The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Nobility

Thank you maam someone gets where I am coming from though in MO to stand for election as Head of State the bugger would have to have an ego bigger than Australia itself. Like I said previously Australians need to think outside the box. Be ourselves and not look to other nations for blueprint of an upgrade. It must be a upgrade not a trade in to keep up with the 'Joneses' we are an original nation, it can be original to stay as you are or to change for the better (please god if we change let it be for the better).

Old 04-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Heir Apparent

smh

Rudd meets the Queen...and talks about weather

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Queen Elizabeth have discussed the unseasonally cold British weather and his travel plans during an official meeting at Windsor Castle this morning.

Rudd meets the Queen ... and talks about weather - World - smh.com.au

(I noted Her Majesty wore her Australian white and yellow diamond wattle brooch)

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Courtier

It's just been announced that Australia is to have its first female Governor-General, Her Excellency, Quentin Bryce, Governor of Queensland.

The Age - World News, Finance News & Breaking News - Melbourne, Australia

Really, I couldn't be more pleased. Her Excellency is a perfect choice. She's a gifted lawyer and academic, a fine community contributor and human rights advocate, and, it's said, is the most elegantly groomed grandmother in the country! Well done, PM! And many thanks to Her Majesty for her approval of this most excellent appointment.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Heir Apparent

You bet me too it, Polly...

I'm so delighted that Ms Quentin Bryce AC has been appointed to our Vice regal office.

I happened to meet Quentin in '06', and found her to be very charming and indeed, very elegant.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is good news. Quentin Bryce is an excellent choice and is just the sort of person who should be Governor General, and president when we become a republic, which is why I could never vote in favour of a republic model that provided for an elected rather than appointed president.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Aristocracy

I am not in favour of Australia becoming a republic at all. We are legally independent and I see no point in it whatsoever. Monarchies have been more stable historically than republics with less civil wars which is a good reason to stay the way that we are.

I agree with you, Roslyn. Politicians want us to become a republic so that they can have even more power.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here is a pic of GG Quentin Bryce. She looks every bit a queen, just look at that huge diamond ring on her finger lol

http://www.law.uq.edu.au/events/70th...versary020.jpg

Another pic...looking even more queenly
http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/ma...s/infocus3.jpg
Old 04-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh, she isn't GG just yet..hehe

I don't think it's a diamond ring, Australian. More like one CP Mary would wear...

Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh yeah your right Madame Royale, i just zoomed it and its not. I must need glasses.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Nobility

She is a good choice for GG for Qus IMO good luck to her
Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

theage.com.au

Australia will be a republic within two years if delegates to the 2020 summit in Canberra have their way.

Republic by 2010, summit told - Breaking News - National - Breaking News

My say:
Ambitious indeed, and the summit istelf has been received with mixed responses. One big thinking tank, though to some a piece of political comedy.

As for the Republic, it's been suggested that within a two year time frame ties with the Crown are dissolved, whilst retaining the GG for a further 5 years while the question on what type of governing body is wanted to establish an entirely new form of government, is put to the Australian people.

So what is that, a span of seven years in limbo with the Governor General acting as an interim Head of State?

Unquestionably, this is an issue of ENORMOUS importance and requires every bit the dedication and attention of all Australian's and parliamentary officials. To be honest, I'd find any transition during the reign of ERII to be really quite unforunate, but that's just my humble opinion.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Nobility

Have your say!!! Have it my God I will have to live permanantly in Australia again (there goes my skin) to do my utmost to delay /prevent this. WHY ? WHY? We have such an efficient system compared to the rest of the world why change a streamlined efficient model for a leaky oil eating monster?? Can i interest anyone at all in the idea of our own moanrchy???????????????
HARRY FOR KING!! HARRY FOR KING!!! OK it looks like for techinical reasons I am silent for a while at least in this forum. One quick battle in local politics to fight while my computer is out of action and I will be back so lay on the posts so I have something worthwhile to read when I come back. The greatest opponent of democracy is apathy.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Aristocracy

I know a lot of people that are quite happy for Australia to be still apart of the commonwealth.

I don't think we will become a republic while the Queen is still on the throne, but after that I don't know with Prince Charles.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, I'd like to retain the Queen as our Head of State but if HM lives a further 15, 20 years then I dare say the likeliness that Australia had become a republic in that time, is really very likely indeed.

Quote:
HARRY FOR KING!!
You really are a republican's dream!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Courtier

Despondently, I'm convinced that Australia will become a republic, sooner rather than later. Hitherto, I thought that we were secure, at least until HM's demise; now, I'm not too sure.

Of course, added to the, not altogether unreasonable wish, for many Australians to assert their sense of nationalism, there is the unpalatable undercurrent of resentment towards Charles and Camilla: well, Camilla, really. I think this attitude so wrong-headed and so devoid of rational explanation that I can barely bear to address it!

What 2020 confirmed was that there should first be a vote asking if Australia should become a republic - yes/no. This will carry, I'm sure. The follow-up question should only then address the form and manner of electing the President to avoid the confusion of the last vote. I am not confident that the Crown will win in these circumstances.

Whatever the outcome, there is absolutely no suggestion that Australia should or would leave the Commonwealth of Nations. That would be entirely unacceptable, in my opinion. If worst comes to worst, we should always be able to celebrate and remember that British law and governance allowed us our relatively easy life of comparative privilege, lack of want and need for most, and a parliamentary and judicial system which is second to none.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Aristocracy

Well I hope it never happens in my lifetime (look at my user name the numbers will give you a hint as to how old I am ) and quite frankly there are much more important things on the agenda for the Prime Minister as far as I'm concerned than having Australia made a Republic

No wonder we rejected it last time who would want the "Old Boys" to elect a President from amongst their own

As for Camilla it was a breath of fresh air to find these forums and find there were people such as myself who really liked Camilla instead of her being "that woman" (with all the undercurrents that implies)as she is still referred to in Letters to the Editor.And of course No Idea and W..... Day continue to feed the Diana legend
Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Courtier

I agree with you, Tinkerbell 1948.

Sadly, I think that we're on the losing team, this time. Nor is it a party-poltical issue, so far as I can tell. MPs, from all parties, seem to be confirmed in this project. That being so, I fear that the battle may well be lost already.

You're right, too, to defend HRH Camilla. She's done a great deal of good for the Throne and the heir, in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 AM
Aristocracy

Yes I guess you are right , John Howard was PM when we had the last one and had been for over 3 years

I've basically grown up with the RF, I am 11 months older than Charles so as a young child I was very impressed by the Movietone news as the picture theatre when the Queen was crowned. I was 6 I think when she toured the Empire (as it was back then ). Our tiny one teacher school made the trip to Lismore our nearest town (FNC of NSW ) for her visit. It just bucketed down with rain (prelude to one of our great floods) and Mum said we had to be in there at 6.00am.All the girls wore white dresses and we all had a flag to wave. It poured with rain so much that the car went past, the windows up and all steamed up and as a little girl I couldn't understand why I hadn't seen the Queen I was sooo disappointed I remember being so envious of Anne and Charles having the Queen for their mother

Then I remember the pledge we said every day, and Empire Day and the fireworks at night

I'm a hopeless case I'm afraid

And having said all that I think Quentin Bryce is an EXCELLENT choice for a G-G
Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Courtier

No, you're not a 'hopeless case' at all.

The Crown, as exemplified by this particular and beloved Majesty, has been a boon and delight and a great asset to the Commonwealth of Australia. Many of us would wish to cling to Her Majesty....increasingly, it seems that it's not to be.

Still, always remember -

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Aristocracy

So hard to believe she was 26 when she took the throne that is only 4 years older than my daughter (who is in England right now ) I told her before she left when my Mum was her age I was already 1 year old she can't even begin to imagine it

But you are right. Her Majesty will be remembered as the greatest Monarch IMHO. She certainly eclipses Queen Victoria who retired into her widow's weeds as the Widow of Windsor when Prince Albert died. The one blip as some-one said in another thread was when Diana died but she had grown up with her father as the King when Edward 8th abdicated and all that entailed and it would have been instilled in her what "duty" meant from a very young age and with the fact the Queen Mum never forgave David and Wallis really, for almost destroying the throne and blaming them for King George's early death.

Although I know the movie The Queen was basically fictional as far as the way they laid out the story, I think the essence of what happened in that week was there and I didn't see her as "backing down" as it were but acknowledging that maybe how she handled it hadn't been correct and rectifying the situation.

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, governor general, julia gillard, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii