The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 AM
Aristocracy

Thatcher and the Queen

It is my understanding that the Queen expressed concern over Ms. Thatcher's views and the Commonwealth. This may have helped to focus some thought on Ms. Thatcher's racial policies and helped to turn her out.

Old 09-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Aristocracy

I think you are correct about the tensions regarding the Commonwealth. However it also extended to other things that happened where the Queen must have felt she wasn't given the formal courtesy of notification of events. For instance, during the invasion of Grenada when Mrs. T. was notified of the American intentions to invade by the Reagan White House but told the Queen nothing of it until it was well underway. As the Queen is the head of state with a governor general on that island, she was probably taken aback to read about it the next day in The Times along with the rest of the country.

Old 09-01-2004, 03:58 PM

"The weekly meetings between the Queen and Mrs Thacher - both of the
same age - are dreaded by at least one of them," wrote Anthony Sampson, who had good Palace contacts, in a book published in 1982.

Ben Pimlott: The Queen: A biography of Elizabeth II, page 460.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
I think you are correct about the tensions regarding the Commonwealth. However it also extended to other things that happened where the Queen must have felt she wasn't given the formal courtesy of notification of events. For instance, during the invasion of Grenada when Mrs. T. was notified of the American intentions to invade by the Reagan White House but told the Queen nothing of it until it was well underway. As the Queen is the head of state with a governor general on that island, she was probably taken aback to read about it the next day in The Times along with the rest of the country.
I guess The Queen, being Queen of Grenada has the right to know such things.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:38 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder if the Queen didn't have the last laugh since there's a good chance she heard ahead of Lady Thatcher that her son Sir Mark had been arrested in South Africa for allegedly funding a coup plot in another African country (Equatorial Guinea). Lady T. was traveling in the States at the time of the arrest, her daughter Carol said she didn't know if her mother was even aware of what was going on. Now in the past day, Lady T. has had to post a huge amount of bail for her son in Cape Town. The wife (she's Texan) has left S.A. for the States in a big hurry. My impression of what interests the Queen is that this is the type of bizarre story she follows rather closely, especially given the cast of characters. Back when Mrs. T. was in power, Mark was giving her similar headaches, once getting lost in the Morroccan desert while race car driving.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Courtier

I think Blair hasn't respect for The Queen, even if once he said to be a monarchist. It's true that he supported great celebrations for the Jubilee, but he did it only to save appearances.
I really dislike him. He acts against the Queen, he wants to join Euro (I'm Italian, but I think Euro it's not good for Britain), he abolished the Lord High Chancellor - the most ancient role of England, he's poorly reforming the house of lords (but I don't know if he first had the idea, or somene before him had), he wants to end fox hunting (I don't like hunting in general, but fox hunting is a simbol of Britain). And he's been taking bad international decisions.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:57 AM
Serene Highness

They're going to want to move into Buckingham Palace soon!!

Blairs demanded press treat their children 'like William and Harry'
By Melissa Kite, Deputy Political Editor
(Filed: 03/10/2004)

Tony and Cherie Blair demanded that their children be given the same protection from the press as Princes William and Harry, according to the former director of the Press Complaints Commission

The Prime Minister and his wife summoned Guy Black, who is now Michael Howard's director of communications, to Downing Street to ask that Euan, 20, Nicky, 18, and Kathryn, 16, be "completely removed from the media spotlight".

Guy Black, former director of the Press Complaints Commission

The request has been revealed by Mr Black in an interview for a forthcoming book about the Blairs' inner circle, The Blairs and Their Court, by Francis Beckett and David Hencke.

The book describes how Mr Black was summoned to the Prime Minister's private flat at No 11 in March 2003 and shown into a room with Mr and Mrs Blair, their friend Carole Caplin and Fiona Millar, Alastair Campbell's girlfriend, who was then Mrs Blair's assistant.

Mr Black says in the book that Mrs Blair "looked like a volcano that was about to erupt". Mr Blair told him: "I would like to have a similar agreement which has been reached between the press and the Royal Family over the coverage of William and Harry." Mr Black says he replied: "I'm afraid we can't do this, Prime Minister. Your children are not going to be public figures in their own right. William and Harry are heirs to the throne.

"We are certainly willing to take up any complaint about the breach of their privacy, but we cannot give an undertaking to do that."

He continues: "Blair frowned. Cherie looked furious. The Prime Minister was interrupted by a telephone call from the Russian leader, Vladimir Putin. As he left, Cherie exploded."

Mr Black says Mrs Blair then raised another element of recent press coverage. She asked him to take action against the Daily Mail because it had claimed she bought a cheap bottle of wine for her husband's birthday when, in fact, she had purchased an expensive one.

"What are you going to do about it?" she asked. Mr Black replied that she should take any complaint to the Daily Mail's editor. The PCC did intervene on the Blairs' behalf earlier this year with a direction to editors not to report a private family problem that is an open secret at Westminster.

The Blair children have made many appearances in the press, some unfavourable, including Euan's drunk and incapable escapade in Leicester Square in 2000.

Mr and Mrs Blair have not always hidden their children from public sight. The family are pictured together every year on the Blair's official Christmas card, and Mr Blair has referred to his children when making policy.

He set a "Euan test" in his efforts to make the Millennium Dome interesting. After the birth of Leo, his youngest son, Mr Blair posed for pictures in Downing Street, clutching a mug imprinted with the image of his other children.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

No offence to the Blair's children -- whom I couldn't even name except for baby Leo until reading this article -- but they are no William or Harry, no matter how good looking they may be or who their parents are.

If Princess Michael, who is married to the Queen's cousin, can't get her children the same protection (or attention) as William and Harry receive, then who are the Blair children in the grand scheme of thiings?

Thanks for the article Wymanda.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Aristocracy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianpo...314065,00.html

Old 10-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

i agree with wymanda!

i really like her articles what're talking about it! but Prince William is second to the throne and Prince Harry is thrid to the throne what wymanda says.

before Princess Diana's death Prime Minister's children visit Prince William and Harry at Diana's house in Kensington Palace i read Diana's books or on articles by the computer but Diana like to share with her boys with PM's sons with Future King of England and Prince Harry that really interest of Princess Diana oh boy for me!

Sara Boyce
Old 10-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe Blair is overreacting but i can also see his point of view...it must not be easy to grow up with Blair as your father...I recently heard that Kathryn tried to commit suicide earlier this year because of the pressure...
Old 10-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

If Tony Blair wants his children to be private, he should take the lead and keep their doing private himself. Once he starts using their images in ways he thinks is favourable to him, he's lost the moral high ground when the press also starts in on them.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martine
Maybe Blair is overreacting but i can also see his point of view...it must not be easy to grow up with Blair as your father...I recently heard that Kathryn tried to commit suicide earlier this year because of the pressure...
That is really sad to hear.

It's unfortunate that initially her parents (particularly her father) used her and her siblings for political gain and now that the attention and interest from the media is building on them and obviously putting some pressure on them, her parents are trying to get the media to back off -- when it was clearly them who their children in the position in the first place.

I really don't have any respect for parents who put their children in the spotlight to get them attention, whether it is for political reasons or otherwise. If parents are running for public office or building a career in entertainment, that is a choice they've made as adults. There is no need to put their children in the spotlight, too. Children who are too young to know better or who have not made the decision for such media attention.

As in the case of Kathryn, obviously the experience has been an excrutiating one for her that would compel her to take such a desperate and drastic action.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Nobility

Talking Blair should have better protection

Blair and his family should get equal, if not better protection, as the royal family. The fact is that the prime minister is far more vital to daily affairs and is a much larger target than a queen who has no power and her teenage grandchildren who have no power. Blair's well-being is much more important to the daily lives of the British people than the Royal Family, who are simply ceremonial in nature, and, while I certainly understand they deserve protection, it's much more pragmatic to protect the prime minister and his family than to protect people who have really nothing to do with the affairs of the British government.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Do you have reason to believe that Tony Blair and his family don't get such protection? The point we're discussing at the moment is intrusion by the press rather than physical safety; Blair seems to have used his children as publicity tools when it suited him and then complained when the press started negative as well as positive reporting. He should have realised that that sort of stuff was going to backfire, with the example of Princess Diana right there to learn from.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Aristocracy

I certainly don't think anyone deserves to have their child commit suicide just because the pressures of having a parent in public office become overwhelming. That's taking one's dislike of someone way too far. In any event, he's headed straight for a third term and that's the bottom line. Personally I was shocked that the Labour Party conference didn't reprimand or take him more to task over Iraq and WMD etc. People are terrified and not using their senses -- same reason that Howard is leading in Oz upcoming poll, same reason that Bush is leading in the U.S. upcoming poll.

Actually, as far as his relationship with the Queen, he keeps it correct on the surface but there are things in his second term that were needless like the abolishing of the Lord Chancellor's office. The Queen liked PM's like Churchill, Wilson and Callaghan better than Mrs. T. whom she is said to have never understood. As to Blair, who knows what her perceptions are because those never become entirely clear until years after the PM concerned has left office.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Serene Highness

From what I've heard Blair has zero to no chance of a third term. Freinds & relatives of mine who live in Labor orientated areas have said that the tide has really turned against him. In fact, the main comment I hear about Blair is that he should stop trying to be "King of the World" and deal with the problems at home.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Nobility

First of all, I was under the misapprehension that we were talking about physical protection, so, stupid me. As for the whole Labour thing, I really don't think there's a feasible opposition to Blair. The Conservatives, under Howard, have become more liberal even than Mr. Blair and have lost much of their base. Aside from that, they really have no strength of personality or charisma, which Mr. Blair has much of. Let's face it, Howard is John Major post-dated 10 years. As for the Liberal-Democrats, there is no chance whatsoever of Charles Kennedy getting any vote of confidence. He's got about the chance of my cat of being elected Prime Minister. So, really, in the absence of any real successor, Mr. Blair will likely prevail.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
First of all, I was under the misapprehension that we were talking about physical protection, so, stupid me.
No problem. Sorry for being rather sharp; I'm battling a brutal cold and am rather sleep-deprived and short-tempered at the moment.

<mod hat on>General observation: Before this conversation wanders too far off topic into purely political areas, could we maybe bring it back to the subject of the relationship between HM and the PM? Thanks.</mod>
Old 10-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Aristocracy

grecka, while I agree with you that there's no feasible alternative to Blair, I don't think you can call Howard more "liberal" than Blair. How so? In fact it was the Tory vote that Blair depended on for the most part to go into Iraq. I don't think HOward truly regrets that. If he was PM tomorrow he'd be a bigger running dog to Bush than Blair's ever managed to be not only about Iraq and terrorism but every single other international issue. I was all for Blair before and when he came into office, now like many I feel he is the worst thing possible and has totally betrayed the country and the values I falsely assumed he might stand for. But, the party machine is his and he knows how to manipulate it. What does the Queen think? Well, she can't voice opinions contrary to government policy.

Tags
british commonwealth, british government, elizabeth ii, margaret thatcher, prime ministers, queen elizabeth ii, tony blair, winston churchill