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Royal Britain, it was written:
After 1949 it was no longer a requirement for Commonwealth countries to pledge an allegiance to the crown.

Why was this not a requirement?
Old 12-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Moderator Emeritus

India was planning to become a republic in the near future but wanted to remain in the Commonwealth.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Before 1948 citizens of the Dominions and many Commonwealth countries were classed as British subjects.

This explains the changes.

British Nationality Act 1948 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@gordonrayner: Prime Minister of Barbados says he wants to replace the Queen as head of state. Expect a royal visit to Barbados imminently!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 1h 1 hour ago
Will the Queen soon reign over 15 not 16 countries? Barbados PM, Freundel Stuart, says the island will become a republic in the near future.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
@gordonrayner: Prime Minister of Barbados says he wants to replace the Queen as head of state. Expect a royal visit to Barbados imminently!
Darn, what a shame Catherine is pregnant! (I jest...)

Jokes aside though, if the Cambridges went I am sure it would work in the House of Windsor's favour.

I see nothing wrong with Barbados wanting to be a Republic. I am sure in the future more and more countries will become republic's.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post

I see nothing wrong with Barbados wanting to be a Republic. I am sure in the future more and more countries will become republic's.
I agree. The head of state should be a representative of the country. I admire the Queen and the British Royal Family, but I want the head of the state in my country to be a U.S. citizen.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Royal Highness

It's not the first time they have tried to become a Republic. And I don't think we will se a royal visit to Barbados now.

I am a strong constitutional monarchist and I think that it is the people of Barbados who should decide this through a referendum and not the government / parliament, but I find it odd that a country shall have a foreigner as head of state. In modern democracies such as Canada, Australia and New zealand it will likely be held referendums after the Queen death, but I doubt that those who support a republic in those countries will succeed.

Republicanism in Barbados - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barbados PM says island will replace the Queen and move towards republic - Telegraph
Old 03-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness

More fool them, if they go ahead with this..

Not a whiff of corruption around HMQ, which is not something that can be said of the Barbadian politicians [who are likely to form the pool from which any President is drawn].
Old 03-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Darn, what a shame Catherine is pregnant! (I jest...)

Jokes aside though, if the Cambridges went I am sure it would work in the House of Windsor's favour.

Jamaica's current PM has been saying that for years. Yet, Jamaica remains a monarchy.

Having a republican PM, or even a republican party in power (like Labor in Australia or New Zealand) doesn't necessarily mean the abolition of the monarchy is imminent.

Having said that, I expect republicanism to intensify in some Commonwealth realms if and when Charles becomes King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
It's not the first time they have tried to become a Republic. And I don't think we will se a royal visit to Barbados now.

I am a strong constitutional monarchist and I think that it is the people of Barbados who should decide this through a referendum and not the government / parliament, but I find it odd that a country shall have a foreigner as head of state. In modern democracies such as Canada, Australia and New zealand it will likely be held referendums after the Queen death, but I doubt that those who support a republic in those countries will succeed.

Republicanism in Barbados - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barbados PM says island will replace the Queen and move towards republic - Telegraph

Australia had a referendum not so long ago (1999 ?). I think the question there is settled at least for a generation.

I don't see a republican referendum in Canada either, with or without Queen Elizabeth II. The reason is not that Canadians are staunch monarchists, which they are not, but rather because:

1) None of the two major political parties in Canada advocates the end of the monarchy.

2) Abolishing the monarchy in Canada would require an agreement between the federal Parliament and all 10 provinces.

3) Most Canadians feel that republicanism is a minor/unimportant issue compared to the more relevant constitutional questions such as how to accomodate Quebec in the Union.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If countries want a referendum they should be allowed one. Why should they be forced into something the majority of the nation doesn't want?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If countries want a referendum they should be allowed one. Why should they be forced into something the majority of the nation doesn't want?
The Commonwealth realms are independent countries. Calling a referendum is entirely up to them, following of course the procedure laid out in their respective constitutions. Neither the Queen as HoS nor the UK parliament have a say on this matter, at least not in Australia, Canada or New Zealand.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The Commonwealth realms are independent countries. Calling a referendum is entirely up to them, following of course the procedure laid out in their respective constitutions. Neither the Queen as HoS nor the UK parliament have a say on this matter, at least not in Australia, Canada or New Zealand.

I don't understand your point?

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii