The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Monarchy lovers in Montreal?

Hello,
I am a journalist working for Agence France Presse (French Press Agency) and I am working on a story about the Monarchy and Quebec. I am currently looking for people living in Montreal and who love the royal family.
I would like to talk with them about the wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton and their visit to Canada (the first official trip of the couple).
Easy to find anti royal family in Montreal, not easy to find real fans of the Monarchy...
Thank you for your help,
Best Regards,

Fabrice Hoss
fabricehoss@gmail.com

Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Canadian Mint unveils new Royal Family coins, minus Kate - The Globe and Mail

The William and Harry coins each come with a $109.95 price tag and will be available beginning March 15. The Charles coin won’t be available until Sept.

. . . the Mint is going to be cashing in with those coins later in the year. It has plans to release a set of coins in May celebrating Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012. As well, it will soon unveil designs commemorating Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding.

The coins from the "Continuity of the Crown" series can be see here: Welcome - Royal Canadian Mint

Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Odd that they refer to the Royal Family only in terms of being the British Royal Family, given that there are two future Kings of Canada and a "spare" in the collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Canada's Governor General David Johnston with a wedding celebration coin featuring Britain's Prince William and Catherine Middleton at the Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa April 6, 2011.
The Governor General of Canada > Photos > Unveiling of Royal Wedding Coins

The Royal Canadian Mint's website has details of both the coins:

Coloured Royal Wedding Coin - H.R.H. Prince William of Wales & Miss Catherine Middleton (2011)

Silver Royal Wedding Coin - H.R.H. Prince William of Wales & Miss Catherine Middleton (2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Canada Post unveils stamps for royal wedding

There are domestic and international versions of the stamps and they'll be available to Canadians on April 29, the same day the royal couple exchange their vows at Westminster Abbey in the heart of London.

"We never issued a royal wedding stamp on the day of the event itself. We're thrilled that our team, our suppliers and partners were able to pull this off in mere weeks," Anick Losier, a Canada Post spokeswoman said.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Jean Chrétien offers Queen an election update - The Globe and Mail

Eleven Canadian prime ministers have served since the Queen took the throne, but it seems Jean Chrétien remains the royal favourite.

Seated at her side on Tuesday for lunch at Windsor Castle, Mr. Chrétien briefed the Queen on Canada’s latest election, while she took the opportunity to practice her French.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Aristocracy

Canadians mark the Queen's 85th birthday

Canadians Celebrate the Queen's 85th - Toronto Political Buzz | Examiner.com
Old 05-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the news!So,this is the new governor.How many years does a governor-general could stay?Is this process based on elections?
Old 06-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Meet+be...669/story.html

Kevin MacLeod remembers the first time he met the Queen. Or rather, he doesn’t.

MacLeod was a junior program officer at the Department of the Secretary of State during Queen Elizabeth II’s visit to Canada in 1987. He worked on the tour and even accompanied her back to Britain to finalize arrangements for a new Canadian heraldic authority.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Gentry

The "Royal" designation will be (finally) restored to the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Force tomorrow!

Navy and air force to be royally renamed - Politics - CBC News
Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir View Post
The "Royal" designation will be (finally) restored to the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Force tomorrow!

Navy and air force to be royally renamed - Politics - CBC News
Wonderful news.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

Wonderful news is right!! :o) Thanks for the info bweir!!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

I just read about this. Interesting news. I don't know how I feel about it yet or why this change was necessary at this time.

MacKay: Renaming military corrects 'historical mistake'

Canada's air force and navy will undergo a name change that honours the military's royal roots, Defence Minister Peter MacKay announced Tuesday.

Speaking in Halifax, MacKay said the Canadian air force, now officially named Air Command, will be renamed the Royal Canadian Air Force.

The navy, now called Maritime Command, will once again be known as the Royal Canadian Navy.
And the army, known as Land Force Command, will now be called the Canadian Army.

MacKay said the decision corrects a "historical mistake" that was made when the various branches of the military were renamed around 1970, with the word "royal" removed. CTV Edmonton - MacKay: Renaming military corrects 'historical mistake' - CTV News
Old 08-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I just read about this. Interesting news. I don't know how I feel about it yet or why this change was necessary at this time.

MacKay: Renaming military corrects 'historical mistake'
As an American, I have to admit that the name changes in Canada reflects a very big sense of history. I don't think it deflects from Canada being its own unique republic but a country that has far reaching roots into history and is proud to show it. Over the years, the armed service that has mostly stood out for me when I think of Canada is its brightly clad Royal Canadian Mounted Police who "always get their man".

It may have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it but can anyone think of a better way to honor HM the Queen for her Diamond Jubilee? I'm willing to bet that she's tickled pink.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Well that's how the government is portraying it. I hope that's truly their intention and this isn't about undoing something their rivals (the Liberals) did nearly 30 years ago. Although I admit that this latest decision is completely in line with the present government's pro-monarchy stance.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I hope that's truly their intention and this isn't about undoing something their rivals (the Liberals) did nearly 30 years ago.
Well, the Liberals aren't exactly their chief rivals at the moment.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir View Post
Well, the Liberals aren't exactly their chief rivals at the moment.
But they have been historically...as is their ideology and that of a lot of people who aren't traditionalists or monarchists.
I can see where some of the criticism is coming from. I do feel that this is a political decision on the government's part, it'll win them some points with conservatives.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Incredibly sad news today

Death of the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition

August 22, 2011

Message from His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, following the death of the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, the Honourable Jack Layton

OTTAWA— My wife, Sharon, and I join all Canadians in deeply mourning the loss of Jack Layton today.
As leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, Mr. Layton was held in great esteem by Canadians for his passionate dedication to the public good. Throughout his career as a community leader and politician, he constantly strived to bring people together in the common cause of building a better Canada, and he did so with great energy and commitment. His fundamental decency and his love of our country serve as examples to us all, and he will be greatly missed.
We wish to extend our sincerest condolences to Mr. Layton's wife, Ms. Olivia Chow, and their family, friends and colleagues in this most difficult time. Our thoughts are with you.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the link to His Excelleny's Statement Humera and sad news doesn't even cover it. This Country of ours lost a good man on Monday morning and one who truly cared about and for Canada and fought for Canada as well.

He is going to be deeply missed. :o(
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Courtier

It's so so sad. What a great man we lost.

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii