The Queen, the Obamas and the G20 Summit: April 2, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the Curtsey

I was finally able to access YouTube. I won't comment on the 'hug' . Body mechanics on both parts seemed awkward to me and the room was crowded. Not sure if it started as an embrace or an accident. But the Queen as always was gracious and kind.Actually what is bothering me was a SKYNEWS video showing President Obama and Michelle first entering the room to meet the Queen and DOE. The Queen has her hand extended. Michelle came in first (not the President) strode in like for a business meeting and vigorously shook HM hand and then the DOE. The President then came bowed and the took the Queen's hand. Then while the President and the Queen were talking Michelle makes a dip like "oh no I forgot to curtsey".I think Michelle was Very nervous. She also needs a more experienced White House etiquette and protocol staff.Nice to see the Queen reaching out and being kind to Michelle.

Last edited:
:previous: Interesting to read your take on that video, sthreats. I, too, formed the view that Mrs Obama was very nervous. She seemed very uncertain as to where to stand when HRH called them to photo positions. He was standing back and she decided the thing for her to do was stand next to HM.

I think HM sensed how nervous she was but liked her and was trying to put her at ease with the hand on the back. The whole "incident" was very brief and I'm sure HM sensed Mrs O was trying to do the right thing and that she would not have been at all offended.

:previous: Interesting to read your take on that video, sthreats. I, too, formed the view that Mrs Obama was very nervous. She seemed very uncertain as to where to stand when HRH called them to photo positions. He was standing back and she decided the thing for her to do was stand next to HM.

I think HM sensed how nervous she was but liked her and was trying to put her at ease with the hand on the back. The whole "incident" was very brief and I'm sure HM sensed Mrs O was trying to do the right thing and that she would not have been at all offended.
Rosly and sthreats that's a good take on it, all the more reason for me to like the queen. Michelle is a girl from the south side of chicago, never did she imagine that she would be the first lady of the united states, much less did she imagine she would be meeting the queen. I am certain that michelle was properly briefed and that she asked all the necessary questions on how to conduct herself but she was so nervous it all probably went out the door. She was herself and the queen liked her.
What is so sweet about this all is how the queen can reduce the president of the united states to smiling like a schoolbo, in fact theres a picture of him when he was little with that same exact smile as in the pics with the queen, and michelle, a high powered harvard educated lawyer and the first lady of the US, to a nervous mess.

It's disappointing that dry arguments over "protocol" should colour what was simply a spontaneous and very human expression of connection and tenderness. Whether it was HM or Michelle Obama who initiated the action (reports differ), it doesn't matter. It was sweet, showed HM in a whole new light, and has generated largely positive comment.

For royal-watchers like us, and I assume supporters of the British Monarchy as an institution and followers of the Royal Family, we should be pleased that this event put the Queen squarely on the front page at a gathering of the world's most powerful leaders. Who would have thought?

HM still has the capacity to surprise and delight. We've just seen proof positive that the 'royal mystique' is alive and well. Wonderful! :)

It's disappointing that dry arguments over "protocol" should colour what was simply a spontaneous and very human expression of connection and tenderness.
I am disappointed at the excuses being made for such a breach.

John Howard was lambasted for appearing to guide HM, Paul Keating was ridiculed with name calling, so why is it any different? In reality it is not!

I am inclined to agree with Skydragon. It is not refreshing to see the protocol rules being broken. The excuse is clumsily inadequate, I dare to say.

Oh dear, we are not at the Court of the Habsburgs.
I would have thought that any supporter of Her Majesty would be gratified at the positive coverage she has been receiving on both sides of the Atlantic, and elsewhere.
In terms of foreign policy she's done more for US-British public relations in half an hour than any number of diplomats or politicians could achieve.
Her simple gesture has proved to be a triumph for the Queen. Why deny her that?

The Obamas are the first BLACK couple to achieve the hight of power in the United States, no small feat for the racial history of the country. People are charmed by them and in this case an exception was made, it was sweet and lovely, that's it. No excuses are needed and no one died...

but why should an exception be made for the obamas? because they're black? that's racist. Because they're new or nervous? hardly. If john howard and others have been lambasted for touching the queen, then so should michelle. and I saw the video and I dare say the queen didn't look entirely pleased when michelle touched her. in the video I saw, it looked as if the queen quickly pulled away from michelle, but its possible I saw an edited video. I can't remember where I saw the video either.

Oh dear, we are not at the Court of the Habsburgs.
I would have thought that any supporter of Her Majesty would be gratified at the positive coverage she has been receiving on both sides of the Atlantic, and elsewhere.
In terms of foreign policy she's done more for US-British public relations in half an hour than any number of diplomats or politicians could achieve.
Her simple gesture has proved to be a triumph for the Queen. Why deny her that?
Perhaps coverage of HM is not positive in Australia, because she already receives positive coverage here.:) I don't think the breaking of a rule almost everyone in the world knows has done anything for Anglo/American relations. As with everything there will be those who think it's OK and those that don't, that as ever depends who you talk to.

You shouldn't have one rule for Australian PMs and another for the wife of the current US President.

but why should an exception be made for the obamas? because they're black? that's racist.
No, I never said it should. What I said was people are charmed by them, and I gave an example why.

But, I guess you're right it's racist for the queen to allow a black woman to touch her.

No, I never said it should. What I said was people are charmed by them, and I gave an example why.

But, I guess you're right it's racist for the queen to allow a black woman to touch her.

ha, and whoever said that? noone is supposed to touch the queen. that's protocol and that's how its been for how long?

I NEVER said it was racist for the queen to allow a black woman to touch her so DONT put words in my mouth.

I really feel sorry for Mrs Obama in all this. AFAIAC this is a storm in a teacup. It was no more than a fleeting gesture of warmth and friendliness.

As for the comparison between the reactions to our PMs and Mrs O touching HM, I think the problem might really lie in the reaction to the first rather than to the latter. I am sure neither Mr Keating nor Mr Howard set out to intentionally break protocol either.

Politicians seem to have body language lessons fairly early in their careers. Those friendly and inclusive gestures like putting arms around people and taking hands offered to shake with their two hands must become second nature to them and it must be very difficult for those who do not regularly move in less tactile Royal circles to adjust their behaviour. I am sure HM knows this.

And, as an aside, I had no idea the Obamas were so tall! :ohmy:

I think the whole event bodes well for improved relations between governments.

Note to self: never stand next to the Obamas! If they dwarf HM who is rather taller than me, what would I look like??

I am a little confused why this breach of protocol is still a "big" deal.

Yes, Mrs. Obama touched HM...and HM touched Mrs. Obama. Frenzy ensues.

Then a Buckingham Palace source stated that there is no official policy on touching the Queen, and mentioned that HM enjoyed meeting Mrs. Obama (I am just paraphrasing here).

Yes, there is essentially no difference in what Mrs. Obama did and the former Australian PM and the other gentleman (sorry, there names don't immeadiately come to mind) did EXCEPT one important detail. HM didn't seem to mind with Mrs. Obama. Unless of course, we are going to discounting the Palace source which I supposed would be a legit reason. If HM was truly annoyed than I guess she wouldn't have suggested that they stay in touch.

I for one thought it was a lovely touch...it appeared that Mrs. Obama was very nervious to meet the Queen. And perhaps HM felt that and tried to put her at ease.

I believe in protocol and this simply isn't done. That said, I never realized how tall the Obamas are! My goodness-look at this picture:
http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2009/04/02/1238651402_0399/539w.jpg

It's wonderful--and look at those smiles on the Obamas faces--they are so thrilled to meet the Queen. I didn't vote for him but I certainly appreciate what an exciting time this is for him and Michelle. And, she looks fabulous. I have that exact outfit, but I'm short so it doesn't look quite so good on me.

I think the whole event bodes well for improved relations between governments.

Note to self: never stand next to the Obamas! If they dwarf HM who is rather taller than me, what would I look like??

I'm curious as to how this will help relations between the two nations? As much as I adore the queen, she doesn't set relations between the two nations or between any nations. While she is a figurehead, she is not the one Obama would go running to if there was a problem, correct?

OT-I am 5'6 and I wouldn't want to stand next to the Obama's. I feel short enough already, I don't need them to make me feel worse :lol:

Its interesting how everyone keeps mentioning protocol and how this simply isn't done. So my next question is....is there anything official on how one should act when meeting the Queen. Like a link for official protocol?

Cause again, if we are going by the Buckingham Palace source...than this all much to do about nothing.

south side girl meets the Queen

It had to have been an awesome and overwhelming experience for both of the Obamas. But Michelle's emotions are all over her face. I think that's what people are finding charming. She's down to earth and real. She made a misstep. And the Queen can tell the difference between a pushy/rude person vs a nervous one. I think that's why she said "keep in chart"

Rosly and sthreats that's a good take on it, all the more reason for me to like the queen. Michelle is a girl from the south side of chicago, never did she imagine that she would be the first lady of the united states, much less did she imagine she would be meeting the queen. I am certain that michelle was properly briefed and that she asked all the necessary questions on how to conduct herself but she was so nervous it all probably went out the door. She was herself and the queen liked her.
What is so sweet about this all is how the queen can reduce the president of the united states to smiling like a schoolbo, in fact theres a picture of him when he was little with that same exact smile as in the pics with the queen, and michelle, a high powered harvard educated lawyer and the first lady of the US, to a nervous mess.

Its interesting how everyone keeps mentioning protocol and how this simply isn't done. So my next question is....is there anything official on how one should act when meeting the Queen. Like a link for official protocol?

Cause again, if we are going by the Buckingham Palace source...than this all much to do about nothing.
The protocol regarding the Monarch is clear. You do not speak unless spoken to and you do not touch the Monarch unless it is to shake hands and then only if she puts her hand out first. Even George and Laura Bush managed to follow protocol, being excited is no excuse, there will be many world leaders who will not be so gracious if you break with their traditions/protocols.

It seems to have started back in the 12th century when it was believed a touch from the Monarch could cure Scrofula, because the ptb did not want to drain the divine power, protocol demanded that you couldn't just touch HM!

So almost without exception everyone else has managed to follow tradition.

The most remarkable issue in this whole story is not what Michelle did but that the Queen put her arm on Michelle's back. If the Queen was uncomfortable she could easily have taken a small step away from Michelle but instead she appears to have reciprocated and put her arm on Michelle.

HM didn't seem to mind with Mrs. Obama.

The Queen didn't seem bothered by it when Paul Keating (the Australian Prime Minister) made contact either. The British press however, felt obliged (which is hardly surprising) to take the former PM to task over the matter.

I recall some years back when the English cricket team were touring Australia during an Ashes series, and a well known Australian impersonator of the Queen was invited to take part in a joint gala evening. If I recall correctly the then captain of the English side went completely bonkers over the "apparent" lack of respect and dignity shown towards England's Queen. Making a mockery of her, I believe was his beef. That we should be ashamed and disgraced were his thoughts on what was a particularly harmless attempt to have a little carefree fun.

By the way he spoke, I believe the captain forgot himself, and the fact his Queen, was/is ours. A tad highly strung, shall we say!

Storms in exquisite bone china teacups - how we love em eh!? Protocol shmotocol - really, the Queen can break her own rules surely.

Never mind, I think if it gets people thinking about the important role the Queen plays, then it is a good thing. The relationships that she is able to forge with world leaders, and the impression she is able to give them of Britain, are a wonderful thing for us and the world. She may not have the power, but she has the power to inspire and thrill. Funny how one little 80 odd year old lady can still do that isn't it. As someone very sensibly remarked - this is a woman who has met Churchill and JFK - who else has done that on the world stage?

I think is has been great for Britain to have the G20 here this week, and it just makes me laugh how the Queen has been the biggest story - not all the protesters (or indeed what has actually been discussed - I guess that makes me pretty shallow;-)) In weeks like this republicans would have a hard job winning any kind of referendum!

Actually they'd probably do pretty well by saying the Queen took the spotlight away from the real issues.

Or maybe The Daily Show's John Oliver really has the inside scoop, and there's a more .... nefarious reason that we're not supposed to touch The Queen??? :eek: :D

The Daily Show: The Poisonous Queen

I loved that. It reminded me of all this business about the royals really being shape-shifting giant lizards from the planet Gazombo or whatever it was.:dragon:

The Queen didn't seem bothered by it when Paul Keating (the Australian Prime Minister) made contact either. The British press however, felt obliged (which is hardly surprising) to take the former PM to task over the matter.

:D
Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating was dubbed the republican "Lizard of Oz" after he put his arm around the queen in 1992.
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5475324,00.jpg

French President Jacques Chirac nearly came in for the same treatment when he nearly touched the queen in 2004. He went to comical lengths to avoid touching Queen Elizabeth during one meeting in 2004, springing from one side to the other as he tried to guide the sovereign to the right spot without making contact. But he was nonetheless roasted in Britain's newspapers for coming within a whisker of manhandling the monarch.
(source: Protocol breach as Obama gets hands on )

Protocol is protocol, don't touch, full stop. The whole handling only shows HM's class and larger-than-life personality.

Do we really need protocol these days? Personally I'd rather we had rules and regulations on things that mattered.

I was pleased to see the Queen being very friendly and warm.Unfortunately,too many people in the press are uninformed and their ignorance has created a firestorm of bad reporting.I have read and heard nothing but "Did Michelle Obama break protocol by touching the Queen" and "You're not supposed to touch the Queen." Why can't these fool reporters carry out competent research?The Queen initiated the contact and it was such a lovely moment!
Protocol was not broken--even former Buckingham Palace spokesman Dickie Arbiter said so!Protocol says that one waits for the Queen to act--the Queen must greet you first,then you reciprocate.

I loved that. It reminded me of all this business about the royals really being shape-shifting giant lizards from the planet Gazombo or whatever it was.:dragon:

Shape-shifting reptilian aliens who are part of the New World Order conspiracy that includes the Bilderburgs, the Rothschilds, the Bushes and anyone else with power and influence in the world!

Sorry, I have eclectic reading habits. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom