The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Royal Highness

Ok. Well you mods are always stressing the rules of sticking to royalty and not politics. Where in the rules does it state that if a majority of posters (but who said that most of them feel this way anyway) want a certain topic they can keep it. You mods are always stressing this rules. Yet I get criticized cuz I was trying to follow them. Mandy calls me a bully. You say I am misinformed. I guess I am cuz I just I did not realize that the Governor's General is a member of the British royal family.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

The forum isnt just about members of various royal families, it is also about related issues. In other forums too political discussions that are relevant to a certain royal house are discussed (the JRF forum for example). Same goes for the British forum. Queen Elizabeth, who is the head of the British royal house, also happens to be Queen of countries like Canada, Australia etc.
These countries have strong historic ties with the British crown. As such any discussion regarding the place of the Crown and the Queen in Canada is relevant, so is a discussion about her vice-regal representative. There was a thread in this forum about the Commonwealth a while back. That wasnt directly related to any member of the BRF either but I dont recall anyone complaining then.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
Ok. Well you mods are always stressing the rules of sticking to royalty and not politics. Where in the rules does it state that if a majority of posters (but who said that most of them feel this way anyway) want a certain topic they can keep it. You mods are always stressing this rules. Yet I get criticized cuz I was trying to follow them. Mandy calls me a bully. You say I am misinformed. I guess I am cuz I just I did not realize that the Governor's General is a member of the British royal family.
The institution of monarchy is part of the goverance structure of a country, which is political. Tnus you can't always divorce discussions regarding monarchy and politics.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by altagrace
Hello Princess Belly Flop!! (cute name)
Je suis sure qu'il y a d'autres francophones qui sont membres de ce forum. I am one of them!!
You're right- Great discussions! I was so glad when I discovered this site.

Happy posting!

Bienvenue - Welcome! You are new here with about a dozen posts. I'm sorry I forgot Francophones in the ROC. I saw that you are from Ontario. Easier for you to express your attachment for Canada then if you were like me in Quebec.... But I'm keeping the flame!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
Thank you. I did not mean to sound mean. It's just that they were talking about canadian stuff in the BRForums and outsiders don't get to talk about that in the other threads. The GG is indeed a special entity that you Canadians cherish. I have learned so much. (But I still can't figure you guys out ). I mean I know you all are human beings, but what goes on up there?
Are you really only from the United States? It seems rather ignorant that you know so little about your neighbours to the north. We are not talking about people from Mars. What kind of a comment is "I know you all are human beings, but what goes on up there?" When did Canadians become such exotic, foreign creatures?

If I were in your position I wouldn't have said anything about the validity of this thread and kept on reading so that I could at least learning something new about those "human beings up there."
Old 10-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Serene Highness

Princess BellyFlop and altagrace ...nice meeting you , im also a french-canadian...as a immigrant ( origninaly from morocco ) im glad that Paul Martin choose Michaelle Jean as a Governor general for Canada :)
Old 10-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Courtier

Good grief!
This morning I started reading the thread where I had left yesterday - about page 3. I was so happy that in this thread about the Governor General I have the very rare opportunity to exchange information and opinions with fellow Canadians from all over the country, in a very polite, very respectful and civilised manner - an even rarer opportunity for us Canadians.

I was surprised and shockly sad to read repeated attacks on the existence of this thread from a member who is not even directly concerned by this special event. This might be a «Canadian» event but it is directly related to the British Monarchy as the Governor General is our Queen representative and our head of state. This is a very big event for us that is bringing discussion in our society like probably no other nomination has ever had before as some are questionning not only their appartenance to our beautiful country and others the utility of that official function and whether or not we still need to be associated with our Majesty.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop
Good grief!
This morning I started reading the thread where I had left yesterday - about page 3. I was so happy that in this thread about the Governor General I have the very rare opportunity to exchange information and opinions with fellow Canadians from all over the country, in a very polite, very respectful and civilised manner - an even rarer opportunity for us Canadians.

I was surprised and shockly sad to read repeated attacks on the existence of this thread from a member who is not even directly concerned by this special event. This might be a «Canadian» event but it is directly related to the British Monarchy as the Governor General is our Queen representative and our head of state. This is a very big event for us that is bringing discussion in our society like probably no other nomination has ever had before as some are questionning not only their appartenance to our beautiful country and others the utility of that official function and whether or not we still need to be associated with our Majesty.
I agree Princess BellyFlop and share in your sentiments. I thought that this thread was very intelligent too and I enjoyed reading all the different opinons about this. Especialy from some members (maybe just one?) who is from Quebec and obviously has a different view or at least a different perspective about this nomination.

It's unfortunate that one person who is not directly affected by this new GG voiced such opposition to the existence of this thread. I am not saying that you need to be personally affected or even affected by a distance by an event to make a comment, but when members are not directly affected by an event or an individual they show more respect than what was shown here.

I think this thread has opened a wonderful dialogue amongst Canadian members of this forum. The discussion here is very intelligent and insightful and has not relegated to superflous fawning or drooling or anger and unjustified criticism. I think it's one of the most intelligent and mature threads here and I thank Mandy for keeping this thread open in the proper place. :)

I hope that the discussion will continue.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
If I were in your position I wouldn't have said anything about the validity of this thread and kept on reading so that I could at least learning something new about those "human beings up there."
Genevieve, I understand you and how you feel but we are Canadian and therefore we will not play that kind of game. It's hard, trust me I KNOW. We Canadians apparently have a world reputation as peace-keepers, let's keep that reputation. hihihi!
Old 10-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Courtier

And if we go back to our main beautiful subject: Madame Jean our Governor General.

I do not know how to call her. I surprised myself calling her Michaelle in conversation with friends. Must be because of her last television program that was called that way and her accessibility.

Here in the news we saw many new Canadians, many young Haitians, mentionning how important it is for them to see someone like her in this prestigious position and how she is a model of hope.

I also like the mission she chose for herself: no more solitudes. Big big agenda! Maybe we had enough of that «deux solitudes» (two solitudes) motto that describe us so sadly and we start doing something about trying to change it all together with Michaelle, oups Madame Jean.

Did my ROC friends hear about that mission of her and what do you think about it?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Courtier

I'm a white Canadian (families been here for generations) and from English Ontario (I live in Ottawa at the moment) and she is one of MY role models I have a picture of her on my desk for essay writing inspriation.

I liked the clothes she choose for the day, I think since most of the comments were Adrienne Clarkson was a great GG except for her spending. Good that she looked sensible. I have high hopes for her.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Question & it might sound stupid (the question ), but I really don't know that much about Canada's Politics & certain roles like the Governor General. I looked for some info on othe pages but I couldn't find a lot of info so I figured I'd ask you all.
What exactly is the Governor General's role? Is it largely ceremonial? How long is a person a Governor General for?

Old 10-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
Question & it might sound stupid (the question ), but I really don't know that much about Canada's Politics & certain roles like the Governor General. I looked for some info on othe pages but I couldn't find a lot of info so I figured I'd ask you all.
What exactly is the Governor General's role? Is it largely ceremonial? How long is a person a Governor General for?
The role of the Governor General is largely ceremonial and it is to represent the head of state, HM The Queen, in Canada and to represent the Queen of Canada and Canadians on the world stage. Although often a ceremonial role, the Governor General has a very cultural role as well. Sometimes the Governor General can be dragged into politics as the former Governor General was recently when the Government almost fell in May (during HM's visit to Saskatchewan and Alberta).

There is no fixed term for the Governor General but it is usually five years. Romeo LeBlanc's term lasted just over four years upon his retirement, and Adrienne Clarkson's term was extended by one year to six years, ending on Tuesday.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Courtier

The GG signs all bills into law, is the commander in chief of the armed forces, hosts state dinners, present honours and awards and hosts state dinners (almost the same job as the Queen)

It is all ceremonial and usually lasts for 6-8 years.

edited to add I was posting at the same time bweir
Old 10-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks bweir & Oppie. Another question....what is the difference then between the GG & PM? Isn't the PM also representing the head of state (the Queen)? Wouldn't the PM sign all bills into law, be the commander in chief of the armed forces, hosts state dinners, present honours and awards, etc.? Sorry for all the questions- just curious.....its so different & interesting (for us who don't have a GG).

Old 10-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Courtier

The GG is nominated by the PM. Of course our PM gets approval from our Majesty the Queen.

The GG, like the Queen, is apolitical, not involved in daily politics. Sometimes a very valuable person such as Madame Jean can be quiet down by her function as GG. We (well I) hope it will not be the case and that she will find a way to pass her message of unity and of reaching out to others.

The PM is the chief of government - not the chief of state. The G8, for example, reunites the chiefs of state (Bush for example) and chiefs of governments (Blair, Martin, for example) of the 8 countries blablabla.. If it was only the chiefs of state, then we would have Mr Bush and the Queen and our GG (+ the other 5 leaders of course). The Queen and the GG having to be apolitical, they would be allowed to only listen and smile, that's why Britain and Canada have their PM at those meetings. On important and highly symbolic events - such as remembering the 60th anniversary of the end of WW2 - sometimes both the GG and the PM assist to the event, the GG doing the symbolic work.

Like Tony Blair in Britain, our PM is the elected leader of our government. Bills will be initiated by him and his government but to have the force of law they have to be signed by the GG (like they have to be signed by the Queen in Britain). In our short history I think there was only one time where the GG refused to sign a bill presented by the government - they mentioned it on TV last week I believe it was about a minority government wanting to go to elections but I can't really recall for sure.

To have the force of law, a bill must be signed by the GG. A bill is first voted by the parliement (our elected representatives), then voted by the senate (our nominated representatives) then signed by the GG. The vote by the Senate and the signature by the GG are almost always automatic.

Like the Queen, the GG has weekly talks with the PM where they discuss internal and external affairs. In Britain the Queen is apparently a very well informed lady and privately shares her opinions and suggestions to her PM (she became Queen a year before or after Mr Blair was born); it is believe or anticipated that Michaelle Jean could bring to our actual PM a warmer and more human side.

That's about it.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Courtier

She is beautiful, intelligent, and will do Canada proud.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Courtier

(sorry if this has already been mentioned I don't think I read it)

We also don't have a set election date. Within five years the Prime Minister will ask the GG to dissolve Parliament and call an election. In theory if the Prime Minister didn't within five years then the GG would be able to.

Also the GG invites the winner of the election to form the government. If for some reason it was unclear who the winner is then it would be the GG job to sort it out.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for all the answers!
When the GG is nominated does he/she have to be approved by a committee or does he/she just take over?

Old 10-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Courtier

He/She is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister.

In reality the Prime Minister tells the Queen who he wants I don't think the Queen has ever said no and I don't know if she looks at the person (or a short list) herself.

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii