The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Nobility

I think he just crossed a line that must never be crossed there. I also think he 'might' have crossed himself out of a few honours usually bestowed upon H.M.'s former Prime Ministers as well.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

It is regrettable that Mr Blair's head continues to be positioned at the wrong end of his torso.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It is regrettable that Mr Blair's head continues to be positioned at the wrong end of his torso.
So succinct. Now I'll clean the coffee off of my monitor!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

More on Tony Blair's memoirs. The emphasis is on Diana but his dealings with HM following the death of Diana are mentioned.

TONY BLAIR'S MEMOIRS: Did he really warn Diana about Dodi? | Mail Online

excerpts

[Diana's] death, he says, was ' menacing' for the Royal Family. The Queen was reluctant to speak to the nation because she 'didn't want to pretend to a view of Diana that was more conflicted than the public would accept'. But he criticised the old-fashioned way the Palace operated and the fact that the tragedy not even mentioned in the church service the Royals attended the same day. He blamed this failing on the fact there 'would have been no Alastairs (Campbell, the Downing Street spin doctor) in the entourage' warning the Queen that forcing William and Harry to go to church looked 'incredibly, almost blatantly, insensitive'.

Revealingly, he says he had a 'problem' with the Queen during the Diana crisis because 'there was no easy point of connection in age, or outlook, or experience'. 'I didn't trust myself fully to go straight to her and be as blunt as I needed to be - so I went to Charles.'

Even this grandstanding over his role in saving the Royal Family at their most perilous hour is at odds with what actually happened. He relates how after their return from Balmoral - at his urging - 'the Queen, Charles and the boys visited the front of Buckingham Palace'. In fact, the Prince of Wales took his sons to Kensington Palace which was the main focus of the public grief while the Queen and Prince Philip met crowds in the Mall outside Buckingham Palace.

If the reaction to Diana's death was to set the style for Mr Blair's folksy approach to government, it was also to define his relationship with the Royals. The Queen, of course, would never reveal what she felt about Mr Blair any more than what she thought of any of her other 12 prime ministers. It was said, for example, that the Queen felt warmly of Harold Wilson, but this was the view given by Wilson himself. James Callaghan observed that the Queen offered 'friendliness not friendship'.

After Diana's funeral, Mr Blair and the Queen met at Balmoral, and he admits he 'talked perhaps less sensitively than I should have about the need to learn lessons', and 'at points during the conversation she assumed a certain hauteur'. The visit had not been easy. He found Balmoral 'utterly freaky' and he needed a drink to survive the visit. 'Had it been a dry event, had the Queen been a teetotaller or a temperance fanatic, I don't believe I could have got through the weekend.'

Recalling their first meeting at the castle, he glibly says: 'I was shown up to see the Queen in the drawing room, which was exactly as Queen Victoria had left it. I was just about to sit down in a rather inviting-looking chair when a strangled cry from the footman and a set of queenly eyebrows raised in horror made me desist. It was explained that it had been Victoria's chair and that since her day no one had ever sat in it.'

Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh well, its not the first half-truth to have come from the Blairs!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Peter Morgan accuses Tony Blair of plagiarising lines from his film The Queen - Telegraph

Tony Blair's account of what was said when he went to kiss hands with the Queen in 1997 is perhaps the most controversial part of his memoirs because it represents such a flagrant betrayal of the trust that had previously existed between the monarch and her prime minister.

Now, in an intriguing twist to the affair, Peter Morgan, the screenwriter, tells me that he suspects the former prime minister took the line not from his actual conversation with the Queen, but his Oscar- winning film about her which starred Helen Mirren.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

When the Queen told Churchill: Stop making me sit through these dreadful films | Mail Online

Quote:
For nearly 50 years the Queen has graced the red carpet at Royal Film Performances.

But newly discovered documents show that in the early years of her reign she found the movies so dreadful she complained to then Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill during an audience at Buckingham Palace.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 AM

Is there anyone have direct e-mail address to the British Royal Family?
Thank you for the help!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulizah View Post
Is there anyone have direct e-mail address to the British Royal Family?
Thank you for the help!

There is a 'contact us' link on the British Monarchy website. Welcome to the official website of the British Monarchy This will tell where to write, or the number to ring to contact their offices. Sometimes a written piece will garner a personal reply from the relevant royal but usually it is a form letter from one of the staff.

However there isn't a generally known email address and if anyone here did have the personal email address of a member of the family they wouldn't give it out. Like anyone else the members of the family protect o whom they give their email address and that isn't the general public.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Why not try the Facebook pages of the British Monarchy ?

The British Monarchy | Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Could we expand the thread to have not only Prime Ministers, but also the First Minister of Scotland, and the two equivalents in Wales and Northern Ireland, please?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and her First Minister of Scotland

At the Opening of the Scottish Parliament on July 1st, 2011, Alex Salmond told the Queen that an independent Scotland will want to retain the Queen as monarch....

Alex Salmond: we'll keep the Queen while England becomes a republic | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Tags
british commonwealth, british government, elizabeth ii, margaret thatcher, prime ministers, queen elizabeth ii, tony blair, winston churchill