The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

The Crown in Canada @TheCrownCa
Victoria Day, named after Queen Victoria, is when we officially celebrate the Canadian sovereign’s birthday. Happy birthday to Her Majesty!

https://twitter.com/TheCrownCa/statu...65556535111680

Old 06-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Justin Trudeau will meet the Queen at Holyrood Palace ahead of the G20 summit.

He said: "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's commitment to public service has long inspired me and many other Canadians.

"With this year marking the 150th anniversary of Confederation, I look forward to thanking her personally for her dedication to our country, and for carrying out her duties with such grace and strength."

Read more: https://stv.tv/news/east-central/139...inburgh-visit/

Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I look forward to it and hope we get a video of the greeting, as we did last time he met her.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely portrait

Portrait of the Queen wearing a maple leaf brooch released to mark Canada's 150th anniversary - ITV News
Old 06-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Beautiful portrait! I think out of all HM's brooches, if I had to pick one of them to borrow, even for a very short while, it would be her maple leaf brooch. Living in the Detroit area for most of my life, I've spent many, many happy times in Canada. Seeing the Canadian maple leaf always makes me a tad bit homesick.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful portrait of an amazing monarch.

The Queen's approval rating in Canada is now at 84% (almost as high as in the UK).

53% wants to end the ties with the monarchy when the Queen dies, but if we exclude Quebec, then there are a large majority for retaining it.

This poll from Ipsos Canada for Global News came out two days ago, but I forgot to post it - watch both videos for more information:

2 min video - The Prince of Wales and the duchess of Cornwall will arrive in Canada Thursday to take part in Ottawa’s big Canada Day celebrations. Charles and Camilla are here because Queen Elizabeth — now 91 — is largely restricting her travel. But as our Chief Political Correspondent David Akin reports, if Canadians had their pick, they’d much prefer the Queen than her son:
New poll reveals what Canadians think of royal family | Watch News Videos Online

3 min video - Darrell Bricker from IPSOS discusses a new poll that looks at Canadians attitudes towards the Royal Family:
Are Canadians over the Royal Family? | Watch News Videos Online
Old 06-30-2017, 10:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Stunning Portrait: Her Majesty The Queen-
https://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=16929&lan=eng

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-01-2017, 04:10 AM
Majesty

This portrait is so beautiful!!
Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 AM
Majesty

Canadians share the memories they have from Royals

Canadians have royal memories | Royals | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
Old 07-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family‏ @RoyalFamily
The Queen welcomes the Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, during an Audience at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. #HolyroodWeek #RoyalWeek

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...29429494779906
Old 07-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Article with videos of both the audience and Trudeau's remarks:
Trudeau has audience with the Queen after receiving honorary doctorate in Edinburgh - Politics - CBC News
Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he had a "warm and engaged conversation" with Queen Elizabeth during a private meeting in Edinburgh Wednesday.

In brief remarks outside the Queen's official Scottish residence, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Trudeau also said he offered the monarch the Canadian flag that flew above the Peace Tower on July 1, the 150th anniversary of Confederation.

"It was as it often is, as it always is, a warm and engaged conversation in which she displayed knowledge and interest on a wide range of global affairs and goings-on in Canada," Trudeau said. "It's always a pleasure to meet with her."
Old 07-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen had a very good day...

She rode on a cute boat, she met a cute, posy-nibbling pony, and she met with (cute) Prime Minister Trudeau.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

And here's a YouTube video of it:
Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you, Royal Norway! Very nice (and cute).

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

You're welcome!

Roya Nikkhah‏ @RoyaNikkhah
The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh will visit Canada House inTrafalgar Square on July 19th to celebrate #Canada150
Old 07-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

BREAKING: Julie Payette is the next Governor General of Canada, CBC News has confirmed. #cdnpoli

She is an astronaut
Old 07-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's the article:
Former astronaut Julie Payette to be Canada's next governor general - Politics - CBC News

What does canadian members here think about her as the next GG?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

She's smart but I don't like her. Can't see her as a GG
Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why don't you like her Rudolph? Just wondering...

ROYAL NORWAY, I don't envy her, as His Excellency, The Rt Hon David Johnston has been one of the best Governor Generals Canada's ever had & anyone following him has a very tough act to follow. Having said that, I think Julie is an excellent choice.

Yes, she's an Astronaut, but she's also a People Person & is great w/kids. Plus being able to speak seven different languages will be a huge advantage both to Julie & Canada when making Diplomatic Trips on our behalf.

As an Astronaut, she knows Military Protocols & Procedure backwards, forwards & upside down. That will also be a huge advantage in the coming years as Commander in Chief of the Military. Not to mention all the personal contacts she has w/in both the US & Russian Military thanks to all those years spent in the Astronaut Corps. That's nothing to be casual about.

I think this is a great choice & that Julie will be a very good Governor General for Canada.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm a little surprised - I was half expecting it to be Peter Mansbridge!

I should say, that's a joke, as he wouldn't have been considered; the GG role alternates between someone from an English speaking background and someone from a French speaking background, and Mansbridge is English. But the last 4 GGs appointed under the Liberals (Sauvé, LeBlanc, Clarkson, and Jean) have had a background with CBC/Radio-Canada, so I was expecting this appointment to follow that trend.

I'm excited for a change in GG as I'm not a huge fan of how current GG David Johnston has fulfilled the role. I have mixed feelings about Payette's background - I like it when the GG comes from a non-political background for a number of reasons, but I also acknowledge that it can be problematic when the GG doesn't have a firm understanding of the governmental side of role. I think Michaëlle Jean did a wonderful job of fulfilling the cultural side of her role, but her background made things a bit more difficult when she was in a position to challenge the sitting PM - if a similar situation had arisen (or rather situations) under a GG who had a better understanding of what he/she could do, I think they may have played out differently.

In all honesty, I was expecting a Francophone individual (likely female) who was an ethnic minority (I was actually hoping someone who was First Nations), from a non-political background with ties to CBC/Radio-Canada.

That said, Payette is not who I expected to be named GG, but I'm looking forward to seeing how she approaches the role. I think she could very likely bring something that we've not seen in that role before, which I think is great.

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii