The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Just because something is a "centuries-old tradition" does not make it right or mean we should continue to act in accordance with that tradition merely because it is centuries-old. Some are worth keeping and observing but that is because they are inherently worthy. Some, however, are now illegal as being in breach of anti-discrimination or other legislation and contemporary social standards.

HM is a much-loved, much respected monarch, but I feel very, very uneasy about the Queen being accorded some sort of special status over and above that which is due to the democratically elected Head of State of a modern Republic like the United States of America and his wife.
Who gets to pick which centuries old traditions are discarded though? The Monarch has been accorded a special status throughout history, why should that be changed. Should we do away with the protocols asked of every person who meets HM, to accommodate the wife of the present US president? Will it be acceptable when the next president of the US or his/her spouse manhandles HM, or an unpopular HoS. Where do we stop, should everyone meeting HM be allowed to be touchy feely, if not, why not?
__________________

__________________
  #162  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,896
Erm - manhandles? Mrs Obama just put her arm round HM in response to the Queen touching her; that doesn't strike me as manhandling. I'm sure she was given all sorts of protocol pointers, and I'm equally sure they didn't include what to do if the Queen initiated physical contact. She was probably at a complete loss about what to do, and I'm sure she wasn't trying to be offensive.
__________________

__________________
  #163  
Old 04-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
MO did not attempt to move or guide HM, that is true but what I asked was
Quote:
Will it be acceptable when the next president of the US or his/her spouse manhandles HM, or an unpopular HoS. Where do we stop, should everyone meeting HM be allowed to be touchy feely,
Can anyone imagine the 1000s of people HM meets every year, are they all allowed to hold HM, if not, why not? Why should an exception be made for the spouse of the current president?
__________________
  #164  
Old 04-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Can anyone imagine the 1000s of people HM meets every year, are they all allowed to hold HM, if not, why not? Why should an exception be made for the spouse of the current president?
Exactly. The Obamas are popular and media favourites, the "couple of the hour", just imagine Sarah or even Gordon Brown, Berlusconi or Sarkozy had done a similar thing. We would have a similar coverage, but opposite way: not "how warm or refreshing" but "how does she / he dare".

And yes, where do we stop? If Michelle Obama can do it, why not everyone else who gets the opportunity. I can already imagine Bruce Forsyth swirling HM around when he finally receives his nighthood, or Joe Calzaghe lifting her up

There is a reason why there is a protocol and it should be respected by everyone, without exception.
__________________
  #165  
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
Look, she broke protocol. I am sure she is not the first, nor will she be the last. In any event, the Queen herself has clearly moved on from this massive international incident and so should we.
__________________
  #166  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,481
Having seen that video more than once I disagree that the Queen reached out and hugged Mrs Obama. However this is up to everyone's interpretation. This is a lady who showed up for a reception in her own "house" wearing gloves to shake strangers' hands. This is the same lady who did not hug her own grown children in public. I highly doubt she instantly fell under the spell of Mrs Obama and broke her rules.
In any case I am sure the Queen moved on and perhaps Mrs Obama's handlers can have her clasp a handbag next time she feels like hugging someone.
For someone who loathes being hugged by strangers I can understand how someone not used to these public expressions of affection may feel.
Still there is an upside to all this. The Queen may have had received a neck rub instead of the famous by now hug..........
__________________
  #167  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 53
Pamk wrote: "Johnnie: As an American, I am absolutely dumbfounded at these two highlighted statements which you made ... My thoughts on the social graces of Canadians? I won't give you the satisfaction of knowing ..."

My, quite the tempest in the teapot! Well, first of all, Pamk, I'll have you know that I myself am not a Canadian, thank you. Secondly, I am dumbfounded as to your being dumbfounded. Furthermore, I very much doubt that I shall be unsatisfied by not reading your opinions of the social graces (or lack of, judging from your "tone") of the fine Canadian people.
I adore my adopted land of the Maple Leaf. Canada is a brilliant country; quite unique on the world stage, if I do say so myself.

There, now, back to Her Majesty and that Mrs. Obama person.

There will always be an England!

Good day to you, Pamk. Cheers!
__________________
  #168  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 53
Platinum69 wrote: "No matter what, the protocol was breached. Her Majesty can do whatever she wishes, She is The Queen. We are talking about centuries-old tradition and Michelle Obama's action was simply a mistake, she should not have touched the Queen. The whole thing shows disrespect to the Queen and the Institution of the Monarchy."

Thank you. It would seem that logical heads do prevail. My, but it's amusing how it would appear that it is primarily the non-British who are getting their knickers in a twist over the matter of this issue being discussed. Bless them.

But I do concur that this topic is getting, like a Yorkshire Pudding in the oven too long - rather overdone.

Her Majesty looked radiant during the receptions and during the photo calls.

Cheers.
__________________
  #169  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,886
It is truly refreshing to see the voices of reason among the mass hysteria. I fully agree with Duke of Marmalade stating:
Quote:
There is a reason why there is a protocol and it should be respected by everyone, without exception.
Quote:
Protocol is protocol, don't touch, full stop. The whole handling only shows HM's class and larger-than-life personality.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
  #170  
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Having seen that video more than once I disagree that the Queen reached out and hugged Mrs Obama. However this is up to everyone's interpretation. This is a lady who showed up for a reception in her own "house" wearing gloves to shake strangers' hands. This is the same lady who did not hug her own grown children in public. I highly doubt she instantly fell under the spell of Mrs Obama and broke her rules.
In any case I am sure the Queen moved on and perhaps Mrs Obama's handlers can have her clasp a handbag next time she feels like hugging someone.
For someone who loathes being hugged by strangers I can understand how someone not used to these public expressions of affection may feel.
Still there is an upside to all this. The Queen may have had received a neck rub instead of the famous by now hug..........

No Odette HM did NOT hug Mrs Obama. She reached out and put her hand on the small of the First Lady's back...and Mrs Obama responded.

If protocol is defined as no touching of the Royal person, then it is only polite and correct that the Royal Person not reach out and touch anyone else, particularly if the other person is not a subject. That person herself might have an aversion to being touched after all. This is not the Middle Ages nor pre-Revolutionary France. Like it or not these are democratic times and while I've nothing against protocol(I'm actually rather a stickler for it) I think it should apply both ways.

Even His Holiness the Pope has no such rules against touching him, for crying out loud.

I realize we are all never going to agree on this.
__________________
  #171  
Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
MO did not attempt to move or guide HM, that is true but what I asked was
Quote:
Will it be acceptable when the next president of the US or his/her spouse manhandles HM, or an unpopular HoS. Where do we stop, should everyone meeting HM be allowed to be touchy feely,
Can anyone imagine the 1000s of people HM meets every year, are they all allowed to hold HM, if not, why not? Why should an exception be made for the spouse of the current president?
The exception was made because the Queen touched her first. That being the case, I don't see where it sets any sort of precedent. Given the usual sorts of protocol instructions about taking one's lead from the behaviour of the royal personage, Mrs Obama was put in a position where she probably didn't have any protocol instructions to help her, just the (in this case) contradictory "don't be over-familiar with the Queen" and "take your cue from the Queen's behaviour" guidelines.

Honestly, from the outrage expressed by some of the people here, you'd think the Queen had been standing there in splendid isolation, minding her own business, and Mrs Obama had bounded up like an out-of-control labrador puppy and given her a big bear hug.
__________________
  #172  
Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,923
Well put Elspeth..I agree 100%. The Queen broke her OWN protocol, and in that case while Mrs Obama's response might have been unusual, it was not a real breach at all, in my opinion.

She didn't gallop across the room and tackle her or anything like that.

It's all so silly.
__________________
  #173  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
The exception was made because the Queen touched her first. That being the case, I don't see where it sets any sort of precedent. Given the usual sorts of protocol instructions about taking one's lead from the behaviour of the royal personage, Mrs Obama was put in a position where she probably didn't have any protocol instructions to help her, just the (in this case) contradictory "don't be over-familiar with the Queen" and "take your cue from the Queen's behaviour" guidelines.
As far as I can ascertain, there is no 'take your cue from HMs behavior' and she certainly blew the 'don't be over familiar with HM'. It was simply protocol that others have managed to stick to and know about without having it written out on the back of their hand. It was an unfortunate mistake by MO, that a simple guiding hand is seen as a reason for an arm around the shoulders.
Quote:
Mrs Obama had bounded up like an out-of-control labrador puppy
__________________
  #174  
Old 04-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,537
Hardly a mistake. Just a human reaction. Too bad you don't consider the queen human. That's all she is. Everything else is man made silliness, to evoke power. That power is long gone. She just a nice old lady, who represents her nation as a titular head. She is not a goddess. She is touchable.
__________________
  #175  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
kbear's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Posts: 260
and we are all still TOUCHY FEELY on the subject.... This was not the formal presentation and by God let no one assume a Precedent has been set this was an informal gesture in a conversation between two intelligent women. (I know Hm is a smart lady am assuming M OBama is from education) I still get mad thinking about that Keating SOB daring to assume to touch HM but I believe this was different in so many ways. So still waiting for more damning utube evidence Im sure someone will manufacture what wasnt real at some point.. If HM had stepped slightly away held herself rigid or if the Palace had responded with a diplomatic "Mrs obama was probably unaware of the protocol" I would be offended for HM. Instead we get "a mutual gesture of affection" Probably as close to kiss me honey as BP will ever get
__________________
  #176  
Old 04-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
She is touchable.
Not according to the protocol of the country that was hosting MO. Some from the US need to realise they cannot change the rules of another country, as and when it suits them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear View Post
and we are all still TOUCHY FEELY on the subject....
Some more so than others it would seem who see any justified criticism of the (at the moment) popular presidents wife as a personal attack.
Quote:
I still get mad thinking about that Keating SOB daring to assume to touch HM but I believe this was different in so many ways.
I keep asking this WHY is it different?
Quote:
If HM had stepped slightly away
She disengaged herself pretty damn quick.
Quote:
or if the Palace had responded with a diplomatic "Mrs obama was probably unaware of the protocol"
And cause an international incident, when Brown is busy playing a poodle?
__________________
  #177  
Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear
I still get mad thinking about that Keating SOB daring to assume to touch HM but I believe this was different in so many ways.
I keep asking this WHY is it different?
Because it was Keating.
__________________
  #178  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,427

Oh Roslyn, are you inferring that Paul Keating may have been a somewhat polarising PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is truly refreshing to see the voices of reason among the mass hysteria.
It's not an effective debating tactic to accuse the other side of "mass hysteria".
There has been no hysteria in this discussion, mass or otherwise, and there's no need for excessive hyperbole.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
  #179  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
I got the distinct impression Roslyn was not that keen on the man!
__________________
  #180  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM
kbear's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Not according to the protocol of the country that was hosting MO. Some from the US need to realise they cannot change the rules of another country, as and when it suits them.
Now this we agree completely on
Some more so than others it would seem who see any justified criticism of the (at the moment) popular presidents wife as a personal attack.
Ahh not American so far have no problem with the Obamas (anything was going to be a trade up) but not a particular fan.
I keep asking this WHY is it different?
Hmm yep its the Keating thing up to a point, possibly because it was a woman and probably because it was mutual

She disengaged herself pretty damn quick.
To be fair neither was holding on
And cause an international incident, when Brown is busy playing a poodle?
Got me on the last HM is a lady but I dont recall her defending Keating
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koninginnedag 2009, Apeldoorn Paty Dutch Royals 51 04-30-2009 06:46 AM
April 2009 - The Roaring 1920's Zonk Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs & Articles 11 04-21-2009 11:11 PM
Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 5: January - April 2009 dazzling Archives 419 04-03-2009 05:57 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]