The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Tony Blair

Queen invites Mervyn King, Bank of England Governor, to palace - Times Online

a quote from the article:

The only insight into what goes on at audiences with the Queen has come from politicians who have mentioned them in their memoirs or interviews.
Tony Blair has spoken of how he valued using the Queen as a sounding board.
The former Prime Minister said: “She is about the only person that you can tell something to in complete confidence and know that confidence will never be broken.”

Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

It does raise the point that Queen Elizabeth holds a unique position politically and Tony Blair is not ashamed to say he used it. He could discuss absolutely anything political with her and valued her as a sounding board. I wonder how many other Prime Minister's had/have the same nous?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen and Tony Blair made a pact not to watch the Oscar-winning film The Queen, actor Michael Sheen claimed as he collected an OBE today.

The star, who played the former Prime Minister in the 2006 movie, said the pair came to an 'agreement' not to watch it

Did the Queen and Tony Blair make a secret pact NOT to watch Helen Mirren's portrayal of the monarch? | Mail Online
Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Michael Shea, press secretary to the Queen from 1978 to 1987 has died. The Times online obituary has a focus on the time he inadvertently or otherwise revealed the Queen's attitude to the policies of Margaret Thatcher.

Extracts...

Shea was the courtier who, in July 1986, was at the centre of the political storm that broke after The Sunday Times, quoting a senior, but unnamed, Palace source, published a front-page story claiming that the Queen was at odds with the policies of her Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, over her handling of the miners’ strike, the US raid on Libya and the dispute within the Commonwealth over Britain’s anti-sanctions stance towards South Africa. After seven days of denials about the validity of the story, the Queen’s private secretary, Sir William Heseltine, chose the letters page of The Times to confirm that Shea was the “Buckingham Palace mole” but he emphasised that the press secretary had said nothing that could reasonably bear the interpretation put upon it by the writers of the article.

The Sunday Times piece, published on July 20, came amid rumours of tension between the Prime Minister and the Commonwealth over the sanctions issue; between Thatcher and the Foreign Secretary, Sir Geoffrey Howe, on the same subject; and between the Queen’s role as Sovereign of the United Kingdom and as head of the Commonwealth.

It fell to The Sunday Times to announce a fundamental disagreement between the monarch and her prime minister, and the newspaper, under the bylines of its respected political editor, Michael Jones, and another journalist, Simon Freeman, exclusively revealed the Queen’s dismay over Thatcher’s policies. The newspaper claimed to have irrefutable evidence that the Queen considered Thatcher’s whole approach to be “uncaring, confrontational and socially divisive”.

The report, it was said, was based on several briefings by royal advisers (the use of the plural was to protect the informant) who were fully aware that the information would be published and were in no doubt about its likely political repercussions.

The Queen, it was claimed, believed that the Government should be more caring towards the less privileged; that she had feared, during the 1984 miners’ strike, that serious long-term damage was being done to the social fabric of the nation; that she had had doubts about the Prime Minister’s decision to allow the Americans to use British air bases for a raid on Libya in April 1986; and that she was concerned that the whole direction of government policy threatened to undermine “the consensus in British politics which she thinks has served the country well since the Second World War”.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Sir William Heseltine, chose the letters page of The Times to confirm that Shea was the “Buckingham Palace mole” but he emphasised that the press secretary had said nothing that could reasonably bear the interpretation put upon it by the writers of the article..
So no matter how much they might wriggle, most of it appears to have been in the authors imagination/agenda
Old 07-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Courtier

Who was her favorite? Churchill? Who was her lest favorite? Thatcher?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post

May I ask what is your evidence for this statement?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Thankfully we will [I sincerely hope] never know the answer to that one.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Why so you ask?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
May I ask what is your evidence for this statement?
I think Agogo is merely speculating, hence the question marks. As previously pointed out, we will never know the truth, so all we can do is speculate.

I suspect Tony Blair was pretty unpopular with HM, whilst I think HM respected Mrs Thatcher.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

I suspect Tony Blair was pretty unpopular with HM, whilst I think HM respected Mrs Thatcher.
I'd like to think she respects all of them regardless of her own views.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't think Tony was that unpopular at the start of his PM job, maybe at the end.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness

I hear that the Queen did not like Margaret Thatcter but I can not remember why. I think her favor was Winston Churchill.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wonder how She gets on with Mr Cameron
Old 07-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Don't forget there are two PM's atm.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Don't forget there are two PM's atm.

There are not two PMs. There is one PM - Cameron - and a higher than normal Deputy PM - Clegg.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well that's still two main people making decisions for my country. They both have to meet the Queen every week.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well that's still two main people making decisions for my country. They both have to meet the Queen every week.

Your country had a Deputy PM under PM Brown etc.

Do they both have to meet the Queen every week? What would happen if the deputy gave her contrary advice to the PM when she is constitutionally bound to take the advice of the PM? She might see them both but she certainly wouldn't have to.

I know that Britain isn't used to a coalition but here in Australia it is normal when we don't have a Labor government and the Deputy (who always comes from the National Party) doesn't meet with the GG every week unless the PM is overseas for the simple reason that at times the views of the two parties are different. They work it out before the PM goes to the GG and thus the GG is only getting the advice of the PM so that they are not put in a constitutional problem.

I would highly doubt if the Queen has to see both Cameron and Clegg each week unless she sees them together as only the PM is truly able to advise the monarch and that is Cameron.

As I said she may choose to do so out of courtesy to Clegg but if push comes to shove she can't take his advice over Cameron's as Cameron is the PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

According to the Court Circular, the Queen has had two audiences with Nick Clegg (May 13th and June 9th). The first was the day he was appointed, and the second was before a Privy Council meeting. She's had three audiences with David Cameron in that time period (May 19th, June 2nd, and June 23rd), in addition to the day he was appointed PM and his being present on the day the rest of the cabinet was sworn in.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

The Queen is not amused by Tony Blair's indiscretions - Telegraph

If anyone was more dismayed than Gordon Brown by Tony Blair's shameless volume of memoirs, it was the Queen. Senior courtiers tell Mandrake that there is a "profound sense of disappointment" in him at Buckingham Palace for betraying Her Majesty's trust by revealing sensitive details of private conversations he had with her when he was the prime minister.

Tags
british commonwealth, british government, elizabeth ii, margaret thatcher, prime ministers, queen elizabeth ii, tony blair, winston churchill