The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Not sure whether this should go here, but New Zealanders have voted in a referendum to retain their present flag.

New Zealand votes to keep its flag in referendum | World news | The Guardian
Going OT Curryong but has there been a similar movement to change the Australian flag?

Old 03-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Going OT Curryong but has there been a similar movement to change the Australian flag?
Yes, since 1988, when a Mr Harold Scruby headed the 88AusFlag campaign. A competition was held at that time, which came up with a Southern cross tricolour design I believe. No-one really liked it apart from the designer and judges, and the campaign went no further.

There was further debate every few years or so for a while then it died down again. It's died down a lot, haven't heard of any serious campaigning to change the flag for years. To be honest, I think there's a bit more of a sentimental attachment to the present flag here than to the monarchy. Nevertheless, if there is a republic in the future the flag would go soon after, I think.

By the way, Australia's present flag (the Union Jack and the southern cross on a blue background) was also the result of a competition, a magazine competition just before Federation in 1901. It's very similar in design to New Zealand's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...stralian_flags

Old 04-16-2016, 03:04 AM
Majesty

Jamaica may oust UK's queen as official head of state - CNN.com
Old 04-16-2016, 04:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure they have more important things to do, but if they don't have the decency to wait till the Queen is no longer on the throne - so just get it done. But as I've said before: It's not democratic to abolish the monarchy without a referendum.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I'm sure they have more important things to do, but if they don't have the decency to wait till the Queen is no longer on the throne - so just get it done. But as I've said before: It's not democratic to abolish the monarchy without a referendum.
I am not familiar with the constitution of Jamaica as I am with the constitutions of Australia and Canada for example, but it seems that a constitutional amendment to abolish the monarchy would require a 2/3 majority in the Senate and the House of Representatives. The current leader of the opposition favors keeping the Queen as a head of State and, therefore, it is unlikely there will be the necessary bipartisan support to pass the amendment.

Can anyone more familiar with Jamaican politics comment on that ?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal Family ‏@RoyalFamily
The Queen receives Baroness Scotland at Buckingham Palace, on her appointment as Commonwealth Secretary-General

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChnMkSxWMAADzzA.jpg
Old 05-29-2016, 05:20 AM
Majesty

The Queen's envoy in honours scandal leaving title given to Commonwealth chief's 'reviewed' | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
9 June 2016

The atmosphere was full of comradery and optimism today as The Queen shook hands with athletes, young people, High Commissioners and staff at the launch of a new Commonwealth Hub. The ceremony took place at Marlborough House, the Commonwealth’s headquarters in London.

The Commonwealth Hub will be located directly across from Marlborough House in a building to be renamed Commonwealth House. It will become the home of a network of Commonwealth accredited organisations.

Today, the Commonwealth Games Federation, the Royal Commonwealth Society and the Commonwealth Local Government Forum agreed to move their main offices to the site. There are also plans to install an education centre. The Commonwealth Secretariat, the Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council and the Commonwealth Foundation are already located at Marlborough House, bringing the number of Commonwealth organisations at the same location to six.

Inviting The Queen to unveil a special plaque to mark the launch, Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland described the monarch as the source of inspiration for the Hub.
Read more: The Queen inspires new hub for Commonwealth organisations | The Commonwealth
Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Here's an additional gallery

** gettyimages/zimbio: The Queen Visits Marlborough House To Launch The "Commonwealth Hub" **
Old 06-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks to Rudolph and iceflower for their posts about this!

Video:
The Queen has visited Marlborough House in central London this morning, to launch the ‘Commonwealth Hub’ – a new initiative designed to bring together different Commonwealth organisations to foster creative collaboration. Amongst those organisations involved in the new project are the Commonwealth Games Federation, the Royal Commonwealth Society and the Commonwealth Local Government Forum.
Home - ITNSource News

And our 90 year old Queen appears to be in excellent form, as usual:
http://thecommonwealth.org/sites/def...?itok=2bMfIpyL
Old 07-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
When Prince William appeared on the cover of the July Issue of Attitude, one of the world’s most widely-circulated LGBT magazines, he was setting a new standard of royal acceptance of LGBT issues, not just in the UK but globally – and, importantly, within the Commonwealth of Nations.

Prince William is not one to hide his advocacy and activism. He has been involved in many social issues including raising the profile of mental health in the UK. When he met with the LGBT community to hear first-hand the peril of being LGBT and facing bullying, stigma and discrimination it was barrier-breaking, even here in the UK.

In his comment to the LGBT community, Prince William said: “Bullying is abuse that can end lives, and it has no place in any society”. This rings true to many LGBT people who lived in the Commonwealth.

As the Queen and Prince Charles get older, the responsibility of becoming Head of State will soon fall on William’s shoulders, and it’s safe to say that we might be seeing a more proactive head of the Commonwealth when it comes to human rights progress. However, this wont be an easy ride for the progressive, modernising Prince. The Commonwealth, with its 53 member states, is one that is riddled with extreme homophobia.
Read more: ‘Prince William’s Attitude cover sends a clear message to the Commonwealth’ | Attitude Magazine
Old 02-28-2017, 02:37 AM
Majesty

America could become next 'associate member' of the Commonwealth | The Independent
Old 03-12-2017, 05:48 AM
Majesty

"FOR BBC ONE VIEWERS tomorrow, 13 March 2017, from 14.45.
The Commonwealth Service will be attended by:
Her Majesty The Queen
His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh
His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall
His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales
His Royal Highness The Duke of York
His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex
The Commonwealth Service is Britain's largest annual inter-faith gathering, held on the second Monday in March each year."

BBC One - A Service of Celebration for Commonwealth Day, 2017
Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

BBC One sent this service last year too, but that was as part of the Queen's 90th birthday coverage. I was therefore surprised when I discovered that it will be televised this year too.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Great, I'll try to tune in.

Service Starts at 2:45pm on BBC ONE:
Order of Service-
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/pre...march?a=109586

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/pre...wealth-service

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 AM
Majesty

https://www.royal.uk/commonwealth-da...d-commonwealth

"Commonwealth Day Message by Her Majesty The Queen"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...-respect-world
Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen is throwing open the doors of Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle to Commonwealth leaders as the UK looks to forge new trade relations ahead of Brexit.

Prime ministers and presidents from more than 50 countries will gather for meetings in the London and Berkshire royal residences during a summit in 2018.

It will be the first time the buildings have been included in the list of venues for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (Chogm) and the decision was made following discussions between No 10 and the palace.
Read more: Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle added to Commonwealth summit venues - The News
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen sends Commonwealth Games baton on its way to Australia in Buckingham Palace ceremony
Quote:
The Queen has set the Commonwealth Games baton on its journey around the globe following a ceremony at Buckingham Palace, ahead of a service at Westminster Abbey.

Her Majesty will on Monday afternoon call on Commonwealth countries to “overcome division and find reconciliation”, urging further collaboration for a prosperous future.

She will advocate “consensus and cooperation”, in her annual message to the public on Commonwealth Day on Monday, calling for the 2.5 billion people who share that connection to come together.
The Queen launches a Commonwealth Games relay | Daily Mail Online

Queen Elizabeth II Photos Photos - The Queen's Baton Relay For The XXI Commonwealth Games Launch - Zimbio
Old 03-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, Harry, Andrew and Edward has arrived at Westminster Abbey. HM (in yellow) appears to be in top form.

I'm in Norway now and watch it on Mediahhh from my office.

Picture: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q...9Ac6PftJjl.jpg
Old 03-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, Harry, Andrew and Edward has arrived at Westminster Abbey. HM (in yellow) appears to be in top form.

I'm in Norway now and watch it on Mediahhh from my office.

Picture: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q...9Ac6PftJjl.jpg
Yup, I'm watching it on Mediahhh too in America.

I like the new twist on Whitney Houston's "My Love is Your Love" being sung at the service.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, fiji, queen elizabeth ii