The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

The public is invited to an afternoon of music, marching, pageantry and precision at the Governor General and Commander-in-Chief's Military Tattoo on Saturday, May 14, 2016, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Rideau Hall.

This event will honour the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and pay tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who is celebrating her 90th birthday this year.‎

This military tattoo is presented in collaboration with the Canadian Armed Forces and will feature the Royal Military College of Canada, the Governor General's Horse Guards, the Governor General's Foot Guards and Band, the Canadian Grenadier Guards and the Central Band of the Canadian Armed Forces.

CNW Group

Old 05-23-2016, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Happy Victoria Day! Canada is the only country that commemorates Queen Victoria with an official holiday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Day

Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Happy Victoria Day to all Canadian members here!! Enjoy your day off!!
Old 06-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Canada's place in the monarchy is one of the things that unites the country, says Gov. Gen. David Johnston.

Canada's "remarkable diversity" works because some things, like the monarchy, "holds us together," Johnston told CTV's Question Period.

Johnston says, over a thousand years, constitutional monarchies have evolved into a stable form of government.
Read more: Monarchy 'holds us together,' says Canada's governor general | CTV News
Old 06-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

7 in 10 Canadians still support ties to the monarchy.

And fifty-seven per cent of those surveyed believe the Queen’s position as head of state has had a positive impact on Canada’s standing in the world.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Why it's time to define the Crown's role with First Nations

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Majesty

That's interesting! So the rights and status of the Canadian indigenous people are guaranteed (in contrast to being defined) by the crown and not the Canadian legislation?
Old 06-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's interesting! So the rights and status of the Canadian indigenous people are guaranteed (in contrast to being defined) by the crown and not the Canadian legislation?
It seems that's what it's saying.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Odd.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:12 PM
Majesty

The relationship between the aboriginal people and the government seems, at least to me, to be highly politicized--with mistrust on both sides. The relationship between them and the Queen seems to be an affectionate one, from what I've seen; and there also seems to be a greater acknowledgement of the place of the Crown. Treaty Day is a really big deal.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Basically the treaties were written before Canadian independence. So the treaties with the indigenous population were formed between the Crown and the tribes, not the Canadian government. Simply because there was no government as it stands with our own legislature an constitution, at the time. Which makes making any real changes hard, for its not a simple matter of a petition for change to the Canadian parliament. Any changes to such treaties fall to the queen, not to our government. John A MacDonald did attempt to change that but never succeeded.

The issue seems to be that not enough importance has been placed on the queen's role with the indigenous populations. The want her role as their political leader more defined, so it can gain more attention. They hope if the queen and her representatives pay more attention, changes can be made.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

This article is hugely biased, misleading, and not altogether accurate.

Statements like "Michaëlle Jean, in her role as governor general, was the first to witness survivor accounts of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. David Johnston was one of the last" imply things that aren't true. You read that and think there have been a long line of Governor Generals, starting with Micheälle Jean and continuing on to the present (with Johnston falling somewhere near the present), witnessing this commission. Except their hasn't; Johnston is the current GG, and Jean is his immediate predecessor.

Aboriginal affairs falls under federal jurisdiction, and the federal government acts on behalf of the Crown in all matters relating to Aboriginals in Canada - just like they act on behalf of the Crown on all matters relating to national defence, or currency, or any other federal matter. The Queen or GG has the same responsibilities here that they have to any other federal matter.

Treaties in Canada were signed before confederation by various officials depending on the territory/who was in charge (i.e. in BC, the Douglas treaties were signed by James Douglas, then Governor of the Colony of Victoria). Shortly after Confederation, the federal government signed the Numbered treaties (11 between 1871 and 1921), then halted the treaty process (because of purely racist reasoning), with a focus on eradication of Canada's Aboriginal population, until the 1970s, when the federal government began what is a rather painstaking slow modern treaty process that attempts to actually bridge some reconciliation between Canada and the Aboriginals. One of the major modern treaties, the Nisga'a Final Agreement, was signed in 1998 by several important Nisga'a leaders, the then-Premier of BC, and the then Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development - not the Lieutenant Governor of BC, or the Governor General of Canada, or the Queen.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:43 AM
Majesty

I see, so the events (or lack of them) between 1921 and the 70's explain the indigenous feeling of - shall we say - adherence to the GC and QEII rather than the Canadian government?
Old 06-25-2016, 03:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps it's time for the younger members of the royal family to get more involved with the indigenous people and their affairs.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-25-2016, 03:54 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Perhaps it's time for the younger members of the royal family to get more involved with the indigenous people and their affairs.
If I remember right, when Will and Kate toured Canada not long after their wedding, there were several occasions where they met with and interacted with the indigenous people of various areas. Getting more involved with their affairs I think would be deemed too political and best left to the government and the politicians.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I might be on board with this if the younger members of the royal family had anything to do with Canada as a whole. But they don't, not really. William has made 1 trip to Canada in the last 16 years, and stayed for a week. Harry's been 3 times, but the first two were for military training, and the last 1 he stayed for a day.

I am a Canadian monarchist and yet I still would feel like William, Kate, and Harry were foreigners trying to interfere in Canadian politics if they got involved in this issue at this point. They have to actually build a relationship with Canada before they can get involved with an issue like this.

The Governor General of Canada can, and I have rather mixed feelings about how David Johnston has done so - although, I'm self aware enough to realize that I'm biased here, as I'm a fan of Michaëlle Jean's, and she was noted for her attention to Canada's Aboriginals. Johnston has been faced with a few tricky situations that he's handled a bit awkwardly, notably the Idle No More movement. I think a big part of the difference between how he handles Aboriginal issues and how Jean handled them is owing to the fact that he is an older, white male born in Canada appointed to his position under a Conservative government, while Jean is a younger, black woman who came to Canada as a refugee and was appointed to her position under a Liberal government. It'll be interesting to see who is chosen to replace Johnston, although I believe he's expected to remain in position until September 2017.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

It would be nice if the younger royals developed a better relationship with Canada. The royals that seem to visit Canada much more often in the Wessex's and Princess Anne.

I'm just saying if the Indigenous people wanted a more defined role with the crown, it would be nice of the new generation of royals played small part in this.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't want any royal, other than our head of state, to get involved with Canadian internal affairs, including aboriginal issues.

Anyway they need to be invited to Canada by the government, as Heritage Canada picks up the tab.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don't want any royal, other than our head of state, to get involved with Canadian internal affairs, including aboriginal issues.

Anyway they need to be invited to Canada by the government, as Heritage Canada picks up the tab.
Isn't the aborigines saying they want to work The Queen and not government?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Majesty

I agree with Rudolph. The whole point of the Crown is that it stands for all the people of Canada, in the same way that the national flag stands for all the people of the United States of America. Once the Queen or other members of the Royal Family get politically involved, that's the end of the Crown's neutrality.

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii