The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
without going too much into that, my point was regarding what our (Ontarians/easterners') perception is. And most of us see Alberta as the most conservative part of Canada (re: gay marriage etc)
Overall, BC is seen as far more liberal (not necessarily in the political sense)
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/inde...em/itemID/9103
We are more sociall liberal, but tend to vote conservative at the federal level because of the whole alienation thing. It's sad, really.

Old 10-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you. I did not mean to sound mean. It's just that they were talking about canadian stuff in the BRForums and outsiders don't get to talk about that in the other threads. The GG is indeed a special entity that you Canadians cherish. I have learned so much. (But I still can't figure you guys out ). I mean I know you all are human beings, but what goes on up there?

Old 10-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Majesty

I believe that this thread belongs in the British forum because the Governor General is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth's representave in Canada and we should not be bullied into moving it to Members' Corner by a few disgruntled individuals.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Royal Highness

Now come on. I was not bullying. I just made one statement and I was primarily joking around. ANyway, if you read the title for this thread, it says British Royals aka The British Royal Family. The GG is not a member of the British Royal Family so this thread does not belong here. Second, some poster are talking about politics. I did not even mention anythign about that (I think). I just think it is a bit unfair that this gets to be discussed in an obviously inappropo. place. It just isn't fair. For pete's sake read the rules (you guys' rules by the way)!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

i was looking for this thread in the members forum and couldnt find it
thought i was losing my mind:p
If it does bother some people then we'll stay away from politics and stick to the GG.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

It is not the politics that bothers me (it is really interesting to learn this stuff about canada cuz I woudl otherwise not care). It is just hta I come to the BRF thread and I see this. It is just so odd.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

It is not odd to those of us who have the Queen as their head of state.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

But you see that is it. Canadians have her as a head of state (as well as others) and you have a GG who is a representative and you guys get to talk about domestic politics! It doesn't bother me that you guys do, but it is just odd that this gets allowed in the BRF forum. Gosh with the thread on hurricane katrina and with posters being warned to not talk about politics and to come to this thread...that is a bit sketchy.

P.S. I am not looking for a fight so you canadians and all-powerful mods/admins have your fun whatever is decided. I was just expressing my thoughts.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop
Not that it would matter if she had been born out of wedlock but Marie-Eden was adopted by Michaelle a few yas ago. I recall a report in the magazine «Madame au foyer» showing the two of them, Marie-Eden was about 12-18 months, and Michaelle was explaining why she wanted to choose a little Haitian orphan and give her a chance in life. At the time, I didn't even knew or realized that Michaelle was probably in her early 40s, she looked so young.
Thanks for this bit of information Princess BellyFlop. I did not know that Marie-Eden was adopted. I don't know where I got the obviously wrong information that Marie-Eden is Michaelle Jean's biological daughter. Knowing this now, I admire Michaelle Jean even more for having made such a choice and having given another human a better life than she would've had otherwise.

I think she is the kind of woman the Queen would approve of as her representative to the Commonwealth. Michaelle Jean seems level-headed, grounded, practical, and determined about her new role. While I liked Adrienne Clarkson very much, and applauded her as the GG some years ago, I always felt a little bit that she was a bit too grand for the role and office at Rideau Hall. She seems more fitting to be the representative for a Queen such as Margrethe of Denmark who loves pomp and ceremony and likes a big party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop
It's fun to chat with other fellow Canadians on this thread. As probably the only Quebecer on this board, at least the only French-speaking one, I find it interesting that we can exhange in a civilised matter on topics that keep our politicians going and going in circles for decades. Also it's kind of hard to voice your attachment to Canada where I live... snif snif snif.
I appreciate this, too! I am a Torontonian/Ontarian and the rest of the country probably thinks that we feel the world does and should revolve around us! :p
Old 10-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

the only reason a political discussion was relevant in this case was because the new GG's appointment stirred up controversy at the beginning regarding her own alleged political beliefs in the past. Its a discussion that the Canadians on this board are well aware of and that is why we are discussing it.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
But you see that is it. Canadians have her as a head of state (as well as others) and you have a GG who is a representative and you guys get to talk about domestic politics! It doesn't bother me that you guys do, but it is just odd that this gets allowed in the BRF forum. Gosh with the thread on hurricane katrina and with posters being warned to not talk about politics and to come to this thread...that is a bit sketchy.

P.S. I am not looking for a fight so you canadians and all-powerful mods/admins have your fun whatever is decided. I was just expressing my thoughts.
But nobody has talked about the head of our government -- Paul Martin or the opposition leader Stephen Harper. The only mention of our Prime Minister has been to say that he is the one who chose our new GG. Nobody has brought up their views on how Paul Martin is running the country -- which would most certainly qualify as politics.

This particular GG is in a unique position as she has been outspoken at times about how she feels about the Quebec separatist situation, and as she now represents the Queen and the Queen is to be neutral in terms of politics, I think such a discussion is fair play. We now have a representative to the Queen who has a clear (though I guess becoming murkier by the minute to avoid controversy) opinon about a very important, essential identity issue in Canada, when she should really be neutral.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

Yep. In the British Royal Family Forum. I think I'll start a thread on Tony Blair. He is the Queen's representative of something isn't he.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

A governor general is not the same as a PM. A PM runs the government, the GG doesnt.
A PM represents a particular political party, the GG is beyond partisan politics.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I am a Torontonian/Ontarian and the rest of the country probably thinks that we feel the world does and should revolve around us! :p
thats exactly the impression Ive been getting from the latest discussion about the west and east. I do think thats quite an unfair perception though. Its not the way I feel & its certainly not the way most Ontarians view themselves.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Look again, I am not trying to start a fight. But how long do you guys plan to talk about this GG stuff-in the British Royal Family forum?? COme on this isn't hard. Posters on here try really hard to abide by the rules, but the GG has become an exception. This is too crass-no make that stupid, foolish, and stupid! Now please if you guys are going to continue this foolishness than just screw me and tell me to shut up. And if you want to erase my posts that refer to my feelings of where this thread is. But like I said b/f, it is great to learn all this about canada, but it is in a totally inappropo place. This isn't rocket science!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Yep. In the British Royal Family Forum. I think I'll start a thread on Tony Blair. He is the Queen's representative of something isn't he.
No. No he isn't.

Thanks to my fellow Canadians for such a lively and interesting discussion abour our Canadian Crown. It's been a great read. I am doing a piece for my Journalism class on the future of the Canadian monarchy and the relevancy of the commonwealth and I'm so relieved there are other people who actually know how the Crown operates in our country. Too bad I didn't find this topic sooner as I would have loved to discuss the subject, but you guys and gals have taken the words right out of my mouth. :)
Old 10-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Look again, I am not trying to start a fight. But how long do you guys plan to talk about this GG stuff-in the British Royal Family forum?? COme on this isn't hard. Posters on here try really hard to abide by the rules, but the GG has become an exception. This is too crass-no make that stupid, foolish, and stupid! Now please if you guys are going to continue this foolishness than just screw me and tell me to shut up. And if you want to erase my posts that refer to my feelings of where this thread is. But like I said b/f, it is great to learn all this about canada, but it is in a totally inappropo place. This isn't rocket science!
If you're not trying to start a fight, here's a simple suggestion. Don't click on "New Governor General For Canada." It's a pity you are making such a stink about such a relevant and timely topic.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I believe that Mandy has made herself perfectly clear in her above post about why this thread will be staying in this forum.

That's fine if you disagree with the Administrative decision that has been made, but it's no reason to call someone or the decision crass -- no make that stupid, foolish, and stupid.

Nobody is trying to screw you around. The decision is clear. Even though I do not normally advocate this, if you don't want to participate, or feel that this thread is inappropriate, then simply don't visit this thread. Those who are interested in discussing it can continue to do so without distracting side comments and judgements that are coming from an uninformed place or comments that are simply mocking.

Alexandria, as a fellow member, not as an Administrator
Old 10-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Royal Highness

I did not refer to a person as being crass, etc. I said this as in this situation. But you are not only a fellow member, an administrator, you are using your power as a moderator for your own convenience. ANd it isn't right.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I did not refer to a person as being crass, etc. I said this as in this situation. But you are not only a fellow member, an administrator, you are using your power as a moderator for your own convenience. ANd it isn't right.
No, that's not true at all. I made one decision -- to move the thread -- which Mandy disagreed with and she explained her reasoning to me and she over rode my original decision. I agree with her explanation and had not actually thought of things as she had.

So I am really in the same "predicament" as anyone else.

I frankly don't care where this thread actually is physically located within the forum. I do think however that the discussion is a relevant and important one and relates well within the confines of this forum. I am not the only member who feels this -- other members have stated their belief about the relevancy of this topic as well. Members who are not moderators and who are not using their power as a moderator for their own convenience.

So now we have a situation where it is only one member who disagrees and opposes with a decision that an Adminstrator has made while many others have (openly) supported it and see the legitimacy of such a topic.

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii