Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Official Visit to Rome - March 6-7, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumutqueen

Imperial Majesty
City
Middlewich
Country
United Kingdom
Buckingham Palace announced this afternoon that the couple will make a two day visit to Rome in March.

Updated information - they'll be there on the 6th and 7th someone might want to change the title.

Last edited:
Yay - I love Rome. Now the HUGE question....

Will the Queen wear white?

(NO):flowers: LOL but I hear Prince Phillip plans to wear white sox (not)

What is the purpose of the visit? I assume if it was a state visit the trip would have been announced as such.

Will they be making a trip to Vatican City along with Rome or just Rome?

(Someday I hope to see both lovely Italian cities, but as it is, I have to live vicariously through other people for now.)

What is the purpose of the visit? I assume if it was a state visit the trip would have been announced as such.

We don't know, doesn't seem to be a state visit else it would probably be to Italy not just Rome perhaps.

Will they be making a trip to Vatican City along with Rome or just Rome?

(Someday I hope to see both lovely Italian cities, but as it is, I have to live vicariously through other people for now.)

I imagine it will include a visit to the Vatican. No details have been announced yet.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsa...dTheDukeofEdinburghwillvisitRome6Februar.aspx

ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will visit Rome from Wednesday 6 March to Thursday 7 March 2013.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness are visiting following an invitation from the President of Italy, President Napolitano.

Background
Find out more about overseas visits

Based on the reports, there will be no visit to Vatican this time - just meeting with the President.

A bit off-topic but I have always wondered how those invitations work. Why would President Napolitano invite the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to Italy? What is the aim of the visit? And does that mean there will be a state visit from Italy to Britain this or next year?

HM.The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh Will Visit Rome, 6-7 March 2013

225px-Badge_of_the_House_of_Windsor.svg.png

Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II Accompanied by His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Rome from Wednesday 6 March to Thursday 7 March 2013.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness are visiting following an invitation from the President of Italy, President Napolitano.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness before've been to Italy on 2-5 May 1961, 14-17 October 1980 and 16-19 October 2000.

:britflag::britflag::britflag::queenelizabeth::philipstandard::britflag::britflag::britflag:

Since she is not a Catholic Monarch she won't wear white if they do end up at the Vatican. The pics I've seen in the past show her wearing black or dark colors.

LaRae

Based on the reports, there will be no visit to Vatican this time - just meeting with the President.

A bit off-topic but I have always wondered how those invitations work. Why would President Napolitano invite the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to Italy? What is the aim of the visit? And does that mean there will be a state visit from Italy to Britain this or next year?

Sometimes it's for political reasons, strenghten ties and whatnot. If there hasn't been a visit in a while so it's "overdue".

The Pope was in the UK just a couple of years ago, I'm sure the Queen and DoE are in no great rush to see him again so soon.

I would imagine that Italy, given its huge economic problems, needs to get more relatively better off northern Europeans to visit and spend money. Having photos in the British press of the Queen enjoying the sights is probably as good marketing as they can get without spending many millions they don't have on TV advertising.

Well, we just got our answer about why she won't be visiting the Pope. There probably won't be one.

Last edited:
Well, we just got our answer about why she won't be visiting the Pope. There probably won't be one.

Well there might be one, and a new one would provide a good reason to visit next year perhaps.

Also, somehow I doubt the Popes decision made any impact on The President inviting The Queen to visit Rome.

It is interesting to note that the invitation was extended by the President of Italy, President Napolitano, for HM to vist Rome not the Pope inviting her to visit the Vatican.

This makes it more of a State Visit and of a more political nature than that of the Pope's visit to the UK.

oh my god!! I'm really excited!!! I'll go and follow them all the day long!XD

:previous:
If you happen to take any pictures of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, do share with us! :)

Well there might be one, and a new one would provide a good reason to visit next year perhaps.

Also, somehow I doubt the Popes decision made any impact on The President inviting The Queen to visit Rome.

They are in Rome on the 6 &7th....the conclave I believe starts on or about the 15th so no Pope.

Since she is not a Catholic Monarch she won't wear white if they do end up at the Vatican. The pics I've seen in the past show her wearing black or dark colors.

LaRae

I'm not sure, but I believe royalty of any religious persuasion can wear (and are invited to wear) white for a papal audience, as the Pope is the CP of the Church.

If this is incorrect, please direct accordingly.

:previous: This has been dicussed recently in the Albert and ~Charlene thread because of their visit.

Privilège du blanc is a privilege held by female Catholic monarchs and wives of Catholic monarchs, wherein they are allowed to wear white when in an audience with the Pope. Its literal translation to English is "privilege of the white".

Link to full wiki page: Privilège du blanc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the QEII has met with the Pope in the past she has worn black.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I believe royalty of any religious persuasion can wear (and are invited to wear) white for a papal audience, as the Pope is the CP of the Church.

If this is incorrect, please direct accordingly.

Privilege du blanc (privilege of the white) is normally reserved only for female Catholic Monarchs and wives of Catholic Monarchs. Everyone else is supposed to wear black. Queen Elizabeth has always done so during her meetings with the Pope (of the time).

There have been exceptions to this rule, however. Raisa Gorbachyova wore red to meet the Pope. On the other hand, Cherie Blair (wife of the former British Prime Minister) wore white - despite not being the Monarch's or indeed the Head of State's spouse. That caused quite a controversy.

today the italian press (corriere della sera) announced that this will be a private visit, the Queen will not stay at the Quirinale (the residence of the Italian president) but will visit him. then the Queen will visit the Pantheon, the church where the savoia kings are buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom