The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding a former post, maybe stop your squabbles; only the general public of whichever Commonwealth country involved will nod to ye or ney! Nothing to do with anyone else (aftermath aside).

On the last post re. Canadian's identfying FB members ..... I occasionally watch Tipping Point (UK game show) which in the final game often have Royalty as a subject.

It is amazing how many UK mainlanders have no idea about the members of the fairly immediate RF!

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
The Queen is presented with a maquette of a statue of John McCrae, writer of "In Flanders Fields" ??
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/788757287867482113

The Queen, Captain General, Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, received Brigadier General James Selbie (Colonel Commandant, Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery) at Buckingham Palace.

The Brigadier presented Her Majesty with a maquette of a statue of Lt. Col. John McCrae (1872-1918): Canadian Gunner, Physician & Poet, and author of "In Flanders Fields".
Read more: https://www.royal.uk/queen-receives-maquette-canadian-soldier-and-poet-john-mccrae

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say... I don't see this being touched unless there's a huge demand for the monarchy to be removed. The headache that is an overhaul of the constitution is going to discourage any political upheaval.

Although, in a sense, with all the articles popping up with a slant to the macabre as to what will happen if and when the Queen dies, I have found it kind of interesting to know just what is in place and what is expected to happen. We all know that it is inevitable that HM's reign will come to an end at some point and to be honest, when it comes to preparing for something like this to occur, ranking at the top of the list of ensuring that everything is in order would HM herself.

This was actually a pretty interesting article, with the exception of this:
The Queen is up and about after a brutal cold kept her in bed for nearly two weeks throughout the holidays. But the health scare put thousands of people around the world on notice that the end of the Elizabethan Age might be nigh. This is particularly true of Canada: Aside from the U.K. itself, nobody has spent more time drilling for the death of Queen Elizabeth II than us.

Not to be morbid but this is very true. From the article: Aside from the U.K. itself, nobody has spent more time drilling for the death of Queen Elizabeth II than Canada.

Message from the Governor General of Canada on the Occasion of the Sapphire Jubilee of The Queen’s Accession to the Throne

Sapphire Jubilee

David Johnston is a committed monarchist, unlike some of his recent predecessors as Governor Generals of Canada.

David Johnston is a committed monarchist, unlike some of his recent predecessors as Governor Generals of Canada.

I don't know about Michäelle Jean, but Adrienne Clarkson is a committed monarchist. I suspect it's not so much that David Johnston is more of a monarchist than his two immediate predecessors so much as he takes a more traditional approach to being GG than they did (and as a white, Canadian born man is more traditional in appearance as well).

Gerald Butts ‏@gmbutts

Queen Elizabeth II has been Canada's Monarch for 43.3% of our country's history. Which is amazing. #canada150 #SapphireJubilee

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/828696459595874304

I had never thought of that before...

Interestingly, while she's only served a few years longer than Queen Victoria, as her role as Queen of an independent Canada, she far out reigns any of her predecessors.

Elizabeth II has been Queen of Canada for 65 years. Victoria was only Queen of Canada for 34 years (the first 30 years of her reign, Canada was a colony). George V reigned for 26 years, George VI for 16, Edward VII for 9, and of course Edward VIII for just under 11 months.

Gerald Butts ‏@gmbutts
Queen Elizabeth II has been Canada's Monarch for 43.3% of our country's history. Which is amazing. #canada150 #SapphireJubilee

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/828696459595874304

I guess the correct statement should be that Queen Elizabeth II has been monarch for 43.3 % of the history of the Dominion of Canada, which began in 1867. The country's history, as our friends in Quebec will tell us, is much older than that as the name "Canada" has actually been in use since the beginning of French colonization in the 16th century.

I don't know about Michäelle Jean, but Adrienne Clarkson is a committed monarchist. I suspect it's not so much that David Johnston is more of a monarchist than his two immediate predecessors so much as he takes a more traditional approach to being GG than they did (and as a white, Canadian born man is more traditional in appearance as well).

I've noticed that David Johnston always begins his Speeches from the Throne by saying something like "As the representative of Her Majesty The Queen, I am pleased to be here to deliver the Speech from the Throne", or " I bear the happy wishes and deep affection of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada". In other words, he formally acknowledges his vice-regal position and his condition of a mere surrogate of HM The Queen.

As far as I can recall, Michäelle Jean never made any such mentions to the Queen and acted instead as if she were the de facto Head of State of Canada rather than the Queen's representative.

As Donald Trump would tweet: "Big difference ! ".

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very true.

Michäelle Jean was criticized several times for a lack of understanding of her role; I'm not sure if I would go so far as to say she's not a monarchist (I searched and I couldn't find anything from her on the issue either for or against) or that she didn't do a good job at her role (in a lot of ways I far prefer the approach she and Adrienne Clarkson took to David Johnston's), but I definitely think she was over her head a bit in regards to understanding her legal and constitutional role. Johnston has a much better understanding of this - but he should, his background is based in the law (he has a a Bachelor of Arts from Harvard, Bachelor of Laws from Cambridge, and another Bachelor of Laws from Queen's University, he was an assistant professor at Queen's, a full professor at the University of Toronto, the dean of law at the University of Western Ontario, the Principal and Vice-Chancellor at McGill, and then the President of the University of Waterloo). He also has a long history of being involved in politics and government; he served as moderator at several debates during federal elections, and chaired a number of investigations commissioned by both federal and provincial governments.

In short, he should have a far better understanding of the legalities of his position than Jean and Clarkson.

Jean's education was in language and literature (Bachelor of Arts in Italian and Hispanic languages and literature and a Masters of Arts in Comparative Literatures from the University of Montreal, then further language and literature studies at the University of Florence, the University of Perugia, and the Catholic University of Milan), while her pre-GG career was largely in journalism and broadcasting. Clarkson similarly focused on literature while in school (Bachelor of Arts in English and a Masters in English Lit, both from University of Toronto), before embarking upon a 30 year career with CBC.

I kind of hope that when the next GG is selected (Johnston's term is set to end this September), someone who is a blend of our last 3 GG's is selected; someone who does have an understanding of the legal and constitutional position, like Johnston, but also has an understanding of the cultural position that Clarkson and Jean had.

Random, I never noticed it before, but of the last 11 GGs, only 2 of them (Johnston and Ray Hnatyshyn) were appointed under Conservative governments. And I believe Jean is the only one (of the last 11) to not have any political career before becoming GG.

As far as I can recall, Michäelle Jean never made any such mentions to the Queen and acted instead as if she were the de facto Head of State of Canada rather than the Queen's representative.

She did in 2006:

"As the representative of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, I am honoured to welcome the newly elected members of the House of Commons on the occasion of the opening of the First Session of the Thirty-Ninth Parliament of Canada. Canadians rejoice in the coming eightieth birthday of Her Majesty later this month, and in her more than fifty years of service as Queen of Canada."

I'm not sure how much influence the GG even has over that, though.

She also referred to herself as Head of State not once, but twice in a speech at UNESCO in Paris, 2009:

"I, a francophone from the Americas, born in Haiti, who carries in her the history of the slave trade and the emancipation of blacks, at once Québécoise and Canadian, and today before you, Canada's head of state, proudly represent the promises and possibilities of that ideal of society."

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2009/10/10/head_of_state_cest_moi_some_are_not_amused.html

Members of the Royal Family to Attend Commemorations for the 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge
His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, is pleased to announce that Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales, who will be representing Her Majesty The Queen, The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the commemorations for the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France, on Sunday, April 9, 2017.
Read more: 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge

What a beautiful and eloquent message. Thanks for posting this Rudolph. :)

:previous: Thanks Rudolph!

This was at Fairmont Hotel in Vancouver, Canada, 7 October 2002. And I really miss the days when the Queen still made speeches (she almost stopped in 2012, due her age).

Back
Top Bottom