The Queen and Australia: Residences, Governor-General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder how the Australian peoplemight feel if Charles & Camilla made a trip to Australia soon, in the aftermath of the fires. Do you think it is worth the PR effort?

I think a visit by HRH the Prince of Wales, at a later date, would be a very nice gesture, personally. I do believe any such visit would require an invitation from either the state or federal government, though now would not be the appropriate time for any such undertaking.

Given Charles' history with the State of Victoria, I think it only natural that he, of any representative of the Crown (not forgoing the GG), should visit the devestated regions.

As for Camilla, she's not someone who'll ever have much to do with Australia and has no history with the continent, unlike her husband or predecessor. As her husbands wife, she has every right to accompany him, and I'm sure she'd be nothing less than empathetic with those she meets, but I don't know if it would really be worth her accompanying him on any such trip to be honest.

Possibly any such request (which may not even eventuate) for a royal presence would be of a single invitation. Maybe just leave it to Charles.

I agree that if any member of the RF was to come it should be the Prince of Wales but I would expect him to bring his wife and be disappointed if he didn't.

His previous wife only had any connection to this country because she married him so his present wife may be able to create a connection herself.

After the Ash Wednesday fires Charles and Diana did make a visit to the areas devastated, but that was an additon to an already planned trip.

Personally I don't expect that either the Victorian or Commonwealth governments would feel the need to send an invitation. Both are Labor governments and believe that an Australian should be Head of State so wouldn't see a need for a foreigner to come here on this occasion.

More likely to invite the Crown Princess of Denmark as she was born here.

Last edited by a moderator:
His previous wife only had any connection to this country because she married him so his present wife may be able to create a connection herself.

I fear it would be a rather pointless endeavour at this stage, unfortunately. I can't invision many Australian's according Camilla the same interest or favour they did Diana...rightly or wrongly, no matter the situation at hand. Then again, they've been married since 2005 and any 'connection' that would have wished to have been made, would/should have already been enacted by now. Personally, I don't think a time of crisis a very appropriate time to initiate a PR ploy and one can't help but think that's largely what it would be. Only, and only if Charles wishes to visit because it's of interest to him, should he accept any possible (however unlikely) request to do so.

Personally I don't expect that either the Victorian or Commonwealth governments would feel the need to send an invitation. Both are Labor governments and believe that an Australian should be Head of State so wouldn't see a need for a foreigner to come here on this occasion.

I tend to agree.

More likely to invite the Crown Princess of Denmark as she was born here.

Perhaps in a year or so could the Crown Princess of Denmark make an official visit, though in no way could HRH be considered a likely representative on behalf of the Queen of Australia, and ultimately, it is EIIR Commonwealth, and not that of Margrethe II.

I didn't suggest that the Crown Princess of Denmark would be representing the Queen of Australia but rather that, because she was born in Australia, she could be invited if either governments decided that a royal was to be asked.

I understand, but my point was that Mary is the Crown Princess of an entirely different Commonwealth. The fact HRH was Australian should not enter the equation this time around. A visit, if by any royal, should be undertaken by a senior representative of the Australian Crown first and foremost (GG aside). Not the Danish.

With the caveat of not being Aussie and watching from afar, I think a trip by C&C to Australia in 3-4 months from now would go some distance. The Queen remains the head of state of Australia for now, and as his heir, I think it is only right for Charles to visit. Camilla should go to, as she has not been to Australia as his wife. There is nothing to hide, and whilst Camilla and Diana comparisons are inevitable everywhere, we have seen Camilla woo the American people.... I am sure the trip would be well received.

The likeliness of a visit really is quite slim I think. Possible, but not incredibly likely I'd imagine.

The Queen would be welcome with open arms. Without a doubt having the Queen of Australia visit would be well recieved though any such visit will not happen. Any visit undertaken by the Prince of Wales given his history with the State of Victoria would I'm sure be understood and acknowledged. Though as for the Duchess, I just don't invision her attendance to be of any real comfort given there is no relationship between Australia and Camilla. As I said I'm certain HRH would be entirely empathetic and sweet, but visiting just because one's husband does serves little purpose.

Woo the Australian public? I think you'll find the Australian public will have very little time for such 'relationship building' with a lady who is an entirely unkown and who has never even visited this country. Infact, Camilla isn't even printed on the front of our major magazines because sales are anticipated to weaken if she is. My sister in-law, who works for the Australian Women's Weekly wouldn't even dream of suggesting HRH be printed on the cover (not that she's that high up to do so).

Thats not to say that the Duchess wouldn't think the situation just awful and tragic. I'm sure she does. But people would question why now, if she did accompany her husband.

All in all, Charles would be best advised to make a lone visit if, at any stage, it is deemed appropriate.

I think you'll find the Australian public will have very little time for such 'relationship building' with a lady who is an entirely unkown and who has never even visited this country.

One has to start somewhere. Of course Camilla is unknown, because she has noty travelled to Australia since the wedding. IMO, little harm from taking her along!

And yet trips to the USA (a non Commonwealth country) were a forefront for the couple. Have they not also visited Canada? If they cared about any such relationship, it would have been visible by now. Evidently there's been no interest and I don't expect that to change.

IMO, and as much as I like the Duchess of Cornwall, it would be pointless bringing her along.

If they cared about any such relationship, it would have been visible by now.
Possibly, but bear in mind that any visit could only happen at the invitation of either the Federal or a State government. Charles may have been itching at the bit to come to Australia, with or without his wife. Or he may not have been interested. We simply don't know.

HM the Queen has sent condolences and charity...we've heard nothing from Clarence House which to be honest is rather dissapointing. I mean, ultimately it is the Queen we'd expect to have heard from, first and foresmost. But an expression of condolence wouldn't go astray from HRH either, imo. Especially if his presence is neither sought or offered.

T'is true we don't know, but i'd make a hefty wager on it.

Is the protocol that only HM sends condolences? I can't think of a case, at least recently, when Prince Charles sent a message.:flowers:

Linked by Skydragon

Prince Charles has offered his sympathy to the victims of the Victorian bushfires.

Prince Charles 'horrified' by' Vic bushfires - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Having just seen the Prince of Wales speak of the devestation on the news, I am pleased HRH took the time to disclose his thoughts and deepest sympathies. Reflecting upon his own time here in '66', he certainly expressed a genuine understanding of just just how effected the terrain must be and the tragedy of lost lives.

I know I appreciated his warm words.

As I was driving home this afternoon the ABC had a phone in on the question of whether or not Charles should come to pay respects. The overwhelming consensus of those who were able to get on (about half a dozen - yeah I know a huge number and definitely representative of the Australian population;)) no way with a couple saying maybe but no Camilla.

Just thought I would share.

Where does this reluctance come from, do you think? I confess that I don't know all I should regarding the Australian affinity for members of the BRF.

It's been brewing for the past 30 or so years, Kimebear.

The Monarchy is largely viewed in Australia as an entirely foreign institution which has very little place in an ever evolving Australia. As much as the Queen is respected and warmly thought of, by monarchists and republicans alike, most see a foreign head of state as as being an imperial relic when it comes down to it.

The 'baby boomers' are particularly anti monarchy and the ensuing generations would be hard pressed to even know who the Queen was. They just have such little relevance for a country on the other side of the world. A visit every 5 to 10 years doesn't make the grade and in many ways, it's foolish to expect that it should.

Certainly the Queen has served this country with such ardour, and it is for that reason, that most feel it only right to reciprocate our thanks and admiration by retaining the Crown until she passes. When she does, the wheels will be well set in motion.

I think Madame Royale has summed it up well.

I would, however, add that ABC listeners are likely to have a bit of a pink tinge (i.e. be left wing politically) and be predisposed to republican points of view, but that the Camilla factor is more likely to be personal than political.

ETA I just realised what I said about ABC listeners could be taken to be insulting, and that certainly wasn't my intention. :flowers: I listen to the ABC. The ABC has intelligent and thought-provoking programs on a wide range of subjects.

Last edited:
I think the wheels will be put in motion much sooner than the death of the Queen, unless you see her dying in the next couple of years. If K Rudd wins the next election I would expect the republic to be back on the agenda in that term of office, if not sooner.

It is Labor Party policy and the Leader of the Opposition is also a Republican. As we currently have many other issues such as massive fire damage, floods covering 2/3 of the second largest state, an economy in poor health etc it probably isn't a good time to raise the issue but then again it would be a good diversion from the real problems of the country so a plebiscite on the simple question of whether or not we want a republic could be put at the same time as the next election, next year.

Malcolm Turnbull, Federal Opposition leader and former frontman of the Australian Republican movement, himself conceeded of late, that it's very unlikely Australia would abolish the monarchy under the reign of EIIR.

I highly doubt we'll be witnessing any political transition while Elizabeth.R. is alive.

Queen's death will ignite republic vote in Oz: says Malcolm Turnbull

Queen's death will ignite republic vote in Oz: says Malcolm Turnbull | Top News

I am aware of that but I still don't think that we can just wait for about another 20 years or so.

I do believe that the demand will be there much earlier than that.

The monarchy has no relevance to the majority of Australians now and that will only grow as each state governor and the present governor-general finish their terms.

When the present GG was appointed Kevin Rudd re-iterated the fact that it is Labor Party policy to have a republic at some time and there was even a hint that the present GG might be the last.

Mother of five named new Governor-General - find career advice, review employment news and search for jobs at careerone.com.au

New Governor-General Quentin Bryce a win for girl power | National News | News.com.au

In both these articles leading Labor people - K Rudd and Ms Bligh mention that it is Labor Party policy to have Australia become a republic. It is just a matter of time.

As a diversion from real problems it could even come onto the agenda sooner rather than later, in my opinion.

Just because the leader of the opposition says it want happen in the present reign doesn't mean that if the government makes the proposal Turnbull would turn his back on the movement he supported for so long and go against it. It is not up to the opposition to determine policy but the government and the government is Labor.

The Monarchy may not have any relevance to the majority of Australians now, but since it does not interfere with the way we live our lives on a day to day basis it's a case of out of sight, out of mind, until some politician brings it up and the republicans come out of the woodwork. It will only become an issue if the politicians make it an issue.

The Princess Royal will represent the Queen at the Memorial Service in Melbourne on Sunday and tour fire-affected areas on Monday.
See the Princess Royal current events thread.

I hope there is another Royal Visit soon. It's important that those living away from the UK but still under the Queen have regular access to her and her family.

I hope there is another Royal Visit soon. It's important that those living away from the UK but still under the Queen have regular access to her and her family.

I doubt if the Queen will come again.

It is also up to the government to send an invitation and I can't really seeing a Labour government inviting any royals to visit.

It might be many years before any make an official visit again - Charles seems to be concentrating on the Middle East and the Muslim world, Andrew on Trade and we don't seem to do as much trade with Britain anymore, Edward with the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme so maybe he will come again to award some Gold Awards and Anne with Save the Children. Of course, things like the bushfires see a representative sent for a flying visit but a full on visit - I don't know if we will ever see one again - at least until after we become a republic.

They're kicking us out of the nest. :cry:

I doubt if the Queen will come again.

I don't. Infact, I think it very likely HM will visit again before the end of her reign, either as Queen of Australia or Queen in general. When? I of course can't say, but I think it very unlikely that she wouldn't again visit.

She's set to visit Canada again next year; five years after her previous visit. HM last visit was in 2006 for the Commonwealth Games, in Melbourne. I think it forseeable that within the next two years we could again see a visit by the Queen (A possible Diamond Jubilee tour being one possibility).

I don't. Infact, I think it very likely HM will visit again before the end of her reign, either as Queen of Australia or Queen in general. When? I of course can't say, but I think it very unlikely that she wouldn't again visit.

She's set to visit Canada again next year; five years after her previous visit. HM last visit was in 2006 for the Commonwealth Games, in Melbourne. I think it forseeable that within the next two years we could again see a visit by the Queen (A possible Diamond Jubilee tour being one possibility).

The main reason I don't see her coming is her age and the attitude of the Commonwealth government.

She has visited Canada more often than Australia throughout her reign e.g. she was there in 2002 and in 2005 but in that same span she has been here once. Already since 2000 the royal family have visited Canada 32 times and during her reign the Queen has visited 21 times with a total of 158 visits by members of the royal family with many visits by someone every year.

The Queen has visited Australia a total of 15 times with a lot fewer visits since the mid-80s as the call for a republic grew and usually then for a specific purpose. A total of 29 royal visits throughout her reign.

These figures suggest that the distance has a great deal to do with royal visits - they can get to Canada far more quickly then here and do drop in for a few days quite often.

Canada has a royal visits by a member of the royal family every year and usually multiple visits whereas we barely average one every two years.

I don't see PM Rudd inviting the Queen at all particularly as he does want to take us to a new referendum, at some stage (although he has said not during this term which ends next year). I don't see her coming before that and I do see us voting again on that issue either next year, when we have the General Election as it will cut down the cost, or in 2011 or 2012. If that is the case no tour by her until after that.

The British royals do seem to be leaving us be because they know that the majority of Australians, according to the polls that I have seen, when simply asked 'Do you think Australia should be a republic' say Yes and the RF is committed to not appearing to interfere in the democratic process. A high profile visit by the Queen could be construed as just that by some people.

I still don't see why The Queen or another member of the Royal Family can visit. She is still Head of State and should carry out official duties accordingly. Geogre Bush still acted as President right until January 21 and the Queen should do so until the Australian people decide otherwise

Anyone expecting to vote on a referendum either this year or next year is going to be disappointed.

A few weeks back the government released details of which of the 2020 Summit recommendations they were going to implement ( a vote on a refererdum was one, but I would point out none of the participants of the Summit were elected they were all chosen by the government so that recommendation isn't necessarily to be seen as a broad representative of people's views) The government is not going ahead with the recommendation from the Summit that Australian vote on a republican model ( there was no choice of, do you want a republic? but rather this model or that?)
Both Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnball ( leader of the opposition) have made public statements to the effect that they would not push for Australia to become republic during the current Queen's lifetime. Malcolm Turnball received criticism for his stance but as he pointed out no-one should question his republican credentials. ( for non-Australians he was the head of the Republican movement leading up to the last referendum) Both major political parties have pushed aside the whole republic issue, also pointing out that in this economic situation it was not a major priority.

As far as British royals visiting Australia, during the late 1990s while the republican debate was on they deliberately chose not to come to Australia lest they were seen as becoming involved in an Australian political issue.

Since 2000, a member of the BRF has been in Australia nearly every year, this year saw the Duke of Gloucester, but they receive either no, or very little press so it appears that no royals visit. The Duke of Kent, Andrew's been here twice, Anne for Save the Children, Edward did a 2 week visit, Charles did a major visit just before his wedding to Camilla, that did get a lot of press, the others didn't.
Even if the Australian government don't issue an invitation, other organisations do. The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester were invited by organisations they are patron of, State governments can issue invitations as well.

Back
Top Bottom