The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Queen planning 24th visit to Canada

Queen planning 24th visit to Canada

The Queen is planning her 24th official visit to Canada, but officials are not revealing the date or proposed destinations.

News of an upcoming royal visit in 2009 or 2010 emerged after Elizabeth II hosted a lunch in London Wednesday for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and their wives.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Romeo Leblanc dies at 81 - The Globe and Mail

Former governor-general Romeo LeBlanc has passed away. He was 81.

Mr. LeBlanc had been suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease for the last several years. He was living in his native New Brunswick, close to his son Dominic, a Liberal MP.

The first Acadian to hold the post, he served as governor-general from 1995 to 2000 after he was appointed by former Liberal prime minister Jean Chretien. Before that he had been in the Senate and was a cabinet minister under Pierre Trudeau.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

You beat me to it, wbenson! This is the obituary that appeared in Yahoo! news.
Romeo LeBlanc, Canada's first Acadian governor general, dies at 81 - Yahoo! Canada News

Although I'm of British descent and don't speak French, and don't support the Liberal Party, I really liked this man. Rest in Peace, Mr. LeBlanc.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Governor General, not Queen, to open 2010 Winter Games

B.C. monarchists are dismayed by news that the Queen will not be at the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics.

"We're very disappointed," said Dan Brown, president of the Royal Society of St. George's B.C. Branch, Saturday. "We were hoping that she would come. I'm not sure why she would decline."

An official announcement came from Rideau Hall in Ottawa saying that the Queen's representative, Governor General Michaëlle Jean, will open the Winter Games at B.C. Place Stadium on Feb. 12.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Majesty

I was under the impression, for a number of years now, that the GG was going to be opening these games. I don't remember where I read it but it was certainly before last year's Beijing Olympics as if was something that came up in conversation with my brother before he left for Beijing.

I suspect, that like Australia, the monarchy is being sidelined, even if no republic is declared. In all important ways the countries are operating as republics. The Queen is not all that relevant as the GG does the day-to-day work of the Head of State and should therefore get the credit for doing so.

The Australian GG opened the Sydney Olympics and did so with due credit to all Australians and I am sure that the Canadian GG, a true Canadian, will do so as well.

The Queen can open London - rightfully, but she shouldn't be doing so in other countries any more, in my opinion.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That's a shame that QE won't be opening the games I was really hopeing that she would. Oh well we shall have to wait till 2012.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I was under the impression, for a number of years now, that the GG was going to be opening these games. I don't remember where I read it but it was certainly before last year's Beijing Olympics as if was something that came up in conversation with my brother before he left for Beijing.
I think that's how it was until April, but when the Queen's visit this year or next was announced, many people assumed it meant she would be opening the Olympics. There was also an announcement that she had been invited to the games (which the Olympics organizers had to do as a matter of course, regardless of whether or not the government was planning to invite her, AFAIK).
Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Her Majesty The Queen to visit Canada in 2010

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, is pleased to announce that Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh are grateful to accept the invitation of the Government of Canada to undertake a visit to Canada in 2010, subject to the usual diary considerations.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Courtier

Canada will have no lack of attention from the Royals: first, Charles and Camilla's visit later this year, then Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh's visit. And that's even not mentioning Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko's visit which is taking place right now.
I hope the itinerary will be released fairly soon.

Members of the British Royal Family would be wise to visit the countries of the Commonwealth more often; it can only serve to strengthening the ties between the Monarch and the Realms.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Aristocracy

Hi Marsel,

Yes, I agree with you - The Royal Family should visit the Commonwealth countries more often!! And, I am thinking that the extended ones could be more utilized in this endeavour - the Kents & the Gloucesters for instance....
I would love to see Princess Michael come to Calgary. I know many don't care for her but I think she is a glamourous addition and would certainly enjoy 'queening it up' and all the attention. I'm sure she does know how to tone it down too, as she's an intelligent woman.
But, "the smile & wave" portion she'd have down to perfection!!!

I'd be interested to hear what James (Royal Protocol) and you think of that suggestion....

Cheers,
Larry
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Royal Highness

Queen to visit in 2010 - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

no word yet on which provinces she'll visit but i hope NS is one of them and i hope i'm there if she does!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Members of the British Royal Family would be wise to visit the countries of the Commonwealth more often; it can only serve to strengthening the ties between the Monarch and the Realms.
Her Majesty's children -- especially the Wessexes -- have visited Canada very often in recent years. The problem is that the Queen and Prince of Wales cannot come to Canada unless invited officially by the government. This rule doesn't apply though oddly enough to the Duke of Edinburgh or the Duchess of Cornwall.

In other Royal Canadian news, the Queen has appointed former Prime Minister Jean Chretien to the Order of Merit:

New appointment to the Order of Merit

Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Gentry

Princess Michael did very well (and was well received) when she presented The Queen's Plate in Toronto a few years ago. I would like to see Princess Alexandra make a return visit to Canada. She was a regular visitor from the 50s through the 80s, but I don't think she's been back to Canada since the late 80s or VERY early 90s.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Yes, I would also like to see Princess Alexandra return to Canada again. She is another glamourous royal who would be a great example for fostering more royal favour with the public.

An exemplary royal lady!

Larry
Old 07-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir View Post
Her Majesty's children -- especially the Wessexes -- have visited Canada very often in recent years. The problem is that the Queen and Prince of Wales cannot come to Canada unless invited officially by the government. This rule doesn't apply though oddly enough to the Duke of Edinburgh or the Duchess of Cornwall.

In other Royal Canadian news, the Queen has appointed former Prime Minister Jean Chretien to the Order of Merit:

New appointment to the Order of Merit

Thank you for information about the Order of Merit!
The British Royals certainly do pay a lot of attention to Canada (and Canadians) these days. However, Canada is not the only Commonwealth country the Queen is Monarch of; I assume that the large countries, like Canada and (possibly) Australia, do get their share of Royal attention. However, the smaller countries appear to be relatively forgotten. The Queen and the Prince of Wales are not the only Royals capable of visiting the countries as well; I for one, would like the younger Royals (William, Harry, even Beatrice and Eugenie) make appearances in the countries of Realm, not because they get more attention from the media, but because they could learn and gain a lot from those visits.

I agree with you and Vecchiolarry that it would be splendid if Princess Alexandra made another visit to Canada: she is every inch a true Royal should be (in my book).
Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Aristocracy

Order of Merit for Jean Chretien...? Must have been something behind the scenes we don't know about. He was pretty hopeless on the world stage.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Thank you for information about the Order of Merit!
The British Royals certainly do pay a lot of attention to Canada (and Canadians) these days. However, Canada is not the only Commonwealth country the Queen is Monarch of; I assume that the large countries, like Canada and (possibly) Australia, do get their share of Royal attention. However, the smaller countries appear to be relatively forgotten. The Queen and the Prince of Wales are not the only Royals capable of visiting the countries as well; I for one, would like the younger Royals (William, Harry, even Beatrice and Eugenie) make appearances in the countries of Realm, not because they get more attention from the media, but because they could learn and gain a lot from those visits.

I agree with you and Vecchiolarry that it would be splendid if Princess Alexandra made another visit to Canada: she is every inch a true Royal should be (in my book).
Fair point that younger royals should visit Cananda and Aus and other realms. I suspect William (and his wife?) will start to undertake more oversear royal toursonce Willsenters full time royal duties. As a full time member of the armed forces that is not possible just yet for Prince William. I am not sure about some of the other younger royals. At best,in time Harry could support his father, stepmother and broither in royal duties, but for now, there are plenty of other members of the family who can play supporting roles. I do not B&E should be undertaking royal duties overseas.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

He was Prime Minister for quite a while. I find it interesting that he must have been nominated for the decoration by the current Prime Minister, who is definitely NOT the same political stripe as Mr. Chretien. We never know quite what happens "behind the scenes", do we? In any case, well done for "the little guy from Shawinigan."*

*Jean Chretien's hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosana View Post
Order of Merit for Jean Chretien...? Must have been something behind the scenes we don't know about. He was pretty hopeless on the world stage.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Harper wouldn't have nominated Chretien. The Order is in the Queen's personal gift and is given without ministerial advice.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
He was Prime Minister for quite a while. I find it interesting that he must have been nominated for the decoration by the current Prime Minister, who is definitely NOT the same political stripe as Mr. Chretien. We never know quite what happens "behind the scenes", do we? In any case, well done for "the little guy from Shawinigan."*

*Jean Chretien's hometown.
I don't think HM would need ministerial advice on who to appoint to the Order of Merit or any of her personal orders. I don't think there is any possible way that Chretien was nominated by Stephen Harper (and it certainly wasn't leftover ministerial advice from Paul Martin! ).

Tags
british commonwealth, canada, elizabeth ii, governor general, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii