The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

Most of us don't give much thought to the health risks of long flights, specifically deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can be fatal. The risk is increased in the elderly. The queen is wise to minimize or avoid long flights at her advanced age.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWillie View Post
Most of us don't give much thought to the health risks of long flights, specifically deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can be fatal. The risk is increased in the elderly. The queen is wise to minimize or avoid long flights at her advanced age.
Also I think the time zone differences and jet lag would create havoc in an elderly person more severely than in a younger person.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Glasgow 2014: Queen to launch Commonwealth Games baton relay

BBC News - Glasgow 2014: Queen to launch Commonwealth Games baton relay
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love the Commonwealth Games, and I was thinking of trying to go to them next year in Glasgow.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Not sure where to do this but The Queen's Baton Relay is live on BBC1 at the minute. Can't believe I was there this weekend!

@BritishMonarchy: The baton contains a message from The Queen which was signed by Her Majesty at Balmoral Castle this summer: http://t.co/U0uG42nl16
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen is so cute, I love her wee smile. :)

Sir Chris Hoy in a kilt was extra amazing. One thing though, I do not like Sophie Raworth. Not sure why, but she does get on my nerves. Totally unrelated and off topic!

When are the games? Next summer?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
The Queen is so cute, I love her wee smile. :) Sir Chris Hoy in a kilt was extra amazing. One thing though, I do not like Sophie Raworth. Not sure why, but she does get on my nerves. Totally unrelated and off topic! When are the games? Next summer?
The 2014 Games are 23rd July to 3rd August.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Majesty

Video:
Commonwealth Games Baton Relay Launch-
Home - ITNSource News

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 8h
#royal #Queen signs message to the Commonwealth to place in baton - relay begins today at Buckingham Palace pic.twitter.com/GbQriHXkTU

Very nice picture of The Queen.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are some more pics of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh during the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games Baton relay launch ceremony today:

** zimbio/gettyimages gallery Queen Elizabeth II Launches The Baton Relay For 2014 Commonwealth Games **

** bbc: Glasgow 2014: Queen launches Commonwealth Games baton relay **
Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Majesty

Don't know if anyone had seen this video:

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Majesty

Pictures:
The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall attends a reception for Commonwealth nations representatives at Buckingham Palace on October 28, 2013 in London-
Commonwealth Nations Reception - Pictures - Zimbio

Pictures:
Commonwealth Nations Reception-
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...Reception+2013#

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWillie View Post
Ths would be true if QE and DoE were strapped in during a commercial flight. Instead they have the luxury of being able to get up, walk around, lie down in a real bed and sleep thru the night. Hardly any risk of DVT in that case.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Ths would be true if QE and DoE were strapped in during a commercial flight. Instead they have the luxury of being able to get up, walk around, lie down in a real bed and sleep thru the night. Hardly any risk of DVT in that case.
What plane do you think she would have been flying? We dont have the equivalent of a Presidential plane

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What plane do you think she would have been flying? We dont have the equivalent of a Presidential plane
I believe British Airways has a small suite that can be installed when its larger planes are chartered for VIP use. Several rows of seats are removed, and there's a bed on each side with a small living/office area between the aisles.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Courtier

I'm sure what ever the exact layout every plane she flies on is fitted out more spaciously than what you or I would fly on. But that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea for ppl nearly at 90.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Nobility

Actually, no. I've always understood that when the Queen flies it's just regular first class - with no others around except her entourage. Ditto for the UK PM and most all other world leaders except the US president.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Majesty

Video:
QUEEN CELEBRATES FAMILY OF NATIONS AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii