The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
New General Designate, Julie Payette, meeting The Queen at Balmoral-
https://mobile.twitter.com/thomasdai...74539095773184

What a treat! Getting a chance to visit The Queen at Balmoral and get a history lesson on the castle.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Canadian Governor General Designate Julie Payette was received by Queen Elizabeth for a private audience at Balmoral Castle today, September 20:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery ** gg.ca press release **

It appears that the GG Designate didn't curtsy to the Queen. Maybe she is not a committed monarchist (or royalist), which wouldn't surprise me frankly.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I could have sworn I saw a quick dip type of a curtsy as she approached HM with her hand extended for a handshake. It was a quick one but she did do it.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Watch the video. She does.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It appears that the GG Designate didn't curtsy to the Queen. Maybe she is not a committed monarchist (or royalist), which wouldn't surprise me frankly.
Aside from the fact that she did curtsy, why wouldn't you expect her to be "a committed monarchist"? She did accept the post of the Queen's representative in Canada.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
Aside from the fact that she did curtsy, why wouldn't you expect her to be "a committed monarchist"? She did accept the post of the Queen's representative in Canada.
Because nothing prevents the PM from nominating a republican for the office of GG. Michaëlle Jean was widely rumored to be a republican and some of her predecessors like Adrienne Clarkson were not committed royalists either.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Adrienne Clarkson has called herself a monarchist. She had a different attitude towards what her role was than some of her predecessors, but she is a monarchist.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...son-interview/
Old 09-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Twitter video of the audience in this article:
Incoming governor general Julie Payette meets the Queen - Politics - CBC News

I have one thing to say after watching that video, and it's that the Queen is just so damn cute sometimes.

Article from the fail (yes I know, but really worth a read/watch) It's about the library at Balmoral - one of the two rooms HM is using for audiences at the castle, but not the room she is using for british prime ministers:
Balmoral photo reveals the Queen's private space | Daily Mail Online
An article from the Telegraph - for those who don't read the fail:
All the comforts of one's home: Rare glimpse of Queen's life at Balmoral explained
Quote:
A photograph taken yesterday as Julie Payette, the governor general of Canada, was treated to a guided tour of the library at Balmoral Castle by the Queen, revealed a comfortable, homely style of decor that makes very few concessions to modern trends or ostentatious display.

Remarkably, some of the volumes are thought to have remained in the same place for 40 years, judging by a picture from the 1970s of the Queen and Prince Philip in the same room.
The Telegraph has numbered a photo of the library with descriptions below, the Fail has done the same - see it above in my quoted post from yesterday.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
In the early 1980s the then Australian PM appointed the renowned republican - Bill Hayden - to the post of GG. He had been advocating for Australia to become a republic since the dismissal of the Whitlam government in 1975.

Strangely - while holding the post Hayden actually became a monarchist but when appointed was a staunch republican.

Being a monarchist or a republican is irrelevant to holding the post of de facto Head of State.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Nobility

Can someone enlighten me on how Governor Generals are 'picked'? I understand the current one was asked to stay two more years; was that the prime minister's decision, the queen's or someone else's? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Can someone enlighten me on how Governor Generals are 'picked'? I understand the current one was asked to stay two more years; was that the prime minister's decision, the queen's or someone else's? Thanks in advance!
The selection is made by the queen but on recommendation of the serving PM. There is actually no set term for a GG, they simply serve at the pleasure of the queen. But in practice, it usually is 5 years. At times that has been extended.

https://lop.parl.ca/ParlInfo/pages/g...l.aspx?Menu=GG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...eral_of_Canada

David Johnston entered office in 2010. He should have left office in 2015. But it was an election year. He was asked to extend his service for two years, offering a stability if the election ended up in a minority (hung) government. This was a very valid concern as Canada had three minority governments in recent years, under Stephen Harper. The issue comes when minority governments have short tenures ( Harper's lasted 1, 2, and 3 years instead of the 4 year standard term). It ended up being not needed, as Trudeau won a majority election but the decision had already been made.

The choice is meant to be non partisan but in the past many have been former politicians.

-Julie was a electronic engineer and a former CSA astronaut who has done 2 missions to the international space station
-David Johnston was a law professor and president of McGill University. He did work in politics helping draft some bills
-Michelle Jean was a news reporter, radio broadcaster and documentary film maker with her husband
-Adrienne Clarkson was also a journalist. She too served a longer term, six.

Romeo LeBlanc interestingly was a former teacher and journalist who worked for Trudeau's father as his press secretary. Unlike those since him, he served in the government himself before he was GG.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Because nothing prevents the PM from nominating a republican for the office of GG. Michaëlle Jean was widely rumored to be a republican and some of her predecessors like Adrienne Clarkson were not committed royalists either.
That doesn't explain why you wouldn't be surprised if Mme Payette was not a monarchist. You refer to "rumours" of Jean and Clarkson's positions on the monarchy. In my view these rumours do not provide any justification for speculating about Mme. Payette's point of view.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That doesn't explain why you wouldn't be surprised if Mme Payette was not a monarchist. You refer to "rumours" of Jean and Clarkson's positions on the monarchy. In my view these rumours do not provide any justification for speculating about Mme. Payette's point of view.

There are reasons to wonder about Payette's support of the monarchy. I can't fault Mbruno for that.

Payette is a francophone from Quebec. That in and of itself is enough to question whether she supports the monarchy and whether she supports Quebec sovereignty.

I can't find any recent statistics, but polls in 2009 showed that 78% of people in Quebec believe the monarchy should be ended. As recently as 2011, 41% of people surveyed still supported Quebec sovereignty.

It is only natural to expect questions on both issues to come up when the GG designate is from Quebec (which is every other GG). Payette has not entirely helped herself on this issue by evading answering when she was asked if she supported the monarchy.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:06 AM

If the concern about her support for the monarchy is based solely on the fact that she is a francophone From Quebec, the assessment is unfair. She has taken a position that requires her to uphold the constitution so unless she has no personal ethics she us supporting the monarchy. Whether she has espoused different views in the past ( which has not been reported in theses posts) is moot.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Julie Payette installed as Canada's 29th Governor General:

Article:
Strength of teamwork, power of dreams: Gov. Gen. Julie Payette urges fight for common good - Politics - CBC News

Photo-gallery:
Julie Payette sworn in as Canada's 29th Governor General - Politics - CBC News

Video:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

The GG’s personal views are really irrelevant anyway. The Government of Canada’s position is monarchy. It the position of the opposition, in fact almost all federal politicians are publicly monarchists or at least neutral. Very few ever get in front of a camera and say off with the Queen’s head.

No PM is going to open this issue up unless they are clubbed over the head 100 times and even then it’s a non starter.

So unless there is a revolution and the people storm Parliament Hill and Rideau Hall, I don’t see the monarchy going anywhere. It’ll die on the vine before it’s ever abolished.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
Upon his appointment as Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia, The Queen today received The Hon. Arthur LeBlanc and Mrs LeBlanc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DM_gI75X...pg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DM_gI7_W...pg&name=medium

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii