The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
Governor General Michaelle Jean watches as the Newfoundland and Labrador flag is carried following a ceremony marking the 90th anniversary of the Battles of the Somme and Beaumont-Hamel at the national war monument in Ottawa Saturday, July 1, 2006. (AP Photo/CP/Polfoto, Jonathan Hayward)
she is so lovely. thanks for the pics!

Old 07-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

I really like this GG. She is always smiling and takes time to meet with ordinary Canadians . Like in the pics posted during Canada Day celebrations in Ottawa yesterday. She really seems to enjoy her job and takes it very seriously. I hope all Canadians here at the Royal Forums had a safe and Happy Canada Day,

Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Nobility

The Governor General's Fashions

Canada's National Newspaper "The Globe and Mail" on Saturday had a special feature including photographs and an article on the the Fashionable Governor General.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

MICHAELLE JEAN RECEIVES A ROOFTOP WELCOME IN ALGERIA

Governor General Michaelle Jean enjoyed a unique welcome to Algeria at the weekend when she was greeted by a host of young girls cheerfully singing from the rooftops in an ancient kasbah. It was just one of many moving moments that have touched the Canadian premier since she arrived in Africa for a three-week official state visit.

"At last I've made it to Africa," she said, "I have been waiting for this moment my entire life." Hello

Michaelle Jean looks up to find a chorus of young girls welcoming her to Algeria from the rooftops of an ancient kasbah. Photo: © Canadian Press
Photo

The red carpet was rolled out for Canada's Governor General as she arrived in the African state. Photo: © Canadian Press
Photo

She was greeted by a brass band playing the Candadian national anthem. Photo: © Canadian Press
Photo

The former TV journalist attracted hordes of curious schoolchildren as she participated in a walkabout in the city. Photo: © Canadian Press
Photo

The Governor General stops to wave to onlookers outside a mosque after finishing a tour of a kasbah. Photo: © Canadian Press
Photo

The Canadian premier admires the Roman ruins of Tipaza on Tuesday. Photo: © Canadian Press
Photo
Old 11-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Jean becomes Algerian media darling despite side-stepping political questions

TIPAZA, Algeria (CP) — Even the old men loitering in front of the small-town tobacco shops said they were aware of Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean’s visit.

She was kind of hard to miss — even without the flashy motorcade that had the men staring from the sidewalks.

Jean was featured on Algerian TV for three straight days, and in the newspapers, and on the radio. When she offered standard diplomatic niceties like, “Algeria can be a beacon,” they became front-page headlines.

“We know she’s not a head of state with a lot of power,” said Rachid, a print journalist who did not want to be quoted by his full name.

“But she is a head of state from Canada. We’ve been waiting for such a visit for a long time.

“Go find me one person — just one person — who doesn’t like Canada.”

It was a common refrain from numerous Algerians who pointed out Canada’s unique position as a nation with wealth, with French as an official language, and without the colonial baggage of France and many other prosperous countries. Canada.com

Pictures:
  • Canadian Governor-General Michaelle Jean with Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika during an arrival ceremony for her in Algiers, Algeria, Sunday Nov. 19, 2006. Photo
  • Governor General of Canada Michaelle Jean, right, stops to chat with two children sitting outside their home in the narrow streets of the Casbah as she tours the old part of the city of Algiers, during the first part of her state visit to Africa. Photo
  • Michaelle Jean, left, shares a laugh with a man as she tours the Casbah in the old part of the city of Algiers. Photo
  • Michaelle Jean listens to a guide at the Roman Ruins of Tipaza in Algeria. Tuesday Nov. 21, 2006. Photo
  • Michaelle Jean pauses for a moment during a tour of the Roman Ruins of Tipaza in Algeria. Photo
  • Framed by a Revolutionary Guard Michaelle Jean, left, and President of Algeria Abdelaziz Bouteflika arrive for a luncheon meeting at the People's Palace of Algeria after they held bilateral talks in Algiers, Algeria, Monday, Nov. 20, 2006. Photo
  • Michaelle Jean signs a book at a memorial at the National Algerian Revolution Museum in Algiers, Algeria, Monday, Nov. 20, 2006. Photo
  • Michaelle Jean, right, shakes hands with the President of Algeria Abdelaziz Bouteflika before they hold bilateral talks in Algiers, Algeria, Monday, Nov. 20, 2006. Photo
  • Michaelle Jean walks past a Canadian tombstone in the Dely-Ibrahim Commonwealth Cemetery in Algiers, Algeria, Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2006, before departing for Mali as part of her state visit to Africa. Photo

Gov. Gen. speaks of bitter legacy of colonialism in Africa

ALGIERS, Algeria -- Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean used her African visit Monday to draw attention to the tragic legacy of European colonialism on this continent.

At a state luncheon given by Algeria's president, Jean spoke of her deeply personal attachment to Africa as a black Haitian-born descendent of slaves. It was the prelude to a sombre pilgrimage Jean plans to make next week in Ghana, where she will take a symbolic step through the infamous Door of No Return.

Thousands of Africans passed through that gated archway as they were whisked from a seaside fortress onto slave ships that carried them to their fate in the Americas.

"My ancestors were torn from their lives," Jean told a diplomatic audience in a speech Monday in Algiers. Canada.com
Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

May 2008 - State Visit to France

Governor General of Canada, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaelle Jean and her spouse, His Excellency Jean-Daniel Lafond pose at their residence, at Rideau Hall, prior to their trip to France on 29 April, 2008 in Ottawa, Ontario.
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5
Photo 6

France's Prime Minister Francois Fillon (R) receives Governor General Michaelle Jean in the courtyard of the Hotel Matignon in Paris May 6, 2008.
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Michaelle Jean is welcomed by French President Nicolas Sarkozy at the Elysee Palace on May 7, 2008 in Paris. Mrs Jean, during her five-day visit to France, will attend the ceremonies commemorating the 63rd anniversary of the Allied victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5
Photo 6

France salutes the 'almost Queen of Canada'

PARIS -- In her first state visit to France, Governor-General MichaŽlle Jean has been extolled in the media as the "almost Queen of Canada" and a symbol of successful multiculturalism - and all in this decidedly anti-monarchist country where immigration is widely seen as a problem.

"I perceive my role as a kind of catalyst," she said in an interview yesterday. "And I find myself in that role here."

Ms. Jean met with French President Nicolas Sarkozy and is scheduled to join him again today in Normandy for memorial services marking the anniversary of the Second World War armistice in Europe. They are also to visit a Canadian military cemetery.
globeandmail.com: France salutes the 'almost Queen of Canada'

Governor General speaks out against racism

. . . Jean has received better press than Sarkozy in recent days. Le Monde's weekend magazine designated her "La presque reine du Canada" - Canada's almost Queen.

Canada and the world were offered "the enlightened face of humanity, intelligence and beauty" when Jean was named to the Governor General post in 2005, the magazine said.

She was also expected to be profiled Wednesday evening in a televised documentary.
Governor General speaks out against racism
Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Nobility

A toast.

On this, the Queen of Canada's official birthday.

To Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith. Long may she reign over us!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Courtier

HM's Official Birthday in Australia is next month. I know that HM wanted to retain the date on which her father's birthday was celebrated (though his was actually in December), and that June is retained, here, in deference to her wishes.

I wonder why such different dates are adhered to throughout the Commonwealth? Personally, I'd be happier if everyone conformed to April 21st.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Moderator Emeritus

There are different customs and needs throughout the Commonwealth. In Canada, making April 21st the Queen's official birthday would, if it were to remain a holiday, add a holiday to the calendar, because Victoria Day isn't going away. It's place in society is pretty well entrenched (though, unfortunately, not as a commemoration of the Queen and her predecessor).

Wouldn't an April 21st birthday cause too many holidays in a short span of time in Australia? Anzac day is 4 days later. Sometimes Easter is around then as well, and two states have labour day on May 1st.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Courtier

True enough. However, despite April 25th's being a non-moveable feast as it were, I tend to think that the Head of State's birthday is just that.

April 25th is implacably delineated in New Zealand, too, and that country celebrates HM's birthday on the first Monday in June (am I correct here?). Most of Australia celebrates it on the second Monday in June, with Western Australia opting for September/October. The UK's acknowledgement is in June, highlighted by the Trooping of the Colour and Canada's is, apparently, in May. I'm not sure about other Commonwealth nations.

As the birthday is actually April 21st, for the sake of cohesion in these challenging and uncertain times, I simply plump for every nation adopting the same day.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Aristocracy

I kind of want to see Canada cut off from the British monarchy. But other than that, I don't see the UK becoming a republic or any other serious change in the system. The British people will accept Charles as their King, and then when the time comes, William. As to how their reigns will go, who knows?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Majesty

Why? We're politically independent. The Queen is Canada's Queen when she's here, not a representative of the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaiya View Post
I kind of want to see Canada cut off from the British monarchy. But other than that, I don't see the UK becoming a republic or any other serious change in the system. The British people will accept Charles as their King, and then when the time comes, William. As to how their reigns will go, who knows?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 AM
Aristocracy

I'll give you a quote from Globe and Mail's editor and columnist, Margaret Wente.

"The truth is that the monarchy stands for much that has held Canada back. It embodies the triumph of inheritance over merit, of blood over brains, of mindless ritual over innovation. The monarchy reminds us to defer to authority and remember our place. In Quebec, the Royals are regarded as an insult."

Canada is so multi-cultural and very into equality, and the Queen does not represent our values which are distinct from Britain's. We alienate Quebec with having the Queen as head of state and having her image on our currency. There have been so many who have actually had a great impact on Canada who should be on our currency instead. The Queen has not done anything here except come on infrequent visits. Also, many Canadians are unaware that she is our head of state. They see her as a British lady who comes to visit every decade or so, it would be better to have a Canadian head of state with whom we can relate better to. I understand that she does not meddle in our politics and I have great respect for her, but the very role that she has is unacceptable to me and many other Canadians, especially Quebecers.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Canada is so multi-cultural and very into equality, and the Queen does not represent our values which are distinct from Britain's.
Whata re the areas that you think "Canadian values" are different from British ones?

Quote:
Also, many Canadians are unaware that she is our head of state.
I had not realised that the educational system in Canada left so much to be desired. Perhaps education is an issue that you should be raising in your next election for PM!

Quote:
I understand that she does not meddle in our politics and I have great respect for her, but the very role that she has is unacceptable to me and many other Canadians, especially Quebecers.
I appreciate your republican sentiments, but clearly your thoughts are not shared by the vast majority of your fellow Canadian subjects who continue to support the monarchy.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Whata re the areas that you think "Canadian values" are different from British ones?
Any sort of inherited political (even symbolic) position goes against our value of egalitarianism. British values may be more favourable toward peerage and aristocracy.

Quote:
I had not realised that the educational system in Canada left so much to be desired. Perhaps education is an issue that you should be raising in your next election for PM!
That is because the Queen does absolutely nothing in Canada. Obviously she cannot be here all the time, so we have a governor general who represents her. If the Queen had a more active role in Canada and was here all the time (which she can't because she's a British monarch first) then the people might be more familiar with what her role actually is. And our education system is actually one of the best in the world, and many international students come here to study. I actually learned that the Queen was head of state in my civics class last year (which is a mandatory grade 10 class), so it's not a matter of education. It's a matter of impracticality, the Queen cannot be active in Canada, is irrelevant to Canada, why have her as head of state?

Quote:
I appreciate your republican sentiments, but clearly your thoughts are not shared by the vast majority of your fellow Canadian subjects who continue to support the monarchy.
The vast majority? No, not really, it's split pretty even. So yes, I still stand by my statement that many Canadians do share my sentiments.

I'm sorry for veering off topic anyway, we should be discussing what happens to the monarchy after Elizabeth II. And I see it continuing with Charles, though I'm not sure Canada will remain a constitutional monarchy with anyone other than Queen Elizabeth.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
And our education system is actually one of the best in the world, and many international students come here to study. I actually learned that the Queen was head of state in my civics class last year (which is a mandatory grade 10 class), so it's not a matter of education.
You may have a good education system, but it is very telling when somebody says they only found out who the head of their state was when they got to a grade 10 mandatory civics lesson. Perhaps a generalisation as to the failings of the Canadian education system may be a bit unfair, after all.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

Why would we need to know about the Queen in elementary or middle school? She does nothing in Canada, there's nothing to suggest that she is head of state. Perhaps in Britain they know because she actually does something there and the role of the monarch is etched onto them in history class. Her irrelevancy to Canada is one of my reasons I feel we should have a republican model.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And I see it continuing with Charles, though I'm not sure Canada will remain a constitutional monarchy with anyone other than Queen Elizabeth.
I'm Canadian (and Quebecer) and, personally, I think that Canada will remain a constitutional monarchy.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And I see it continuing with Charles, though I'm not sure Canada will remain a constitutional monarchy with anyone other than Queen Elizabeth.
If not for any other reason, I think it will continue for a good long while due to the near-impossibility of changing the constitution. Getting normal amendments through is hard enough (Meech Lake, etc.), let alone one that requires the consent of all ten provinces.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Majesty

It doesn't help when you have the Governor General refer to herself as "The Head of State" as Jeanne Sauve did/

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii