The Queen, the Obamas and the G20 Summit: April 2, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for me the extraordinary thing isn't that Michelle hugged the Queen but that the Queen hugged Michelle!!

This is something I've just read about - it was the Queen who instigated the hug. So I don't see the biggie with those who are in uproar about a protocol breach.

I know BeatrixFan! Can you imagine if the Queen had shied away from the First Lady's arm after her own initiative? Why, the Queen would have been branded a "racist" quicker than boiled asparagus (and I said the same on another thread.)

No, I watched the video of the meeting (more than once) from start to finish and I love the Queen, just love her, more than ever. The President really looked like he was genuinely awed and in admiration of HM. All four rose to the occasion so beautifully (who could doubt that the Queen would!)

I think the visit of the President and Mrs Obama to the Queen went really well and I think the fact that the Queen felt comfortable enought to put her arm round Michelle Obama says an awful lot about how friendly and nice the Obamas are and how well they all got on together.

I know BeatrixFan! Can you imagine if the Queen had shied away from the First Lady's arm after her own initiative? Why, the Queen would have been branded a "racist" quicker than boiled asparagus (and I said the same on another thread.) ... [snipped]
Now it is a moot point to discuss who was the first to break the protocol: Mrs Obama or Her Majesty. I would say that chances of Her Majesty breaking the protocol are very slim. It would be fair to assume that she had to respond to the immediate situation. Her Majesty had a small room to maneuver
_20_m_EB_22nu_v_EB_20_24_A0_2D_EBr_.gif
. Had Her Majesty made a wrong move, she would have been labelled a "racist", and mass media outlets would have rehashed old stories about Prince Henri's and Princess Michael's attitudes toward people of different races.

Now it is a moot point to discuss who was the first to break the protocol: Mrs Obama or Her Majesty. I would say that chances of Her Majesty breaking the protocol are very slim. It would be fair to assume that she had to respond to the immediate situation. Her Majesty had a small room to maneuver
_20_m_EB_22nu_v_EB_20_24_A0_2D_EBr_.gif
. Had Her Majesty made a wrong move, she would have been labelled a "racist", and mass media outlets would have rehashed old stories about Prince Henri's and Princess Michael's attitudes toward people of different races.
I tend to agree with you, the bigger fuss is being made here purely on a point of protocol.:flowers:

Well, let's not make any mistake here - the Queen broke 'protocol'. So thats a fact. I don't think she was seized upon by the first lady, far from it!

Well, let's not make any mistake here - the Queen broke 'protocol'. So thats a fact. I don't think she was seized upon by the first lady, far from it!
Can the Queen break protocol? If she chooses to do something does that not become "protocol" for that moment?

God knows. Personally I think this whole breaking protocol thing is a bit ridiculous - it's just the Queen being friendly to a lady she gets on well with. As if we've got time or need for protocol anyway.

Can the Queen break protocol? If she chooses to do something does that not become "protocol" for that moment?
Possibly, it is simply not the done thing to lay hands on HM, everyone else (with a few notable exceptions) has managed it over the years. Of the first 3 pages in a search, regarding the 'incident' all report that MO broke protocol.
http://sandrarose.com/2009/04/02/michelle-obama-breaks-protocol-by-touching-the-queen/
It was an awkward moment when the normally touchy-feely Michelle put her arm around the Queen. Shocked, the Queen raised her arm, lightly patted Michelle on the back, then quickly dropped her arm in a clear sign to Michelle to remove her arm, which Michelle did.
Do I think it matters a lot, no, but lets not pretend it is all HM's doing.

It has been determined by Daily Mail that Michelle Obama breaks royal protocol by giving the Queen a hug | Mail Online
America's First Lady Michelle Obama broke royal protocol during a reception at Buckingham Palace when she placed her arm around the Queen. But rather than take offence, Her Majesty took the unusual step of returning the gesture by putting her arm round Mrs Obama's waist - almost as if to confirm the special relationship the politicians are so keen to play up.

I dread the next visit - what if *gasp* the Queen kisses Michelle on the cheek?

HM is quite entitled to do so, (she might need a box to stand on), if it is MO who kisses HM - off to the tower! :lol:

Thank you so much for the info. Did not look like HM minded much at all.... Hope they had a good visit ...the first of many to come....

Well, if there's one thing about the G20 summit that's practically guaranteed, it's that the more the Queen embraces (literally and figuratively!) the Obamas, the higher her approval rating will be. I've just read a few comments about the visit on British news sites, and it's amazing to see how the Queen seems to have grown more popular just by being in Barack Obama's presence. In the past, meeting the British monarch would have a similar effect on the standings of lesser leaders. Judging from the general reaction to the Obama visit, I wonder who the real "royalty" is today? ;)

Someone touch the queen and the world did not come to an end, imagine that...

i was appauled by the lack of protocol that mrs obama showed. i saw them entering the room to meet the queen, and immediately before anything, she jumped to give her her hand. i thought it initially had to be barack the first in greeting the queen, then his wife, but most importantly, i thought they had to wait for the queen to offer her hand first! i couldn't believe she hugged her either. i must admit i was a bit shocked.

I agree with you on the court circular bit, i can never seem to get the diary of upcoming events to work right. And we've lost the mailbox and inight sections which were quite informative and fun. That being said there are ome really good bits of teh new website, and there is some good information on there such as "a day in the life of..." for most members of the family. That being said alot of the text has clearly just been copy and pasted from the old pages and there are still no pages for the York girls, wouldn't this have been agood chance to add some?

On the new website, you can search the Court Circular here
Search the Court Circular

Well, if there's one thing about the G20 summit that's practically guaranteed, it's that the more the Queen embraces (literally and figuratively!) the Obamas, the higher her approval rating will be. I've just read a few comments about the visit on British news sites, and it's amazing to see how the Queen seems to have grown more popular just by being in Barack Obama's presence. In the past, meeting the British monarch would have a similar effect on the standings of lesser leaders. Judging from the general reaction to the Obama visit, I wonder who the real "royalty" is today? ;)

Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh are the`real royalty`. Her Majesty does not concern herself with any kind of`approval rating`. However popular Barack Obama appears to be let us not forget he is a politician. The Queen and the royal family will be here long after he is out of office which will be in either four or eight short years.

I've just read a few comments about the visit on British news sites, and it's amazing to see how the Queen seems to have grown more popular just by being in Barack Obama's presence. In the past, meeting the British monarch would have a similar effect on the standings of lesser leaders. Judging from the general reaction to the Obama visit, I wonder who the real "royalty" is today? ;)
I don't think HMs position has changed just because she met a few more world leaders this week, as for who is the 'real' royalty, HM of course. :flowers:

However popular Mr Obama is at the moment, as with any politician that can change in a very short time!

I notice in some other pictures that Mr. Obama was patting Camilla on the back, too. Camilla was smiling, so it didn't seem to offend her.

It's good to see that our country's representatives seem to have made a good impression on some other world leaders, including Her Majesty and Clan Windsor.

I thought the moment between Michelle and The Queen was cute, The Queen seemed equally smitten in conversation with Hillary Clinton. I don't blame her for liking powerful women, she probably relates to them.

this is taken from the daily mail online article

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman insisted last night that the Queen wasn't remotely offended by the contact between herself and Mrs Obama, however.
'It was a mutual and spontaneous display of warm and affectionate appreciation between the Queen and Michelle Obama,' they said.
'They had already met more formally but the reception was very much an informal occasion and it was an appropriate gesture.'

Did Michelle Obama break royal protocol by giving the Queen a hug? | Mail Online

Hi,

I would caution everyone not to bank on any approval rating(s) by being associated with President Obama or Mrs. Obama.
As has been pointed out here - "he's a politician and his current popularity can change" and overnight too!!

If his economic solution(s) or any other political strategies fail, then he will be as reviled as Bush or Nixon...

Thanfully, The Queen is above all that.
"Long may she reign!"...

Larry

The Queen seemed equally smitten in conversation with Hillary Clinton. I don't blame her for liking powerful women, she probably relates to them.
HM is intelligent and a keen listener, I'm sure she is very well aware that PM Brown will be working with Sec. of State Clinton and she's checking her out. ;)

i was appauled by the lack of protocol that mrs obama showed. i saw them entering the room to meet the queen, and immediately before anything, she jumped to give her her hand. i thought it initially had to be barack the first in greeting the queen, then his wife, but most importantly, i thought they had to wait for the queen to offer her hand first! i couldn't believe she hugged her either. i must admit i was a bit shocked.

Appalled? Come on.

So true.:ermm: I sincerely hope that his strategies succeed, whatever my personal view of the man's politics.:flowers:

Hi,

I would caution everyone not to bank on any approval rating(s) by being associated with President Obama or Mrs. Obama.
As has been pointed out here - "he's a politician and his current popularity can change" and overnight too!!

If his economic solution(s) or any other political strategies fail, then he will be as reviled as Bush or Nixon...

Thanfully, The Queen is above all that.
"Long may she reign!"...

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom