The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post

“It’s changed quite a bit since I last saw it,” she said.

“Yes,” Phil Richards replied. “It went from six inches to this.”

Everyone laughed. Then the Queen turned to her representative in Canada.
Please tell me I'm not the only one who had a little giggle at this comment?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

A better look at the painting: Diamond Jubilee portrait

Some interesting info. on the portrait:

. . . The painting includes a number of symbolic elements that represent aspects of Her Majesty’s 60 years of service to Canada.

For example, Her Majesty is depicted wearing her Canadian honours.

Resting against two Victorian ink pots is a copy of the British North America Act of 1867 that was signed by Queen Victoria and repatriated in 1982 during Her Majesty’s reign.

The vase is embossed with The Queen’s Canadian Diamond Jubilee Emblem. Painting of Her Majesty - About the Diamond Jubilee - Diamond Jubilee

Another article:
PM attends unveiling of new Canadian portrait of The Queen and announces Canada's contribution to the Diamond Jubilee Trust - Prime Minister of Canada

Old 06-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Canadians warm to Prince Charles
Quote:
Prince Charles - the future king of England - has a few more admirers on this side of the pond than he did a year ago, according to a new poll from Ipsos Reid. While the majority of Canadians (54 per cent) still would like to see the 63-year-old Charles step aside in favour of allowing his son, Prince William, to take the throne, that number is down. Just last year, 60 per cent wanted Charles to take a pass on the succession.

The numbers show the image shift seems to be working - particularly among young Canadians. While 60 per cent of Canadians over age 55 would prefer to see Prince William wear the crown, younger Canadians are split down the middle. They are "much more supportive" of the idea of Charles as king, with half firmly in his camp.

The poll also shows that while 61 per cent Canadians - across age groups - believe Canada should maintain its ties to the monarchy after the Queen dies, new Canadians (63 per cent) are more likely to support the monarchy in Canada. Wright said "new Canadian citizens are looking for icons that they can actually hang onto in order to become more Canadian." Support for maintaining a constitutional monarchy was highest in Alberta with 77 per cent, and lowest in Quebec, where only 28 per cent of people support the Queen's claim in Canada.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Aristocracy

Popular Royalism in the Novels of Lucy Maud Montgomery from Anne of Green Gables to Pat of Silver Bush -Part 4 of my 4 part series about the royal history of Canada's maritime provinces.

The Royal History of Canada’s Maritime Provinces Round 4: Royalty in the Novels of Lucy Maud Montgomery | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Majesty

Governor General to Unveil Canada Post Stamp Commemorating the 60th Anniversary of Her Majesty’s Coronation:

Their Excellencies the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and Mrs. Sharon Johnston, along with Deepak Chopra, President and CEO of Canada Post, will unveil a postage stamp commemorating the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation, during a ceremony at Rideau Hall on Wednesday, May 8, 2013, at 10 a.m-

New Canadian Stamp To Honour Queen Elizabeth

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Majesty

Monarchy’s role in government: Most Canadians want fixes, but how?
Monarchy

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Monarchy’s role in government: Most Canadians want fixes, but how?
Monarchy
Dman - thanks for this excellent and informative article. Those of us who read it will no longer make flip comments about the issue. Hint hint.

I find that here in America, we often are offered the argument "it would take a constitutional amendment" as a reason to not even try for reforms. Sadly - we buy that as credible. In fact, there were 6 amendments enacted in the last 50 years (here) of the 20 century. Several of these related to how we select our President, an issue relatively as important as the role of the monarch.

Of course, our current national Congress is so ineffective that they seem only to be motivated by interruptions to their ease of travel.

Modern companies look to "Best Practices" of other companies in order to generate change, efficiency and effectiveness. I find that when I look at the Constitutional issues and practices of other countries, it's possible to see the different way governments can be effective. Not that I think Constitutions should copy one another - but rather they can serve as platforms for different ideas and reforms.

Sorry for the rant. I WAS a good article and it will be interesting to see Canadians work through the issue.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 01-31-2014, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Governor General David Johnston has stripped Conrad Black of his Order of Canada: Official Press Release

Canada strips former publisher Conrad Black of honors | Reuters

. . . The government on Friday terminated his appointment as an officer of the Order of Canada, which recognizes a lifetime of high achievement and merit.

It also removed him from the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, ostensibly a group of cabinet ministers and other prominent Canadians appointed to advise Queen Elizabeth, Canada's head of state, though for distinguished individuals outside of the cabinet it is mainly a mark of honor.

Conrad Black removed from the Order of Canada and stripped of Privy Council position | National Post

. . . In 2012 comments to the National Post, Mr. Black said he was fighting to keep the Order as a matter of principle. “Whether I am actually an officer of [the Order of Canada] is not especially important, but the process is,” Mr. Black said in a 2012 email to the National Post, “and no one should be threatened with deprivation of such an honour on the basis of anonymous officials in a secret proceeding slavishly following a rogue foreign judge, in a, to say the least, unrigorous finding.”
Old 04-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not sure if this has been posted here, but there's currently an attempt being made to remove the pledge to the Queen from the new citizenship oath for new Canadians.

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=9714583
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Courtier

Ontario appeal court upholds oath to the Queen in citizenship case | CTV News
Quote:
"The oath to the Queen of Canada is an oath to our form of government, as symbolized by the Queen as the apex of our Canadian parliamentary system of constitutional monarchy," Weiler wrote in her decision.

"Applying a purposive and progressive approach to the wording of the oath, with regard to its history in Canada and the evolution of our country, leads to the conclusion that the oath is a symbolic commitment to be governed as a democratic constitutional monarchy unless and until democratically changed."

"Because the Queen remains the head of our government, any oath that commits the would-be citizen to the principles of Canada's government is implicitly an oath to the Queen."
Kelly McParland: Court ruling confirms Canadian citizenship comes with the Queen, like it or not | National Post
Quote:
When you apply to become a citizen of a country, it’s not the responsibility of the country to change its style of government to suit your needs. You don’t get to pick and choose which parts of a country are satisfactory to your needs, and reject the rest. If the three applicants can’t accept that, there’s no need for them to become citizens. They’ll be the worse for it, not Canada.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

The three individuals behind the lawsuit have said they'll try to appeal it again.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Courtier

Good luck with that.
Quote:
Wednesday’s ruling notes that the citizenship oath is similar to one that senators and Members of Parliament are required to swear before they can take their seats. It can’t be challenged under the Charter, because “the Constitution cannot itself be unconstitutional,” and one part of the Constitution can’t be used to invalidate another part.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, I agree. I don't think they'll be successful if they are able to appeal the decision. I hope that the Canadian Supreme Court refuses to hear the case as it seems like a waste of time and resources to me. The men come across as people who are republican and don't seem to understand (or care) that Canada isn't a republic.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Courtier

When you take an oath to the Queen, I don't think you take an oath to what the person represents. I see it like a contract to your new country.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, exactly.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 AM
Majesty

If you take an oath to a person you take an oath to a person and so the oath to The Queen is exactly that - a oath to a particular person.

I have taken that oath - many moons ago when I joined the army here - and even know of people who decided against joining the army at that time because they refused to take an oath to The Queen. I also know of two men who were able to avoid conscription in the 1960s - again as they were conscientious objectors and their objection was to that taking of that oath - being of Irish Catholic descent they refused to take any oath to HM The Queen and refused to become Australian citizens either. Since the new 'pledge' was introduced they very quickly took that to become citizens - why - because there is no mention of The Queen or her heirs and successors but it is to Australia and its people.

Way more meaningful than to swear a oath of allegiance to an individual on the other side of the world who is meaningless in the day to day life of the country to which you have chosen to belong.

The British have the option of swearing allegiance to The Queen or to the nation itself with no mention of The Queen - sensible option in my view as those who don't wish to tie themselves to The Queen can do so.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The British have the option of swearing allegiance to The Queen or to the nation itself with no mention of The Queen - sensible option in my view as those who don't wish to tie themselves to The Queen can do so.
Is this a new change, Bertie? My research tells me that applicants for UK citizenship still have to swear or affirm allegiance to HM, and then make a separate pledge of commitment to the UK.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Courtier

I don't know about Britain but there is only one oath of citizenship in Canada

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II , Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If you take an oath to a person you take an oath to a person and so the oath to The Queen is exactly that - a oath to a particular person.

I have taken that oath - many moons ago when I joined the army here - and even know of people who decided against joining the army at that time because they refused to take an oath to The Queen. I also know of two men who were able to avoid conscription in the 1960s - again as they were conscientious objectors and their objection was to that taking of that oath - being of Irish Catholic descent they refused to take any oath to HM The Queen and refused to become Australian citizens either. Since the new 'pledge' was introduced they very quickly took that to become citizens - why - because there is no mention of The Queen or her heirs and successors but it is to Australia and its people.

Way more meaningful than to swear a oath of allegiance to an individual on the other side of the world who is meaningless in the day to day life of the country to which you have chosen to belong.

Like Roslyn, my search on this is saying otherwise. Would-be British citizens have to take an oath (or affirmation) and a pledge.

The Oath is:
"I, [name], swear by Almighty God that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, according to law.
The Affirmation is for those who object to swearing the Oath and is:
I, [name], do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

The Pledge is:
I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfill my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

Except, once again, they have to take the pledge and either the oath or affirmation - they have to give their loyalty to the state and swear allegiance to the Queen.

In Canada, this oath and pledge are basically combined - in the Canadian Oath of Citizenship you swear allegiance to the Queen and vow to observe Canadian laws and be a good Canadian citizen.

From the CTV News article:
Quote:
"The oath to the Queen of Canada is an oath to our form of government, as symbolized by the Queen as the apex of our Canadian parliamentary system of constitutional monarchy," Weiler wrote in her decision.

"Applying a purposive and progressive approach to the wording of the oath, with regard to its history in Canada and the evolution of our country, leads to the conclusion that the oath is a symbolic commitment to be governed as a democratic constitutional monarchy unless and until democratically changed."

If the reference to the Queen in the oath were eliminated, or made optional, wrote Weiler, such a remedy would only be a superficial cure for the complaint.

"Because the Queen remains the head of our government, any oath that commits the would-be citizen to the principles of Canada's government is implicitly an oath to the Queen."
The full article is here: Ontario appeal court upholds oath to the Queen in citizenship case | CTV News
Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Message from Her Majesty The Queen
September 9, 2014

“I was greatly interested to learn of the discovery of one of the long-lost ships of Captain Sir John Franklin. Prince Philip joins me in sending congratulations and good wishes to all those who played a part in this historic achievement.” Official Statement

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii