The Queen and the Caribbean: Residences, Governors-General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they see it through their own distorted republican eyes, and fail forever to find the truth (which itself is as alien to them as walking on the moon 100 years ago) of the matter.

The Tribune

Tomorrow's Speech From the Throne at the opening of Parliament will be read by the Bahamas' new Governor General, Sir Arthur Foulkes.

As was predicted by The Tribune earlier this week, The Cabinet Office has just announced that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has appointed Sir Arthur Governor-General of The Bahamas and her official representative in The Bahamas.

I wish him well in his new post. I hope the 'job' does not get the better of him in terms of his health either.

Actually, Queen Elizabeth is no longer the monarch over the Bahamas. I think they gained their independence from her in the '70s. Although a lot of what they do is still adapted from the British.

Actually, Queen Elizabeth is no longer the monarch over the Bahamas. I think they gained their independence from her in the '70s. Although a lot of what they do is still adapted from the British.

They are a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, and still have Queen Elizabeth as there monarch.

They are a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, and still have Queen Elizabeth as there monarch.

What exactly do you mean when you say Queen Elizabeth is their monarch? Bahamas gained independence in the '70s, which makes them an independent nation. Although, like I said earlier, Bahamas still follows traditions from the UK. Bahamas is very "lenient" with the situation because they like the Queen, so they have not totally pulled away from her.

The Bahamas is an independent constitutional monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of the Bahamas in a role that is legally separate from her role as Queen of the United Kingdom.

The Bahamas is an independent constitutional monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of the Bahamas in a role that is legally separate from her role as Queen of the United Kingdom.

And also very much like Canada. Canada has her own parliament and Governor General but Queen Elizabeth is still regarded as the Head of State as they are still a British Commonweath nation and recognize the Queen as such.

Even though I don't like Queen Elizabeth she shouldn't abdicate r other thing like that.British tradition should be respected.No matter if we have XXI century or XXX.

Last edited:
So Patty why dont you like the Queen? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Im just curious. As for Jamaica, why would they give up being part of the crown? Have they been treated badly by the U.K.?

It isn't a matter of how they have been treated but how they feel about themselves.

They want to have their own Head of State.

In the US every child theoretically has the ability to grow up to be the nation's Head of State. In Jamaica they can't - and what is more that Head of State doesn't even live in Jamaica - that is the problem - having a foriegner who visits about once a decade as the Head of State.

They aren't 'part of the crown'. Jamaica is a separate realm not part of the UK at all. Since the UK moved into the EEC, as it was then - now the EU - it has had less and less relevance to the other realms - a number of which have raised the spectre of becoming republics, many of which have done so. When the Queen became Queen there were about 50 realms but now there are 16 and by the time William becomes King there will probably be single figures.

Australia will probably become a republic shortly after the Queen dies and I say that because at the moment it appears that both political parties have decided to put on hold the question of a republic for the rest of the Queen's reign.

I do think Canada may end up being the last overseas realm.

Thank you for the explanation. I understand now. Always learning something new :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom