The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have made a few noises about supporting the move to a republic, but they can generally be attributed to lack of enthusiasm for William. It's remarkable how much more conservative I become when the local republicans try to force it onto me.

And don't fiddle with my flag, either!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I hope there is another referendum. I will vote the same way i did before and vote REPUBLIC ALL THE WAY

Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 AM
Courtier

How will Australia be a better country by becoming a republic?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Indeed, how would it not?

May it be asked what your opinion on the issue is, if you so feel like sharing?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Aristocracy

If Australia does vote to become a republic, it is almost certain that it would be with an overwhelming consensus from the general public. This is a result of the process to pass a referendum in Australia. To do so you require the majority of people in the majority of the states to vote for it to pass. This is a lot more complicated then it sounds and has resulted in only minor referendums being passed in Australia. Keep in mind that in Australia it is compulsory to vote, therefore voter participation is considerably higher than many other countries in the OECD.

Even with John Howard unduly influencing the process last time, I doubt the vote would have been significantly different. I can't see this changing in the near future either without a comprehensive and long winded public consultaton process to determine which model is best to follow post Constitutional Monarchy.

FYI - I grew up in Australia, hence my interest in the topic.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 AM
Majesty

The last vote was 45% Yes and 55% No mainly due to the model as it didn't involve a directly elected President. Most people that I know, and most polls on the issue indicate that a directly elected President would get up quite easily.

Sure only 8 referenda have been passed in the last 109 years since Federation but when they have been passed they have one thing in common - bipartisan support, which the next one will have.

I voted NO in 1999 but will probably vote YES next time due to my complete disregard for the young royals, William and Harry who seem to want to be 'normal' in which case why be given the position of Head of State. They need to be 'different' and be aware of it for me to see why they should have that position rather than me or someone else who is an Australian by birth or immigration but who definitely calls Australia home.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen has expressed her shock and sadness at the "terrible" death toll of Australia's worst bush fires that have killed more than 130 people.

Queen's sadness at wildfire deaths - Yahoo! News UK
Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen will make a private donation to a fundraising appeal helping the victims of Australia's worst-ever wildfires that have killed more than 170 people, Buckingham Palace said.

Queen donates to Australian appeal - Yahoo! News UK

Old 02-11-2009, 04:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Governor General Quentin Bryce has urged all Australians to think deeply about what they can do to help those affected by Victoria's devastating bushfires.

Bryce urges Australians to help bushfire victims - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder how the Australian people might feel if Charles & Camilla made a trip to Australia soon, in the aftermath of the fires. Do you think it is worth the PR effort?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I wonder how the Australian peoplemight feel if Charles & Camilla made a trip to Australia soon, in the aftermath of the fires. Do you think it is worth the PR effort?
I think a visit by HRH the Prince of Wales, at a later date, would be a very nice gesture, personally. I do believe any such visit would require an invitation from either the state or federal government, though now would not be the appropriate time for any such undertaking.

Given Charles' history with the State of Victoria, I think it only natural that he, of any representative of the Crown (not forgoing the GG), should visit the devestated regions.

As for Camilla, she's not someone who'll ever have much to do with Australia and has no history with the continent, unlike her husband or predecessor. As her husbands wife, she has every right to accompany him, and I'm sure she'd be nothing less than empathetic with those she meets, but I don't know if it would really be worth her accompanying him on any such trip to be honest.

Possibly any such request (which may not even eventuate) for a royal presence would be of a single invitation. Maybe just leave it to Charles.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Majesty

I agree that if any member of the RF was to come it should be the Prince of Wales but I would expect him to bring his wife and be disappointed if he didn't.

His previous wife only had any connection to this country because she married him so his present wife may be able to create a connection herself.

After the Ash Wednesday fires Charles and Diana did make a visit to the areas devastated, but that was an additon to an already planned trip.

Personally I don't expect that either the Victorian or Commonwealth governments would feel the need to send an invitation. Both are Labor governments and believe that an Australian should be Head of State so wouldn't see a need for a foreigner to come here on this occasion.

More likely to invite the Crown Princess of Denmark as she was born here.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
His previous wife only had any connection to this country because she married him so his present wife may be able to create a connection herself.
I fear it would be a rather pointless endeavour at this stage, unfortunately. I can't invision many Australian's according Camilla the same interest or favour they did Diana...rightly or wrongly, no matter the situation at hand. Then again, they've been married since 2005 and any 'connection' that would have wished to have been made, would/should have already been enacted by now. Personally, I don't think a time of crisis a very appropriate time to initiate a PR ploy and one can't help but think that's largely what it would be. Only, and only if Charles wishes to visit because it's of interest to him, should he accept any possible (however unlikely) request to do so.

Quote:
Personally I don't expect that either the Victorian or Commonwealth governments would feel the need to send an invitation. Both are Labor governments and believe that an Australian should be Head of State so wouldn't see a need for a foreigner to come here on this occasion.
I tend to agree.

Quote:
More likely to invite the Crown Princess of Denmark as she was born here.
Perhaps in a year or so could the Crown Princess of Denmark make an official visit, though in no way could HRH be considered a likely representative on behalf of the Queen of Australia, and ultimately, it is EIIR Commonwealth, and not that of Margrethe II.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:02 AM
Majesty

I didn't suggest that the Crown Princess of Denmark would be representing the Queen of Australia but rather that, because she was born in Australia, she could be invited if either governments decided that a royal was to be asked.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I understand, but my point was that Mary is the Crown Princess of an entirely different Commonwealth. The fact HRH was Australian should not enter the equation this time around. A visit, if by any royal, should be undertaken by a senior representative of the Australian Crown first and foremost (GG aside). Not the Danish.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

With the caveat of not being Aussie and watching from afar, I think a trip by C&C to Australia in 3-4 months from now would go some distance. The Queen remains the head of state of Australia for now, and as his heir, I think it is only right for Charles to visit. Camilla should go to, as she has not been to Australia as his wife. There is nothing to hide, and whilst Camilla and Diana comparisons are inevitable everywhere, we have seen Camilla woo the American people.... I am sure the trip would be well received.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

The likeliness of a visit really is quite slim I think. Possible, but not incredibly likely I'd imagine.

The Queen would be welcome with open arms. Without a doubt having the Queen of Australia visit would be well recieved though any such visit will not happen. Any visit undertaken by the Prince of Wales given his history with the State of Victoria would I'm sure be understood and acknowledged. Though as for the Duchess, I just don't invision her attendance to be of any real comfort given there is no relationship between Australia and Camilla. As I said I'm certain HRH would be entirely empathetic and sweet, but visiting just because one's husband does serves little purpose.

Woo the Australian public? I think you'll find the Australian public will have very little time for such 'relationship building' with a lady who is an entirely unkown and who has never even visited this country. Infact, Camilla isn't even printed on the front of our major magazines because sales are anticipated to weaken if she is. My sister in-law, who works for the Australian Women's Weekly wouldn't even dream of suggesting HRH be printed on the cover (not that she's that high up to do so).

Thats not to say that the Duchess wouldn't think the situation just awful and tragic. I'm sure she does. But people would question why now, if she did accompany her husband.

All in all, Charles would be best advised to make a lone visit if, at any stage, it is deemed appropriate.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I think you'll find the Australian public will have very little time for such 'relationship building' with a lady who is an entirely unkown and who has never even visited this country.
One has to start somewhere. Of course Camilla is unknown, because she has noty travelled to Australia since the wedding. IMO, little harm from taking her along!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

And yet trips to the USA (a non Commonwealth country) were a forefront for the couple. Have they not also visited Canada? If they cared about any such relationship, it would have been visible by now. Evidently there's been no interest and I don't expect that to change.

IMO, and as much as I like the Duchess of Cornwall, it would be pointless bringing her along.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
If they cared about any such relationship, it would have been visible by now.
Possibly, but bear in mind that any visit could only happen at the invitation of either the Federal or a State government. Charles may have been itching at the bit to come to Australia, with or without his wife. Or he may not have been interested. We simply don't know.

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, governor general, julia gillard, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii