https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Old 03-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Royal Highness

COMMONWEALTH | Selda Göktaş

Old 03-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

In addition to the videos from polyesco, here are two videos of HM leaving the Abbey:
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...24195594231808
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...24546892283905

Pictures/video of the royal family arriving/leaving:
Queen Elizabeth II Photos Photos - Commonwealth Day Service & Reception - Zimbio

The Queen and senior members of the Royal Family have attended a Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey in central London this afternoon, to mark Commonwealth Day. The service coincides with the start of the Queens Baton Relay at Buckingham Palace earlier today, and shortly before their arrival, British Olympic champion Jessica Ennis-Hill carried the baton into the service as it continues its 388-day journey towards Australia, ahead of next years Commonwealth Games.
Home - ITNSource News

Article by the Daily Fail:
The Queen attends Commonwealth Day service* | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
She's had a busy day of engagements but the Queen found time for a quick outfit change before heading to the Commonwealth Day service this afternoon.

Earlier today she looked resplendent in fuchsia pink to launch a relay race at Buckingham Palace, and just hours later she arrived at Westminster Abbey in a yellow coat with statement silver buttons and a feather trimmed hat.

The monarch, 90, was joined by her grandson Prince Harry as well as her sons Edward and Charles - with his wife Camilla - for the annual service of Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 PM
Aristocracy

Future of the Monarchy for the Commonwealth Realm

How are things going to pan out for the House of Windsor in the Commonwealth Realm outside of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? I am of course talking about Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the other nations that recognize QEII as Head of State? How does the future look for them?

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Our futures look great.

Whether we will bother sticking with the monarchy is largely irrelevant to our futures.

HM is a nice old lady but the reality is she doesn't have anything to do with the country, hardly ever comes here - sure when she does she is warmly welcomed but the visits are very few and in between.

Will us becoming a republic sometime in the future affect us in any real way - no.

We are an independent nation who happens to have a foreigner as a Head of State but other than that we do our own thing and she has nothing to say about what happens here at all any more (thanks to the Australia Act which removed any residual rights/powers etc of the UK or the monarchy in Australia).
Old 02-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Gambia rejoins the Commonwealth after 5 years exit and become the 53rd country

https://alternativeafrika.com/2018/0...lth-2013-exit/
Old 02-13-2018, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

According to the following article "The Commonwealth has secretly begun considering who might succeed the Queen as its head, the BBC has learned.
The issue is hugely sensitive because the role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death
."

Commonwealth in secret succession plans - BBC News
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Hardly a 'secret'. It was openly reported as being a topic of conversation when Julia Gillard was Aussie PM and she attended CHOGM. She came out and said Charles was the obvious person to take the lead. She has been out of the PM's job since June 2013 so it was openly discussed as far back as then - so hardly a 'secret' at all.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Schedule of events for CHOGM 2018

https://twitter.com/_mio/status/959115322744889345
I am glad to hear that the Prince of Wales will officially represent the Queen at the opening of the Commonwealth Games in Australia. Will the Duchess of Cornwall attend too ? She is not mentioned in the tweet.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Whilst I appreciate other contenders for the 'Headship' may be considered [other than the Prince of Wales], who, realistically has the [apolitical] 'gravitas', and Worldwide 'profile' necessary ?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am glad to hear that the Prince of Wales will officially represent the Queen at the opening of the Commonwealth Games in Australia. Will the Duchess of Cornwall attend too ? She is not mentioned in the tweet.
I suspect C&C will do a trip to Aus & NZ for the Commonwealth Games, and will do a few more events around there.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The Commonwealth Secretariat has denied that a high level group of Commonwealth officials has met in London to consider who might succeed the Queen as its head.

In a statement, it maintained that the issue of succession was not on its agenda.

The BBC reported that the meeting on Tuesday would include a discussion of wider governance considerations which insiders say is code for the succession
Read more: Succession of Head of Commonwealth role ‘not part of group’s mandate’ | BT
Old 02-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The news here reported, a couple of weeks ago now, that she isn't coming despite the invitation from the Qld government for both of them to attend. She has never been listed as coming ... only that both of them were invited.

There is also some bloke threatening to take them both to court to 'prove' he is their 'love-child' even though he was born in the mid-60s now claiming that he is the reason she has pulled out. https://www.newidea.com.au/prince-ch...day-speaks-out (a garbage rag by the way but it does have the story which has also been reported in other media as well).

Camilla - of course - didn't 'mysteriously disappear' but went to a Swiss finishing school.

It is also well known that they didn't meet until later and there are various reports about when Charles had his first full encounter with a woman - which again was much later.

But he can dream ...
Old 02-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is a link to the Julia Gillard statement from 2013 Julia Gillard backs Queen's successor as Commonwealth head - BBC News in which she clearly shows her support for Charles and makes it clear that she wouldn't have said that in isolation One has to assume that her public statement followed private soundings. The mood music, for now, is that a body born out of the collapse of the British empire appears content to have an unelected monarch as its next head.

Of course the inclusion of the phrase 'for now' could mean that things have changed since 2013 but I doubt it.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Courtier

There cannot realistically be any suggestion that HM should be followed by anyone other than Charles, and after him William. No one with a really high public profile across the world would exactly be lining up for it. Equally, a former PM of Australia or Pakistan or Barbados etc. etc. would simply not be able to bring to the organisation the kind of PR it needs to justify its existence.

Say what you like about the Commonwealth, the BRF play an enormous role in keeping it relevant. I suspect that, if you take away that personal connection, something would be lost from it. It's doing good things across a whole range of sectors and it would be sad to see it diminished.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I am glad to hear that the Prince of Wales will officially represent the Queen at the opening of the Commonwealth Games in Australia. Will the Duchess of Cornwall attend too? She is not mentioned in the tweet.

I have only seen confirmation for Prince Charles and Prince Edward.
My guess is that Camillas participation would depend on the length of the trip. She doesnt handle long-distance travel well, so I assume if Charles is only in Australia for a couple of days she wont go.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
There cannot realistically be any suggestion that HM should be followed by anyone other than Charles, and after him William. No one with a really high public profile across the world would exactly be lining up for it. Equally, a former PM of Australia or Pakistan or Barbados etc. etc. would simply not be able to bring to the organisation the kind of PR it needs to justify its existence.

Say what you like about the Commonwealth, the BRF play an enormous role in keeping it relevant. I suspect that, if you take away that personal connection, something would be lost from it. It's doing good things across a whole range of sectors and it would be sad to see it diminished.
I think the problem with it being anyone other than Charles, William etc, is that it risks turning the position into a political position and therefore would lack the ability to unify an organisation of very, very diverse nations.

For example, if it were a rotating position between heads of government, there is no way Margaret Thatcher could have been acceptable to African and Caribbean nations given her position on sanctions against South Africa. Likewise some heads of state/governmanet may be considered to have unacceptable human rights records.

We only have to see from the choice of Olympic and football world cup venues how non-political decisions can become geo-political rows or open to bribery. What should be a simple decision based on who is best for the job, has the potential to become divisive.

I can understand the argument that Charles will only be monarch of a limited number of countries in the commonwealth (and William and George probably even fewer) and therefore why should he be head of the commonwealth. There is too, the uncomfortable reminder of Britain's colonial past. I am also generally predisposed against inherited titles and positions but, in this case, I genuinely believe the King or Queen is best placed to be the unifying force. Charles has spent his life visiting commonwealth countries and William and George will do the same over their lives. Who else would have had the contact with all the commonwealth countries that they will.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
I have only seen confirmation for Prince Charles and Prince Edward.
My guess is that Camillas participation would depend on the length of the trip. She doesnt handle long-distance travel well, so I assume if Charles is only in Australia for a couple of days she wont go.
According to NT News (Northern Territories) Charles is visiting there in April. This is what it says on the page (further info requires subscription and I don't have one)

"PRINCE Charles will visit the Northern Territory in early April soon after he opens the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.The NT News can reveal plans are in place for the 69-year-old Prince of Wales to visit the Territory."

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Cepe - small correction if I may.

It is the Northern Territory - singular not plural.

It is one of the two territories in Australia - the other being the ACT (Australian Capital Territory).

This is a link to a bit more - but be warned you only get a limited number of articles per month with this one https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...768cc96b5b33fb

Given how hot the Top End gets I can understand Camilla not wanting to visit in April. I did so in June/July and was wearing shorts and t-shirts the entire time but froze at night unless in winter PJs and the warmest level sleeping bag I could get.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Commonwealth Birthday Celebration for The Queen:
Commonwealth plans birthday celebration for the Queen at the Royal Albert Hall

A.W. TOZER

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii