The Queen, the Obamas and the G20 Summit: April 2, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... [snipped] It's not an effective debating tactic to accuse the other side of "mass hysteria".
There has been no hysteria in this discussion, mass or otherwise, and there's no need for excessive hyperbole.
It has been kind of you to provide your opinion on my post. My post has not broken any rules, hasn't it? People tend to have different interpretations of various things and notions. That is all. Thanks for your opinion anyway...

I've been a mass of hysteria for decades now. . . . :shifty:

Erm - manhandles? Mrs Obama just put her arm round HM in response to the Queen touching her; that doesn't strike me as manhandling. I'm sure she was given all sorts of protocol pointers, and I'm equally sure they didn't include what to do if the Queen initiated physical contact. She was probably at a complete loss about what to do, and I'm sure she wasn't trying to be offensive.

Looking at the photos of the incident (which couldn't have lasted more than a few seconds), I too at first found it very touching. From reading here on TRF, I've learned a lot about just what does go on in the lives of HM and her family from reading these posts. Isn't it true though that one never addresses HM unless she addresses one first? Nor does one shake HM's hand unless she offers hers first? To be honest.. as an American, I would see these rules as to be such as to follow HM's lead as far as protocol. I would have done the same thing in Michelle Obama's place too. If HM had deemed to put her arm on my back, I'd feel it would be an offense to NOT reciprocate.

All I can say is that this little scenario did endear HM to me more.

Same here, Osipi. I have always been an admirer of this particular Queen, who along with Fabiola of Belgium is one of a dying breed of Royals who actually behave like true Royals...warm and down to Earth but with a dignity befitting birth and rank.

Qp

I agree with you QP. I am not an Obama fan least of all of Michele. I would hope someone would tell her how to behave- we did have a protocol department at the White house and at the Dept. of State. If no one else, surely Hillary Clinton could give her some pointers.

To me Mrs. Obama was not disrepectful to HM. Too much fuss by the media over nothing.

^^previous
The media made a fuss about it because what MO did is not done. HM may have touched her first, but reciprocation was not called for or necessary IMO. Disregard for protocol (not becoming too familiar with HM) is disrespectful, as well intentioned her gesture may have been.

Has HM ever been seen to embrace or touch someone other than family members?

This thread is now closed, as the subject is way past its shelf life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom