The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Courtier

New Zealand will soon abandon the Queen, says former PM - Telegraph

Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Gentry

I'm pretty sure that here in Papua New Guinea (Commonwealth Realm) we will continue our link with the British monarchy even after her death. The only time I can see that we'd ever become a Republic is if the United Kingdom were to become one. Most people here don't really minds her being our head of state in fact there is a fond sense of respect for her. There is always a frenzy in the streets when there is a royal visit as thousands of people flock in trying to catch a glimpse.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
He just released a video backing the World Cup bid for England
BBC SPORT | Football | 2018 bid chief calls for humility

As an Australian I have a problem with the 2nd in line to the Australian throne (remember that the Queen is also Queen of Australia) supporting the bid of one country of which he is 2nd in line over another country also bidding of which he is 2nd in line to the throne.

This is a major reason why many Australians want our own Head of State - so that in situtations like this our Head of State can support us without being torn by loyalties to another country.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Courtier

This is a good point I did not even think of that. How do you choose between two countries.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Aristocracy

Well in William's case I guess he picked the country he was born in.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefeatherz View Post
Well in William's case I guess he picked the country he was born in.

One of the very reasons why most Australians (according to most polls asking the simple question "Do you think Australia should be a republic?") answer 'Yes'.

The royals aren't born here, don't live here, don't support us in international competitions etc so why have one of them as our Head of State.

All of them, for instance, will support England in the upcoming Ashes series against Australia, just as they do in everything else.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's only natural that William supports England's bid, and the situation really highlights the problem in a language everyone can understand.
We need our own Head of State who will always put us and our interests first. Someone who owes their first loyalty to another country can't do that.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:51 AM
Majesty

I couldn't agree more.
I am a great supporter of the Queen but am increasinly moving to become a republican and things like this public support of one of his grandmother's realms over another (despite being understandable) is a major reason.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As an Australian I have a problem with the 2nd in line to the Australian throne (remember that the Queen is also Queen of Australia) supporting the bid of one country of which he is 2nd in line over another country also bidding of which he is 2nd in line to the throne.

This is a major reason why many Australians want our own Head of State - so that in situtations like this our Head of State can support us without being torn by loyalties to another country.
William is not the 2nd in line to the Australian throne, there is no such thing! For that matter we have no royal family, that's a popular misconception. The Australian constitution states that the British monarch is also the Australian Head of State. Other members of the royal family have no role, when Anne came to the bushfire memorial she came as a representative of the Head of State ( the Queen) not as Anne, Princess Royal of Australia ( which she is not!) Currently William has no role in regards to Australia, neither does Harry ( and barring a major accident never will) he can freely support whatever sports team, sporting bid he wants to. If he does become the Australian Head of State then there would be a conflict, note that the Queen does not declare allegiances for sporting competitions!

It's tradition that Australians have the British royals gracing our shores ( and many have Australian patronages) but they come to Australian as representatives of the Head of State, not as members of the Australian royal family. To harp on this point, when King George VI was Australian HoS as King, his wife Queen Elizabeth was not Queen of Australia, merely his wife who had no role in Australia. ( Similar to the spouse of a President or Governor-General) Children, grand-children, inlaws etc of the monarch have no role in Australian life, they never have!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Majesty

William is 2nd in line in the sense that his grandmother is the current Queen of Australia and as such he is not the heir to that title but 2nd in line to that title.

The Queen has, through Harry in particular, and other royals as well made it known that she supports England over Australia in both Rugby (2003 World Cup) and the 2005 Ashes series.

With William's current position he is not free to support one of his future realms over another. Hopefully he will never be King of Australia so that we do have a real Head of State and not a pretend one - one who favours one realm over another, even if not officially.

Even in the UK William and Harry get into trouble for supporting one country over another at sporting events.

The sooner Australia gets rid of any connection to the British Royal Family the better in my opinion (an opinion that has changed over the last 10 years from definitely against to definitely in favour partly through this board where I lurked for many years).

Just imagine that Australia gets the World Cup in 2022 over England and by then William is King of Australia. How could he possibly support anything to do with Australia's hosting of that event when he actively campaigned against Australia getting it?

It is further evidence that the royals know their days as Head of State here are numbered.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Courtier

As far as the Australian Head of State is concerned that is just the British monarch, who is next in line or further down has no relevance or role. Until William is King he is just another British prince, he has no connection to Australia, therefore no divided loyalties. He is free to be 'just' a British prince, he's not prince of any other country. When he becomes King ( assuming Australian is still a constitutional monarchy) it doesn't make any difference whether the UK has the World Cup ( he's actually supporting the 2018 bid, not 2022) or Australia he would be King of both countries ( as well as the other realms of the Commonwealth) So win/win either country gets the World Cup, he's King of both and can support both by promoting or attending. Not likely to be a problem though considering it's not that far into the future and Charles is still hale and hearty, not to mention the Queen.

The Queen hosts receptions for various victorious teams, not just the British. The New Zealand rugby team were hosted a few years ago ( Lady Davina's husband is a New Zealander so both were invited. Lady Davina being the daughter of the Duke of Gloucester she rarely attends any official function) Various Australian teams have had special receptions.

The controversy in the UK over William's support for different national teams is due to the fact that he is the patron of Welsh rugby. He wasn't supposed to be seen supporting the English rugby side at a match. William toured New Zealand with the English rugby team a few years ago ( before he was patron of Welsh rugby) and it wasn't an issue. Harry has had no such problems and is often spotted at rugby matches supporting England, including the World Cup in Sydney where he supported the English, there was no criticism there. Princess Anne is the patron of the Scottish rugby team and attends their matches and no criticism that she's not supporting New Zealand ( for example). There are no divided loyalties, as they have no constitutional position in the countries where the British monarch is Head of State.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Majesty

We obviously disagree - William can't support two teams any more than anyone else can but somehow as an Aussie I am supposed to accept the fact that he his supporting another country over mine and then I am supposed to cheer him. Well I can't - he is either for my country or against it and he is publicly coming out against mine. He is therefore unacceptable as a future Head of State for me.

The Queen can give all the receptions for foreign teams she likes but deep down she supports and cheers for England.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen can give all the receptions for foreign teams she likes but deep down she supports and cheers for England.
Is that an assumption, or is the thought based on credible (and direct) information?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Edward is coming to town. Quick, break out the good china and get rid of the empties.
I almost missed the news of the June visit of the Queen's youngest son, the brief story being tucked away on an inside page

Jack Knox: Royal visits have lost 'wow' factor
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Is that an assumption, or is the thought based on credible (and direct) information?

Based on reports of the texts etc she has sent her grandsons and then reported as well as plain logic - she was born in England and lives there most of the time.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Based on reports of the texts etc she has sent her grandsons and then reported as well as plain logic - she was born in England and lives there most of the time.

Firstly, my immediate thought is to question how likely is it that W & H share the contents of any text messages they receive with their grandmother with the press, or with people likely to report them to the press. To my cynical mind, this is just some tabloid making up stories on a slow news day.

Secondly, putting aside the spin about how tech savvy HM might be, I do not know many women in their 80s who often send text messages.

Based on the above, whilst I appreciate the Australian republican sentiment, I am not quite convinced by the reasons you provide.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Odd as it may seem, I am sure "Granny" would host a reception for the England or the Australia team.... so I am not sure that proves very much.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Odd as it may seem, I am sure "Granny" would host a reception for the England or the Australia team.... so I am not sure that proves very much.

She doesn't actually.

She hosts receptions at BP for English teams or GB teams and leaves it to the other teams own countries to host receptions for their teams.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
She doesn't actually.

She hosts receptions at BP for English teams or GB teams and leaves it to the other teams own countries to host receptions for their teams.
But she does host receptions at BP for Commonwealth countries' sporting teams. Have already pointed out that she hosted one for the New Zealand rugby team 2 (?) years ago. It sticks out in my memory as Lady Davina and her New Zealand husband Gary Lewis were there. The Queen has previously hosted receptions for various Australian sporting teams at BP, cricketers, rugby players.

Quote:
as well as plain logic - she was born in England and lives there most of the time.
Well I don't agree with this argument and I don't think it's logic. I wasn't born in Australia ( nor live here most of the time) and yet support Australian teams in international competitions. I also support the teams of other countries where I've lived for extended period of times. It means I always have someone to support in a given competition when one of my teams gets beaten! I don't think it's impossible to be supportive of more than one national team!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Isn't the Queen suppose to be biased about who she supports and cheers for. Just because she lives in england most of the time has no relevance to which team she would prefer to win medals or football matches. I live in Yorkshire, have fdor nearly 10 years but I support Liverpool FC.
x

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii