The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Also, on the issue of WWI, I find it interesting how Canada and Australia had very similar war experiences there - incompetent British generals using their colonial troops as cannon fodder. You have Gallipole, we have Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele. But somehow we have a different lasting outlook on a similar experience.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

In the article, Robert Finch, Dominion Chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada, says he has heard there’s a “realistic possibility” that William and Kate might tour the country this year, which would likely rule them out for 2017.

He said he wasn’t sure his information about a 2016 tour by William and Kate was entirely accurate, “but I had it from more than one person, both in Ottawa and in London.”

.... Hmmmm very interesting

Quote:
Don’t be surprised if there is a regal presence on Parliament Hill when Canadians celebrate the country’s 150th anniversary on July 1, 2017.

Canadian Heritage officials raised that tantalizing prospect in a November 2015 briefing note prepared for Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly that discusses plans for Canada Day 2017 celebrations on Parliament Hill.

“Canada Day 2017 presents an opportunity to host a royal tour,” the officials observe in the briefing note, adding: “It is customary for members of the Royal Family who are in Canada on July 1 to join Canadians on Parliament Hill to celebrate the day.”
Read more: Government mulling royal visit to mark Canada Day 2017 celebrations in Ottawa | Ottawa Citizen

Old 02-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Though she turns 90 this April, Finch suggested that prominent member could be the Queen, who last visited Canada in 2010.

“Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, but I think the natural or obvious royal for 2017 would be the Queen herself,” he said. “She was here for the Centennial in 1967 and was here for Canada 125. It’s the obvious choice.”

If the Queen were to come, Finch said, no one would expect her to undertake a long, cross-country tour. But a short visit to attend Canada Day celebrations in Ottawa would be reasonable, he said. “It would be a great celebration.”
I know that Philip visited Canada at the age of 91 in April 2013, but I would still be very surprised if the Queen chooses to do the same in order to attend the 2017 Canada Day celebrations.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Courtier

I think the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will attend the 2017 Canada Day celebrations.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I think the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will attend the 2017 Canada Day celebrations.
I think so too.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I think that makes more sense.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

If the Queen did attend in 2017 she would surely have to come without Prince Philip who would then be almost 96, and that doesn't seem likely.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm sure both HM and the DoE would love to be there in Ottawa for this but as willing as the spirit is, the realities of the flesh place limitations. I don't see either of them making the long trip to Canada.

I can, however, see Charles and Camilla going and Charles reading a very endearing missive from his mother to the people of Canada.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

But how long does it take to fly to Canada from London? I suppose it depends on what part you're flying to, but, assuming HM is feeling well, I wouldn't be surprised if she made the trip for such an important occasion, and I think Philip would give it a go, too, if he was up to it. ETA I just noticed the event will be in Ottawa. Apparently the flying time is about 8 hours. The train trip from Balmoral to London is four or five hours. These are tough people. Old, but tough. I wouldn't rule them out.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:47 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If the Queen did attend in 2017 she would surely have to come without Prince Philip who would then be almost 96, and that doesn't seem likely.
I don't know. Obviously things can change very quickly at that age, but if they're not able to come (assuming it's even being considered), it wouldn't actually surprise me if it was concerns about her ability to travel that were the main factor. I think he's actually made long-distance plane trips more recently than she has, and she's the one who seems to be having more trouble with things like stairs.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:22 AM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth thins her Chicago condo portfolio - Chicago Tribune
Old 03-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen Receives Canadian Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba

The Queen Receives Canadian Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba - Pictures - Zimbio
Old 03-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
But how long does it take to fly to Canada from London? I suppose it depends on what part you're flying to, but, assuming HM is feeling well, I wouldn't be surprised if she made the trip for such an important occasion, and I think Philip would give it a go, too, if he was up to it. ETA I just noticed the event will be in Ottawa. Apparently the flying time is about 8 hours. The train trip from Balmoral to London is four or five hours. These are tough people. Old, but tough. I wouldn't rule them out.
There is major difference between taking a train and flying though. Especially when you consider how the queen travels by train. 8 hours on a trans-atlantic flight is not easy even on younger people at times. And yes, the main Canada day celebrations are held in our capital.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

There is no time change between London & Balmoral. There is a significant one between London and Canada.

The time change messes you up more than the actual travel hours.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

BritishMonarchy @BritishMonarchy
The Duke receives a 5th Clasp to his Canadian Forces Decoration for 62 years' service in The Royal Canadian Regiment

https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/...61619073110016
Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM
Majesty

Royal rejection: naturalised Canadians recant oath of allegiance to Queen | World news | The Guardian
Old 04-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Majesty

Canadians like the Queen, but find Prince Charles 'boring': Survey
Old 05-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal Family ‏@RoyalFamily
A message from The Queen to @GGDavidJohnston following the news of the wild fires in #FortMcMurray #Canada
Quote:
Prince Philip and I were shocked and saddened by the news of wild fires that are causing such devastation to Fort McMurray. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who have been affected, and we send our heartfelt thanks to the firefighters and the other emergency workers.

ELIZABETH R
Old 05-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The Royal Family ‏@RoyalFamily
A message from The Queen to @GGDavidJohnston following the news of the wild fires in #FortMcMurray #Canada

I haven't seen the original message, but I doubt Her Majesty would write: "Prince Philip and I was shocked[...]" as opposed to "Prince Philip and I were shocked [...]".
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I haven't seen the original message, but I doubt Her Majesty would write: "Prince Philip and I was shocked[...]" as opposed to "Prince Philip and I were shocked [...]".
The message was posted as a picture on twitter and therefore I couldn't copy the text. I should have looked on it more closely when I wrote it, but I've corrected it now.

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii