The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Queen and Prince Phillip official visit to Rome - 6-7 March 2013

Buckingham Palace announced this afternoon that the couple will make a two day visit to Rome in March.

Updated information - they'll be there on the 6th and 7th someone might want to change the title.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Courtier

Great news!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yay - I love Rome. Now the HUGE question....

Will the Queen wear white?

(NO) LOL but I hear Prince Phillip plans to wear white sox (not)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

What is the purpose of the visit? I assume if it was a state visit the trip would have been announced as such.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 AM
Aristocracy

Will they be making a trip to Vatican City along with Rome or just Rome?

(Someday I hope to see both lovely Italian cities, but as it is, I have to live vicariously through other people for now.)
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
What is the purpose of the visit? I assume if it was a state visit the trip would have been announced as such.
We don't know, doesn't seem to be a state visit else it would probably be to Italy not just Rome perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
Will they be making a trip to Vatican City along with Rome or just Rome?

(Someday I hope to see both lovely Italian cities, but as it is, I have to live vicariously through other people for now.)
I imagine it will include a visit to the Vatican. No details have been announced yet.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...e6Februar.aspx

ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will visit Rome from Wednesday 6 March to Thursday 7 March 2013.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness are visiting following an invitation from the President of Italy, President Napolitano.

Background
Find out more about overseas visits
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Based on the reports, there will be no visit to Vatican this time - just meeting with the President.

A bit off-topic but I have always wondered how those invitations work. Why would President Napolitano invite the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to Italy? What is the aim of the visit? And does that mean there will be a state visit from Italy to Britain this or next year?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 AM

HM.The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh Will Visit Rome, 6-7 March 2013

Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II Accompanied by His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Rome from Wednesday 6 March to Thursday 7 March 2013.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness are visiting following an invitation from the President of Italy, President Napolitano.

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness before've been to Italy on 2-5 May 1961, 14-17 October 1980 and 16-19 October 2000.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Serene Highness

Since she is not a Catholic Monarch she won't wear white if they do end up at the Vatican. The pics I've seen in the past show her wearing black or dark colors.

LaRae
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Based on the reports, there will be no visit to Vatican this time - just meeting with the President.

A bit off-topic but I have always wondered how those invitations work. Why would President Napolitano invite the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to Italy? What is the aim of the visit? And does that mean there will be a state visit from Italy to Britain this or next year?
Sometimes it's for political reasons, strenghten ties and whatnot. If there hasn't been a visit in a while so it's "overdue".
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Pope was in the UK just a couple of years ago, I'm sure the Queen and DoE are in no great rush to see him again so soon.

I would imagine that Italy, given its huge economic problems, needs to get more relatively better off northern Europeans to visit and spend money. Having photos in the British press of the Queen enjoying the sights is probably as good marketing as they can get without spending many millions they don't have on TV advertising.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we just got our answer about why she won't be visiting the Pope. There probably won't be one.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Well, we just got our answer about why she won't be visiting the Pope. There probably won't be one.
Well there might be one, and a new one would provide a good reason to visit next year perhaps.

Also, somehow I doubt the Popes decision made any impact on The President inviting The Queen to visit Rome.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

It is interesting to note that the invitation was extended by the President of Italy, President Napolitano, for HM to vist Rome not the Pope inviting her to visit the Vatican.

This makes it more of a State Visit and of a more political nature than that of the Pope's visit to the UK.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Gentry

oh my god!! I'm really excited!!! I'll go and follow them all the day long!XD
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

If you happen to take any pictures of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, do share with us!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well there might be one, and a new one would provide a good reason to visit next year perhaps.

Also, somehow I doubt the Popes decision made any impact on The President inviting The Queen to visit Rome.
They are in Rome on the 6 &7th....the conclave I believe starts on or about the 15th so no Pope.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Since she is not a Catholic Monarch she won't wear white if they do end up at the Vatican. The pics I've seen in the past show her wearing black or dark colors.

LaRae
I'm not sure, but I believe royalty of any religious persuasion can wear (and are invited to wear) white for a papal audience, as the Pope is the CP of the Church.

If this is incorrect, please direct accordingly.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

This has been dicussed recently in the Albert and ~Charlene thread because of their visit.

Privilège du blanc is a privilege held by female Catholic monarchs and wives of Catholic monarchs, wherein they are allowed to wear white when in an audience with the Pope. Its literal translation to English is "privilege of the white".

Link to full wiki page: Privilège du blanc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the QEII has met with the Pope in the past she has worn black.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread

Tags
british, italy, qiie