The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Appalled? Come on.
I was appalled and I"m an American. When in Rome you know. . . .

Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I don't think HMs position has changed just because she met a few more world leaders this week, as for who is the 'real' royalty, HM of course.

However popular Mr Obama is at the moment, as with any politician that can change in a very short time!
Of course, but I found it funny how even on the news I just watched tonight, they were describing Michelle Obama as royalty. People's feelings towards the Queen are completely different than towards the U.S. President: there is a great deal of respect for the Queen, but the Obamas receive the most adoration (at the moment). I just find it ironic how at one time, the United States was a British colony whose subjects had to pay homage to the British monarch: and today, the British roll out the red carpet for the American president. The excitement over his visit is partly a result of Obama's unprecedented popularity, but it also illustrates how the roles of the two countries have changed since the decline of the British empire and the rise of the U.S. as a global superpower.

I do agree that public feelings about the Queen are much more enduring than feelings about Obama (or any elected leader).

Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I was appalled and I"m an American. When in Rome you know. . . .
I'm an American and I didn't care. I didn't see anything disrespectful in the way Michelle acted. While I can accept that there are different definitions to the word "disrespect" depending on who you ask about any given situation, I would think if Michelle was truly disrespectful in the definition we can all agree on, we'd know about it.

BTW, all the ridiculous right-wing talking heads over here are all twitterpated about Michelle touching the Queen. As though she tackled her or something.

Is that really something to focus on with all the turmoil in the global economy? I don't know what upsets me more; that someone would care enough to angry or that the press would care enough to report on it. Mind you I'm talking about our press here, I don't know what the press in England is saying.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
and today, the British roll out the red carpet for the American president.
We do that for many visiting heads of state, not just the Obama's.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 AM
Heir Apparent

The fact HM the King of Saudi Arabia was present was reason enough to roll out the red carpet. But as Skydragon has noted, every Head of State recieves/recieved such hoospitality and not just the Obama's.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm an American and I didn't care. I didn't see anything disrespectful in the way Michelle acted. While I can accept that there are different definitions to the word "disrespect" depending on who you ask about any given situation, I would think if Michelle was truly disrespectful in the definition we can all agree on, we'd know about it.
it's not about respect anymore. respect is what two ordinary people have in between them. it's more than that. they are heads of state here. there wasn't anything disrespectful about michelle's behaviour. it was just inappropriate, she should have familiarized herself with the type of behaviour that is expected of a first lady, specially when going abroad. it's perfectly fine if michelle hugs a "fan" in the presidential campaign, but it's definitely not fine to hug her majesty the queen of the commonwealth. it's all about perspective.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
this is taken from the daily mail online article

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman insisted last night that the Queen wasn't remotely offended by the contact between herself and Mrs Obama, however.
'It was a mutual and spontaneous display of warm and affectionate appreciation between the Queen and Michelle Obama,' they said.
'They had already met more formally but the reception was very much an informal occasion and it was an appropriate gesture.'

Did Michelle Obama break royal protocol by giving the Queen a hug? | Mail Online
WHY DOES THE QUEEN EVEN HAVE TO ADDRESS THIS FOOLISHNESS? Last week it was Simon Cowel's "story". The Queen has got to be saying to herself 'surely people have more important things to deal with'. When I got home from work tonight my Mom called to tell the Queen/Michelle hug is all anybody is talking about -news,talkshows, beauty shop. And as S.Morphine said what one's thinks seems to fall along political lines. Mom said ones news show played the tape several times to see who touched whom first. Seems that if the Queen did the first touch then Michelle did not commit a mortal sin. Crazy world.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Talking

The Queen bent the rules of royal protocol to perfection to leave the coolest couple on the planet even more star-struck, says Clive Aslet.

NOW THAT'S A FIRST LADY - Telegraph
Old 04-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen Hosts A Reception For Delegates Of The London Summit
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Love the Argentine Presidents outfit, very stylish.
I really love occasions like this.
x
Old 04-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
it's not about respect anymore. respect is what two ordinary people have in between them. it's more than that. they are heads of state here. there wasn't anything disrespectful about michelle's behaviour. it was just inappropriate, she should have familiarized herself with the type of behaviour that is expected of a first lady, specially when going abroad. it's perfectly fine if michelle hugs a "fan" in the presidential campaign, but it's definitely not fine to hug her majesty the queen of the commonwealth. it's all about perspective.

I am a little confused. It appears that it was a mutual display of affection from both HM and Mrs. Obama. If the Queen doesn't appear to have a problem with the inappropriate behavior..what it is the issue?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know if this was posted before, anyway:

The Queen annoyed by Italian PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The Queen bent the rules of royal protocol to perfection to leave the coolest couple on the planet even more star-struck, says Clive Aslet.

Thank you so much Skydragon. Here I was wending my evermore weary way through a virtual morass of the ponderous, pompous, pontificating of all those venting their spleen. All suitably outraged, shocked, apalled, etc. ad nauseum, at the disrespectful, inappropriate and downright offensive, manhandling of the Queen by the American President's wife, Michelle Obama.

The Queen bent the rules . . . . . . . ! She followed the dictates of her heart, her eigthy odd years of experience, and pointed the way, leaving all those vaunted guardians of diplomatic and royal protocol, outrageous in their bellicosity and acidly venting their collective spleen, up the proverbial creek in the face of Her ineffable grace!

The fact that the Obama's presented her with an iPod indicates that they are more aware of where the Queen is "at" than all the little grey men (and women) both in and out of the Palace!

ps. Didn't I see the American President with his hand on Camilla's arm . . . . . both deeply engrossed in conversation?

I think we can safely call the United Kingdom and United States of America's respective 'Charm Offensive' a draw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla
. . . . . . The Queen seemed equally smitten in conversation with Hillary Clinton. I don't blame her for liking powerful women, she probably relates to them.
This is probably a rare treat to enjoy the opportunity to spend time in the company of such women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile
HM is an intelligent and a keen listener, I'm sure she is very well aware that PM Brown will be working with Sec. of State Clinton and she's checking her out.
Wonderful, great, terrific, fun, enjoying your job and scoping the field for information useful to her Prime Minister.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
This is probably a rare treat to enjoy the opportunity to spend time in the company of such women.
Wonderful, great, terrific, fun, enjoying your job and scoping the field for information useful to her Prime Minister.
... though in this case, HM probably has met Hillary on a number of occassions previously, when H was first lady. HM was probably trying to assess how Hillary has changed over the years.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
BTW, all the ridiculous right-wing talking heads over here are all twitterpated about Michelle touching the Queen. As though she tackled her or something.

Is that really something to focus on with all the turmoil in the global economy? I don't know what upsets me more; that someone would care enough to angry or that the press would care enough to report on it. Mind you I'm talking about our press here, I don't know what the press in England is saying.
I don't think I'd ever appreciated the height of the Obamas, nor the height of the Duke (who has always seemed "tall" to me) however, if the First Lady had in fact tackled HM, The Queen would have been absolutely flattened!

As to the Berlusconi "gaffe," I'm calling a big "pfffttt" on that. I watched and listened to the tape of the photo session, and there was much banter and laughter. Immediately after HM's comment, there was another round of laughter; the comment seemed to me in the spirit of the event, very much "we're all in this together." Overall, the introductory portions of this summit are coming across as "global means global, let's start by acting as friends and global family to solve this," and I believe that the Queen is setting that tone beautifully.

I've always admired HM and her Prince, The Duke, and I've never made any secret of that. Once again, she and her husband show everyone how it's done.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

'We are not offended': Palace tries to smooth over Queen's 'Why does he have to shout' jibe at Berlusconi | Mail Online
Given all protocol breaches, I have to say that protocol is not all that important for some members of international community. It is actually refreshing to see most Presidents observing protocol rules and not trying to put Her Majesty into an awkward situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Well, if there's one thing about the G20 summit that's practically guaranteed, it's that the more the Queen embraces (literally and figuratively!) the Obamas, the higher her approval rating will be. ... [snipped]
The last thing Her Majesty might need is approval ratings ... As aptly noted by Aslet,
Quote:
For there is comfort to be drawn from our own head of state in these uncertain times. Outside, railing against global economic meltdown, protesters may have caused chaos in the City of London. But inside Buckingham Palace the mood is steady. The Queen, after all, has known worse than this.
Like others of her generation, she has lived through world war, rationing, Suez, the oil crisis, the three-day week. She personifies the conviction that we'll pull through. She may even suggest how we do it. For the values that she represents are not those of the get-rich-quick merchants, the bonus boys, the exorbitantly over-rewarded Sir Fred Goodwins, the expenses-fiddling politicians or the incompetent regulators who arguably have landed us in this mess.[my bolding]
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Courtier

Wow! We got a new thread for just this! Thanks, TPTB!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman insisted last night that the Queen wasn't remotely offended by the contact between herself and Mrs Obama, however.
'It was a mutual and spontaneous display of warm and affectionate appreciation between the Queen and Michelle Obama,' they said.
'They had already met more formally but the reception was very much an informal occasion and it was an appropriate gesture.'
When you like someone, you like someone! It was just so lovely to see, and being both woman, such an expression of warmth could not be considered, in my mind anyhow, as anything other than sweet natured.

Never have we seen the Queen express so publically a gesture as this toward a foreign entourage that is not of the blood royal. Given their respective height and age differences, It just made the moment all the more adorable really.

I for one think Michelle Obama to be a beautifully natured woman. She has a very kind face and surely only that can result from having a kind heart.

The next time they should meet (if they meet) here's hoping for the cheeck embrace......j/k.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Barack Obama expresses affection for Queen before Palace meeting