The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well seeing as it is "former" why can't she go?

Old 06-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Let's hope the Queen will attend the 2014 Commonwealth Games !
After all, it's not far from Balmoral to Glasgow !

Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well seeing as it is "former" why can't she go?

Because State Visits take a long time to organise and three months isn't enough, particularly given the terrorist threats already made for these games.

The Australian government, for instance is monitoring the terrorist threat before fully committing to sending an Australian team (at the moment we are definitely sending a team but if the security advice changes the government won't let them go - remember last year or the year before the Australia tennis team refused to play their Davis Cup tie there and dropped down a level in that competition as a result).
Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

But why would it constitute a state visit?
Would she be going for the whole of the games?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it has more to do with the security threats more than anything. Generally, when the Queen opens up the games, she will make a "state" visit to the hosting country as well. Kill two birds with one stone. But this time it is different and perhaps there is a state visit in the works already for India and they cant afford to go twice. Who knows?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Falklands Referendum: Overwhelming Majority Wants to Remain UK Overseas Territory
Quote:
In a very clear expression of self-determination and loyalty to the Crown, the people of the Falkland Islands have voted overwhelmingly in favour of remaining a UK overseas territory. The referendum had asked a simple question: “Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?” Over 90% of the island’s population eligible to vote took part in the referendum, and of 1,517 votes cast 1,513 were in favour, with only three people voting against.
I suppose this belongs here.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do hope that the Argentinians, and others, respect the decision of the people of the Falkland Islands and that their right to self-determination is assured. I won't hold my breath.

This article is mainly about the upcoming documentary on the Queen, but also suggests that the leaders of the Commonwealth are coming to the conclusion that the Prince of Wales should follow his mother as Head of the Commonwealth, despite its not being an hereditary appointment. The PoW was specifically mentioned by the Commonwealth Secretary General, Kamalesh Sharma.

Cosy and comfy, one's sitting room: Cluttered with treasures and just a little bit messy, the Queen's private retreat | Mail Online

The BBC is also picking up on the same hints from last night's event:

BBC News - Who will lead Commonwealth next?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually the Argentinian government has already made clear that the feeling and the vote of the people of the Falklands in irrelevant as far as they are concerned. To them the islands belong to Argentina no matter what the people who live there think. They do not recognize the idea of self determination.
At least it distracts them from their own serious domestic economic problems.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I did find it quite amusing when I heard that the Argentinians felt this vote was "irrelevant" I laughed and said "yeah just because you lost". I don't know much about the politics of this, I don't even know if there is much to know. But do the Argentinians want the Falklands back just so we can't have it?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Majesty

There is oil in the waters that belong to the Falklands - enough said.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

They believe that the people in the Falkland Islands have been 'planted' there by the British. So the fact that some of them have lived there for up to 12 or 13 generations doesn't mean anything. They believe that the population should just be sent back to the UK.

They fail to acknowledge that there was no indigenous population on the islands and there was no successful settlement there until the British took them over.

The irony is in the Argentinians claiming that the Falklands are a British 'colony' and that they belong to Argentina. Argentina didn't exist as a sovereign state when the islands were populated by the British. By the logic that they use, Argentina itself should be handed back to the indigenous peoples whose home it was before the Spanish came and colonised it.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the info EIIR, it seems to be the case of we'll take it so you can't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There is oil in the waters that belong to the Falklands - enough said.
Now that I didn't know, but it's not surprising.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Queen To Miss Commonwealth Heads' Meeting

The Queen will miss the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting for the first time since 1973, Sky News has learned.

Sources say Prince Charles is set to be announced as the member of the royal family to attend the meeting on her behalf in Sri Lanka later this year.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Majesty

That isn't a real surprise given both her age and the location of the CHOGM. That is nothing against Sri Lanka which I believe is a beautiful country but it is very hot and humid being a tropical country and for a woman who is used to the more moderate climate in the UK the change, even for a couple of days, would be extreme. She also has an even older husband and has never done an overseas tour without Philip.

It would be wonderful to see Charles undertake this tour on her behalf, with Camilla to accompany him as well, even though she loathes the heat.

All of this assumes that the report is in fact accurate.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Queen to miss Commonwealth meeting

BBc report on the Queen not attending. The analysis section is interesting in that it talks about "expect to see less of her".

As I mentioned in another thread a while ago, she has cut back engagements and here is another sample. Quite right IMO.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Majesty

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 3h
The CHOGM decision by Buckingham Palace is an acknowledgement of the Queen's age and of the need to limit her overseas travel.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

This is the Express report - I'm putting it here because of the catalyst of the CHOGM decision. The Express see wider issues

The historic palace announcement that shows the Queen is struggling | Richard Palmer | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

When Palmer tweeted the story and it said "historic royal announcement" I was intrigued, turned out it was nothing. Didn't they ban The Queen from walking up some steps a while ago? It shouldn't come as a surprise that she's ageing or made it is a surprise for the daily express:)
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Gentry

It's only natural that at 87 that she doesn't make as many long-haul foreign/commonwealth trips. Charles could definitely use more Commonwealth experience, and this is a great way for him to do so.

I don't see this is as a sign of any major health issues or a major slowing down, just a gradual paring back of activities. I don't think we'll see her go overseas anymore except maybe to Canada (and even then I'm not sure that's a given anymore). I don't think anyone expects her to do so at her age.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Let's hope the Queen will attend the 2014 Commonwealth Games !
After all, it's not far from Balmoral to Glasgow !
One thing I never understood is why the Queen didnt go to open the 2010 Commonwealth games in New Delhi?
She was relatively very fit at that time, went to Australia also lateron.
Health was definitely not an issue then. The given excuse of "prior engagements" was not satisfactory, sive she gives utmost priority to Commonwealth..

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii