The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Nobility

Well if John Landy and Shirley De La Hunty [nee Strickland] can Govern West Australia and Victoria, then I suppose Wayne Gretzky is a chance.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd prefer Wayne Gretzky to Rick Hansen. There's something about Mr. Hansen that annoys me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ TAYLER View Post
Well if John Landy and Shirley De La Hunty [nee Strickland] can Govern West Australia and Victoria, then I suppose Wayne Gretzky is a chance.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I do not champion Wayne Gretzky at all for GG...
He is now more American than Canadian and is widely publized as "Whine Gretzky" because of all his crying and tantums over the years.
Also, his wife wouldn't like to leave LA; that's why he went there in the first place, not because he was 'traded' - but because she wanted to go back "home"...

I would be happy with Rick Hansen, as he is all Canadian and a "hero"... And, there is no detrimental controversy surrounding him....

Larry
Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Courtier

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I do not think that sports people are suitably qualified to be a Vice-Regal Represenative. They are there to first and foremost represent the Queen. Sure, some of them do persue a wide-rang of community projects outside their careers; but many are just like rock-stars or celebrities who are only concerned with their public image and bank balance. If Stephen Harper picks Wayne Gretzky, then I would be expecting him to be succeeded by Celine Dion!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Decorated peacekeeper to be named new Alberta Lt.-Gov. | Alberta | News | Edmonton Sun

Col. Donald Ethell will be named as the new lieutenant-governor for Alberta in an announcement Thursday, according to reports.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Heir Apparent

You make a valid point, RoyalistRiley. Hopefully the Governor Generalship is one office that's free from the cult of celebrity worship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
If Stephen Harper picks Wayne Gretzky, then I would be expecting him to be succeeded by Celine Dion!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Hopefully the Governor Generalship is one office that's free from the cult of celebrity worship!
It should also be free of politics. I think that it is wrong that the PM is trying to put his 'stamp on the position'. If anyone should be doing that - it is the Queen.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Nobility

What are the chances of a current Lt Governor assuming the office of Governor-General, should the Prime Minister go down that path?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Canada News Centre - Message from Her Majesty The Queen

As proud and grateful Canadians, we pause today to mark not only the ninety-third anniversary of this Nation’s victory at Vimy Ridge but also to pay tribute to the passing of a truly remarkable generation who helped to end the most terrible conflict the world had ever known.

Keep the Queen and choose another head of state - The Globe and Mail

Recognizing the governor-general as more than the monarch’s representative would help give the position greater respect and stature – and the change wouldn’t hurt the Constitution, or the Queen, one bit.

If the governor-general were designated Canada’s head of state, Queen Elizabeth would still be the Queen of Canada. Nothing in law or the Constitution would change. The change would simply reorient non-legal and non-constitutional titles to make it clear that the governor-general serves Canada and Canadians in his or her own right as Canada’s head of state. This might encourage Canadians to take the position of governor-general more seriously. It might even lead them to wonder why the choice of a governor-general who might well at some time have to reject the advice of a prime minister over an important issue remains solely in the hands of the prime minister, an interested party. There are better ways to choose our head of state.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

The Canadian Press: Term as Governor General won't be extended past September, Jean confirms

Michaelle Jean has confirmed that her five-year term as Governor General will not be extended beyond its scheduled conclusion in September, officially signalling the end of what has been a lively chapter in the history of a traditionally staid institution.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Ignatieff asks Harper to extend Michaëlle Jean's term - The Globe and Mail

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff urged the Prime Minister to extend Michaëlle Jean's term as Governor-General when her current five-year tenure expires in September.

The Canadian secretary to the Queen consulted Mr. Ignatieff on a successor at Stephen Harper's request.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM

I laugh at the idea of Shatner as GG. The facebook campaign was started probably by trekkies. Besides, he has spent most of his career is the USA and because of his personality, would be probably taught how to behave as a GG.

I like Rick Hansen as GG, but I do not think he is fluent in French and French Canadians will object to that.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

The future of the Crown

On the Queen's official birthday, in the wake of a number of Crown-related issues that have arisen in the recent past, and a month before the Queen's visit, it is fitting that we reflect on the Crown's continuing role in Canada.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Courtier

Monarchy leaves Canadians deeply split - The Globe and Mail

The results of the poll seem pretty much in line with what I hear in occasional discussions about the royal family. It's good to see that there is still support for the Queen. I definitely will be turning out to see her when she comes to Canada in a few weeks!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

The Ottawa Citizen has published several accounts by people who were present during various royal visits to Canada:

On Parliament Hill: No room … but a view

You know the drill?

Like mother, like daughter

A devoted volunteer rallies her troops

My connection to 1959 royal visit
Old 06-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Governor-General’s next role will be special envoy for UN

Governor-General Michaëlle Jean will take on a new job at the United Nations once her term ends in September.
She will take an appointment as the special envoy for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, a high-profile role that will extend her humanitarian efforts.
Her main goal will be to fight poverty and boost literacy rates in her home country of Haiti, where she will travel frequently. She will also aim to raise international funds for the nation, which was all but shattered by an earthquake in January.
Governor-General’s next role will be special envoy for UN - The Globe and Mail

Governor general named UNESCO envoy to Haiti

"She will be in a position to further advance the international community's response to the urgent needs in Haiti as it recovers from January's devastating earthquake," Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in a statement.

"The appointment is also a tribute to Canada's leadership role in rebuilding Haiti," he said. AFP: Governor general named UNESCO envoy to Haiti
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Canadian Heritage - News Releases / Statements

The Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, today announced that the Government of Canada has commissioned a new portrait of Her Majesty The Queen that will be unveiled during the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I hope that it will be a traditional portrait.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

G-G replacement to be named next week - The Globe and Mail

Stephen Harper is expected to name the next governor-general for Canada as early as next week, during the Queen’s visit.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Canadian Heritage - News Releases / Statements

The Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, today announced that the Government of Canada has commissioned a new portrait of Her Majesty The Queen that will be unveiled during the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

Excellent! I though the already announced bust for the Senate lobby turned out to be the Diamond Jubilee portrait that was rumoured earlier this year. Fantastic news!

Also, here is a nice article about HM receiving the Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick this morning:

N.B. lieutenant-governor took unique path to Buckingham Palace

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii