The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe because a lot of people expected the New Delhi games to be a disaster ,and they pretty much were, so best not to be associated with them or maybe the Indian government preferred she not attend.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchist-us View Post
It's only natural that at 87 that she doesn't make as many long-haul foreign/commonwealth trips. Charles could definitely use more Commonwealth experience, and this is a great way for him to do so.

I don't see this is as a sign of any major health issues or a major slowing down, just a gradual paring back of activities. I don't think we'll see her go overseas anymore except maybe to Canada (and even then I'm not sure that's a given anymore). I don't think anyone expects her to do so at her age.
I wouldn't rule out trips in general - the palace has said that they aren't ruling them out, and Prince Philip did just do a trip to Canada.

It's more likely they're taking a number of things into consideration (flight time, climate, the engagement itself, HM's general health, etc) before agreeing to do any engagement. It might just be better to send Charles to some things.

In my opinion, if the Crown wishes to remain Head of the Commonwealth after HM, then it's probably wise to have Charles do more to act on her behalf now, and show that he'll be a good Head once it's his turn, so to speak.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Courtier

I think also part of the decision might be that whilst important the Queen rarely meets a wide range of people at the Commonwealth meeting itself. I would think if she is going to travel such long distances the Palace would want it to be to carry out important state visits which will have a real impact on people in that country not being kept inside a hotel with all the heads of state/government she already knows.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchist-us View Post
It's only natural that at 87 that she doesn't make as many long-haul foreign/commonwealth trips. Charles could definitely use more Commonwealth experience, and this is a great way for him to do so.

I don't see this is as a sign of any major health issues or a major slowing down, just a gradual paring back of activities. I don't think we'll see her go overseas anymore except maybe to Canada (and even then I'm not sure that's a given anymore). I don't think anyone expects her to do so at her age.
A major slowing down at 87 is a given. If she weren't the Queen, the idea that she still keeps up this schedule would have us all scratching our heads.

I think that the question IS does the public expect too much of HM at this point?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Maybe because a lot of people expected the New Delhi games to be a disaster ,and they pretty much were, so best not to be associated with them or maybe the Indian government preferred she not attend.

Were you at the Commonwealth Games to claim they were a disaster?

I had three former students and a brother who attended them and they thought they were fantastic, well organised, and went well.

The problem with a lot of the reporting was that is focussed on a couple of issues which could have been better rather than the real successes of the Games e.g. here in Australia Channel 9 kept focussing on the accomodation in the Athletes village in the lead up - I spoke to my brother who was there and was told - Channel 9 are miffed that they didn't get the right to the coverage and so were going to make them appear to be bad and showed ONE apartment and made out that they were all like that while he assured us, and had photos to prove it, that the apartments for athletes and media were as good as any he had come across at Olympics and Commonwealth Games since 1982 when he attended his first such games and hasn't missed any since - already booked in for Glasgow next year (not looking forward to it having made a visit to the city last year after London to look at facilities and saying that they needed a lot of work to be up to standard in two years) and Rio.

The former students who went went as athletes and again had nothing but praise for the games and all also went to London - again praise but two of them did say they preferred New Delhi for atmosphere for all the athletes.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think also part of the decision might be that whilst important the Queen rarely meets a wide range of people at the Commonwealth meeting itself. I would think if she is going to travel such long distances the Palace would want it to be to carry out important state visits which will have a real impact on people in that country not being kept inside a hotel with all the heads of state/government she already knows.

When she does go to CHOGM she usually undertakes a full visit - state if in a republic - either before or after e.g. last one was in Perth and she spent the week or so before the meeting visiting the eastern states (except NSW) before travelling west for one day of CHOGM and then flying home - she left before the end of the meeting.

That I think is a lot of the thinking here - Sri Lanka in November is hot and humid, uncomfortable for those not used to the heat - there are human rights and war crimes allegations against the government so protesters quite likely to be there thus disrupting her visit - already one Head of Government has said he is boycotting the meeting (Canada's PM) and there may well be others before all is said and done.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Were you at the Commonwealth Games to claim they were a disaster?

Yes, I was working in an official capacity at those Games.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Courtier

I think the Express is gloom mongering. Yes I'm sure the Queen will scale back on extended (read: tiring) events. But I do not ever see her "retiring".

On a totally different note: I found it interesting when the article referred to it being time for the Cambridges and Prince Harry to "step up to the plate". Unless I'm mistaken this is a phrase taken from our American baseball. Is there a British sport, or activity, where this phrase would be used?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes, I was working in an official capacity at those Games.

So your opinion differs from the number of people I know, athletes and broadcasters who were there and have been to many other such events and say that they were great (my brother says they were amongst the best games he has ever attended and he has been to 15 such games).
Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Maybe because a lot of people expected the New Delhi games to be a disaster ,and they pretty much were, so best not to be associated with them
This is not a satisfactory explanation.The Games as such was not a disaster. It went off very well. There were definitely some problems but they never affected the actual events. And BTW if the Queen is not able to accept the deficiencies of Commonwealth countries, and telling off, "We wont come unless you do it as perfect as us British" then whats the point of dedicating herself to Commonwealth and associating with it.Who was going to hold her responsible for a "disaster"..

Quote:
maybe the Indian government preferred she not attend.
The President of India specifically invited the Queen to come and open the Games, in her State Banquet speech at Windsor, and "see for yourself how much India has progressed since your last visit in 1997."

I actually think after the Queen's '97 visit turned out to be a sour one, thanks to Blair-Cook's planned over-ambitious, silly Kashmir "intervention", the Queen thought it best not to visit India again..Sad
Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Majesty

I noticed that The Queen didn't mention any upcoming State Visits for her and Prince Philip in her Speech today. The DM also pointed this out. She usually make those kind of announcements in her previous speeches at the Opening.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Maybe because there aren't any upcoming state visits, the last time visits were included in the speech was 2010.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Majesty

Yeah, I figured that was the case.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It would be a little insulting to Sri Lanka if The Queen missed the CHOGM meeting and then flew for a state visit to Australia or the far east. We haven't seen a US visit since 2011 I think, that would be nice. Somehow I think the end of far flung tours are over.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Courtier

I think the really long haul trips such as Australia and New Zealand are out of the queens range. Canada could still be in the picture. It's around 7 -8 hours to Ontario . With a trip to Canada , it is a Canadian Air Force plane not a scheduled British Air flight. She could do the European countries. Maybe they will do the Italy trip that was missed in the spring.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Majesty

No one has ruled out a visit to places like Australia and although it could be seen as insulting by some visiting a country like Australia where the food and water are fine is different to visiting a country like Sri Lanka where there are questions about the reliability of these products I don't think that would be taken that way at all - as long as the Australia trip wasn't instead of the Sri Lankan trip.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I kind of think if the Queen is going to stop doing the more far flung tours, she's also going to limit the less far flung ones as well, if not outright stop them.

To me, it would seem insulting if she continued to do trips to Canada while not going to Australia or other more far flung realms.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I kind of think if the Queen is going to stop doing the more far flung tours, she's also going to limit the less far flung ones as well, if not outright stop them.

To me, it would seem insulting if she continued to do trips to Canada while not going to Australia or other more far flung realms.
Why should the Aussies or the Kiwis care how many times HM visits Canada It likely doesnt even get press attention there.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Majesty

We Aussies have always been aware that she goes to Canada at least twice as much as she comes here - but that is also because she is invited there more often whereas she is usually only invited here for some very important reason.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No one has ruled out a visit to places like Australia and although it could be seen as insulting by some visiting a country like Australia where the food and water are fine is different to visiting a country like Sri Lanka where there are questions about the reliability of these products I don't think that would be taken that way at all - as long as the Australia trip wasn't instead of the Sri Lankan trip.
Come on, ILuvbertie, no nation is so bad that it cant provide good food and clean drinking water to a visiting foreign Head of State. That would be the lamest excuse they will have to give. Even if some palace officials and advisors still in colonial hangover think so, they can always carry their own food, water and even toilet papers.
So I definitely dont think that is the actual reason. This leaves us with only two possibilities..
1. The Queen's health is actually bad enough to take long flights and tours and will be permitting herself to local engagements.
In that case there wont be any future visits to Australia/Canada.
2. The Queen is purposefully staying behind to promote Prince Charles as future Head of Commonwealth. This is also a sensible idea. Since that is happening on full force on domestic front, let it start simultaneously throughout Commonwealth also..

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii