The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Commoner

About the "protocol mistake"
The Queen and Mrs. Obama: Did the First Lady Break Protocol? - TIME

About Michelle 1,80 cm having tea with the Queen 1,62 cm:
Swedish Royal WeddingThey seem to have a good time. Barack said he was exited as a schoolboy to meet the Queen.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Nobility

The Queen and Prince Philip Meet President Obama and First Lady - 1 April, 2009

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9
Pic 10
Pic 11
Pic 12

Protocol is abandoned as Michelle Obama cosies up to Queen - Times

Quote:
Protocol seems to be dispensed with when the Obamas come to town.

Michelle Obama and the Queen slipped their arms around each other towards the end of a reception at Buckingham Palace held in honour of the G20 leaders and their wives.

The US President and his wife appeared very relaxed in the company of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh from the start.
Obama Meets Queen Elizabeth II At Buckingham Palace (SLIDESHOW) (VIDEO) - HP

Old 04-02-2009, 04:19 AM
Royal Highness

All the Queen's Men (and a few women)...
News Summary Royalblog.nl: All the Queen's Men (and a few women)...

Barack Obama: "Her majesty is delightful"
http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblog...elightful.html
Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

America's First Lady Michelle Obama broke royal protocol during a reception at Buckingham Palace when she placed her arm around the Queen

Michelle Obama breaks royal protocol by giving the Queen a hug | Mail Online
Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Nobility

What a lovely picture of Her Majesty and Prince Phillip with the Obamas.the Queen is just amazing--wonderful woman-proof there is no substitute for integrity-and she and the Duke have it in spades!!
but im shokted How short does her majesty look!!!
i didn't like MICHELLE reaction ;when she broke royal protocol during a reception at Buckingham Palace .this women don't know who is the women she is meeting !!!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimae View Post
but i didn't like MICHELLE reaction ;when she broke royal protocol during a reception at Buckingham Palace .this women don't know who is the women she is meeting !!!
What happened? Was there some problem with Michelle's behavor?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I guess Chaimae meant this:
Video: Protocol is abandoned as Michelle Obama cosies up to Queen - Times Online
Barack And Michelle Obama Meet Queen Elizabeth: View From The US On Royal Protocol | World News | Sky News

I wonder if also Camilla is untouchable, according to the protocol!
WENN
WENN
Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Royal Highness

I am an American but I am also a religious royal watcher, and I was very interested in how the Obamas would react when they met the Queen and Prince Philip. Thoughts were racing through my head like....I hope she keeps her arms covered, I hope his tie is straight, etc, etc, etc. But I suppose that my worries were unfounded. The Obamas seemed to get along with the Queen swimmingly. As for Mrs. Obama touching the Queen, when the Queen was the first to put her arm around Michelle, I suppose she judged it safe to return the jesture. As for the gifts, I thought that they were wonderful, the Queen is known for her interest in techology and often texts her grandchildren and the songbook, well like as stated before, someone obviously did their homework. Great 1st visit so far.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimae View Post
i didn't like MICHELLE reaction ;when she broke royal protocol during a reception at Buckingham Palace .this women don't know who is the women she is meeting !!!

In fairness reports differ as to who initiated the "hug". Personally if HM didn't seem bothered (which i think its fair to say she didn't as she put her arm around the first lady) than i don't see the problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Dya know what? It was a breath of fresh air to see the Obamas meet the Queen. They were charming, respectful and the Queen and the DoE seemed to love being in their company. As for Michelle putting her arm around the Queen, I think it was a beautiful gesture and the fact that the Queen put her arm round Michelle obviously shows that HM didn't mind in the least. And now we know that the Queen wants to stay in touch with Barack and Obama on a personal level which surely can only benefit the UK and the USA?

As for the outrage at Michelle - I think there are bigger problems in the world and it's nice to see that some people show affection for the Queen rather than revering her like some Great She Elephant.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Gentry

for me the extraordinary thing isn't that Michelle hugged the Queen but that the Queen hugged Michelle!!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 AM

This is something I've just read about - it was the Queen who instigated the hug. So I don't see the biggie with those who are in uproar about a protocol breach.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Courtier

I know BeatrixFan! Can you imagine if the Queen had shied away from the First Lady's arm after her own initiative? Why, the Queen would have been branded a "racist" quicker than boiled asparagus (and I said the same on another thread.)

No, I watched the video of the meeting (more than once) from start to finish and I love the Queen, just love her, more than ever. The President really looked like he was genuinely awed and in admiration of HM. All four rose to the occasion so beautifully (who could doubt that the Queen would!)
Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Royal Highness

I think the visit of the President and Mrs Obama to the Queen went really well and I think the fact that the Queen felt comfortable enought to put her arm round Michelle Obama says an awful lot about how friendly and nice the Obamas are and how well they all got on together.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I know BeatrixFan! Can you imagine if the Queen had shied away from the First Lady's arm after her own initiative? Why, the Queen would have been branded a "racist" quicker than boiled asparagus (and I said the same on another thread.) ... [snipped]
Now it is a moot point to discuss who was the first to break the protocol: Mrs Obama or Her Majesty. I would say that chances of Her Majesty breaking the protocol are very slim. It would be fair to assume that she had to respond to the immediate situation. Her Majesty had a small room to maneuver. Had Her Majesty made a wrong move, she would have been labelled a "racist", and mass media outlets would have rehashed old stories about Prince Henri's and Princess Michael's attitudes toward people of different races.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Now it is a moot point to discuss who was the first to break the protocol: Mrs Obama or Her Majesty. I would say that chances of Her Majesty breaking the protocol are very slim. It would be fair to assume that she had to respond to the immediate situation. Her Majesty had a small room to maneuver. Had Her Majesty made a wrong move, she would have been labelled a "racist", and mass media outlets would have rehashed old stories about Prince Henri's and Princess Michael's attitudes toward people of different races.
I tend to agree with you, the bigger fuss is being made here purely on a point of protocol.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Well, let's not make any mistake here - the Queen broke 'protocol'. So thats a fact. I don't think she was seized upon by the first lady, far from it!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well, let's not make any mistake here - the Queen broke 'protocol'. So thats a fact. I don't think she was seized upon by the first lady, far from it!
Can the Queen break protocol? If she chooses to do something does that not become "protocol" for that moment?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM

God knows. Personally I think this whole breaking protocol thing is a bit ridiculous - it's just the Queen being friendly to a lady she gets on well with. As if we've got time or need for protocol anyway.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Can the Queen break protocol? If she chooses to do something does that not become "protocol" for that moment?
Possibly, it is simply not the done thing to lay hands on HM, everyone else (with a few notable exceptions) has managed it over the years. Of the first 3 pages in a search, regarding the 'incident' all report that MO broke protocol.
http://sandrarose.com/2009/04/02/mic...ing-the-queen/
Quote:
It was an awkward moment when the normally touchy-feely Michelle put her arm around the Queen. Shocked, the Queen raised her arm, lightly patted Michelle on the back, then quickly dropped her arm in a clear sign to Michelle to remove her arm, which Michelle did.
Do I think it matters a lot, no, but lets not pretend it is all HM's doing.