The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

ninemsn

Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd says another referendum on whether Australia should become a republic will be held if Labor wins office.

Republic referendum is on cards: Rudd

Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

Hello everyone,

I've studied Law and I fail to understand why so many people are Republicans when we are a completely independent country legally. Many of them have an Irish background or they are immigrants and I understand their views to some extent but I don't understand people with a British background wanting Australia to be a republic.

Many people dislike the idea of Prince Charles being King and Camilla becoming Queen but if they're trying to be loyal to the memory of Princess Diana I think that they are very sadly mistaken. I am absolutely sure that she would have wanted Prince William to be King!

Best Regards,
Attaining Grace

Lisa-Anne Sanderson Writer and Editor - Writing and editing by experienced freelancer
bookaddiction

Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Aristocracy

I think that PW really doesn't want to be G-G at all but it's been jumped at by the Republican press. I am an Australian and I would be perfectly happy to have him as G-G myself, but I can see that this would ruin the argument (with which I certainly agree) that our G-G is our Head of State and is an Australian.

Best Regards,
Attaining Grace
Old 09-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57 View Post
I think that you and I agree on the problems of our education system in this area which is good to see in an obviously young person. Unfortunately I realise that what is right is not necessarily the way my fellow teachers teach. I too have teachers who refer to the Queen as a Pommy and the words used for the G-G have been pretty awful - especially from some of the student teachers I have had recently - but what can you expect when they are being taught that Gallipoli was a great victory for Australia!!!!
Hello Chrissy,

I should have put all these replies into one post, I'm sorry.

This surely can't be literally true! How could they possibly be taught that Gallipoli is a great victory? What are the textbooks that they are using?

Is this something to do with what they are learning about Anzac Day? Don't their teachers know their history?

I know that I was quite shocked when I talked about Captain Cook and said that he discovered Australia and my nephew said that I meant that Australia was 'invaded'. That isn't as bad as saying that Gallipoli was a victory, however!

Best Regards,
Lisa
Lisa-Anne Sanderson Writer and Editor - Writing and editing by experienced freelancer
bookaddiction
Old 09-15-2007, 03:54 AM
Majesty

It is a logical assumption considering that all that is compulsorily taught in NSW schools is that Australians fought at Gallipoli.
Then they are taught that we were on the winning side of the war.

The majority of students don't learn anything about Australians fighting in any other theatre of war in World War One or about fighting after 1915 so they assume that as we were on the winning side and aren't being taught about later campaigns then they assume that Gallipoli was a victory. The current textbooks used in NSW for the compulsory course doesn't mention anything about this.

I have just had another student teacher from Sydney university (the fourth in three years) who has told me the same thing. These are going to go out there and then teach this to young Australians.

Frankly I would like to make the compulsory course include all of World War One and World War Two (the compulsory course only has to study ONE campaign involving Australians in WWII so must students learn nothing about Aussies fighting against the Germans or in fact fighting anywhere except Kokada - makes it easy to teach kids that Britain 'deserted' us at Singapore as they don't get taught anything about the situation facing Britain in 1941 - 42.

I really fear for the future history knowledge of young Australians - it is so missing stuff but is so skewed as well (that is in states where it is taught at all!!).
Old 09-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Aristocracy

Hello Chrissy,

It's all very shocking. I remember that there was an argument not very long ago that history should be taught in chronological order - at least as much as possible! I was astonished that there was a great outcry about this because I agreed.

I studied history at school thirty years ago and I am not sure whether it was much better then. It was better but when I look back I have learned most of my knowledge of history from university and reading. The trouble was the curriculum. It was so strange and disjointed. One day we'd be learning about the French Revolution and the next day we would learn about the causes of the First World War.

I absolutely agree with you that students should do a compulsory course covering both wars. The whole way that history is taught is just crazy. If Labor gets in this will probably be even worse, although this is not the place for politics - this is my personal opinion.

Best Regards,
Lisa
Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 PM

Australia and the British royal family

Hello to you all.
I'm a photographer from London doing a piece on the relationship between British royalty and the Australian people. I'm on my way out to Sydney in December and would like to find Royal supporters and enthusiasts to involve in the project. Any contacts to people, societies or associations in Australia would be greatly appreciated, so please help!
Thank you thank you
Chloe

{e-mail address removed - Elspeth}
Old 11-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

If anyone is interested in helping Chloe with this venture, please contact one of the British forum mods (especially Warren, our Australian mod ). I've removed her e-mail address, in accordance with our rules, but we can put you in touch with her. I'm sure, since we have quite a few Australian regulars here, we should be able to come up with something. Also, of course, please feel free to contact Chloe by private message.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Nobility

Queen Mum's fashion letter for auction

December 27, 2007 - 9:15PM

A letter written by the Queen Mother more than 80 years ago expressing concern over the high cost of fashion while looking for a new wardrobe to wear to Australia will be auctioned.

In the letter - dated September 27, 1926, and contained in the archive of court dressmakers Mme Handley Seymour - Queen Elizabeth, then the Duchess or York, asks the firm to examine her next bill before sending it as she thought some items in the previous one were "rather too expensive".

Queen Mum's fashion letter for auction - Breaking News - World - Breaking News
Old 04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I would think that if they don't want Charles after the death of his mother, why would they want to continue with a monarch at all?
We like the system of government its efficient.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Nobility

Here is a thought people could Australia not establish its own monarchy with its own King? That way we keep our system of government and have a resident Head of State Think about it its the perfect solution people Harry would be the perfect king for australia.!!!!
(where are the face thingys gone?)
Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Courtier

Undoubtedly, Harry has a certain insouciance which would be appealing to many Australians (myself included). I'm rather drawn to his rambunctious style, despite everything.

Sadly, however, he has little regard, notion, training or understanding of what a constitutional monarchy really means. This is not meant as any disparagement of him at all, but there's no possible way that he could replicate the prestige and honour that his grandmother has brought to her and our dignity as Australia's monarch. The Prince of Wales does know, I'm sure, and we can only hope that his genuine and admirable qualities help him to sustain the loss of his mother, so far as Australia is concerned, whenever that sorry event occurs.

My greatest anxiety has always been, and remains, that the late Princess Diana was so absolutely admired by so many Australians (me, too) that Charles' future as our King is considered uncertain. I say this as one who bears absolutely no animosity whatsoever towards the Duchess; quite the reverse, in fact.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Nobility

Thumbs up

Sorry I did not state my case clearly. Harry would be perfect as he would embody his mothers relaxed manner and continue his Grandmothers line to satisfy the traditionalists also he has had enough training not to scratch inconvienient body parts in public, could conduct an intelligent/intelligble conversation with another head of state/urbane and banal and yet would be fun enough, go get em enough, to appeal to the Australian people. Those who scream for a republic in Australia miss three vital elements of the Australian identity. Firstly we DO HAVE AN IDENITY, it is based on the people not on politicians. Secondly Australians generally regard politicians (quite rightly) as public servants, they are there to run the bloody country not represent it. They may sleep with who they like/drink/gamble if they wish as long as they do the job they are paid to we will vote for the bastards until we wish a change!!! Last but not least, if Australians had to elect their own head of state the person who would best represent them would never be so egotistical to stand for election. They would have better things to do with their time and would never consider themselves worthy of the honour (no fair dinkum aussie would apply for the bloody job). We will end up in a Republic with some jumped up bugger who knows jack****, thinks he's the bloody anointed and embarresses the hell out of us!!!! We do not and have never needed government to identify or define us! We are ourselves and unique. Harry would bumble along with the Aussie people make friends and at the end of the day if the government wasnt doing its job he would have the balls to sack them, call a general election and the decision is left to the Australian people, (its called a democracy). Laugh if you will its a great solution, you worry about dignity, send him to 'king school' a few weeks working on a building site getiing to know the labour movement, take him inland to work as a shearer/trucker/fencer, let him spend a week or two with the inland aborigines and a few weeks down a mine shaft, it is hard not to love Australia impossible if you have really seen it. Take him out to one of the small communities for ANZAC day where the whole community is only 300 people and there are 400 names on the memorial anybody would raise their head with dignity and pride.
'we are unstinting in generosity short in money, great in people, poor in numbers but never ever let it be said that we let a mate down' (quote from a grave of a vietnam vet in western Queensland.)
Now I have the faces back I cant find one to represent what I feel. I dread the day that we have a politician as a head of state and will fight against it as long as I can. Australians employ them to work for us not to define us. The Queen has been very convenient, dignified polite and a long way away letting us get on with our lives and do our own thing. Legally she could intervene at any time in our government and overturn legislation but custom prevents this. Replace her tomorrow with a President, they will need the same powers but there will be no custom to prevent them interfering in the government and the management of Australia. We will need to pay for their election/upkeep/protection and protection for them as ex-president. The U.S.A (god bless our mates) pays for the secret service to protct every presidential candidate/former president and I believe former candidates (last fact I am not sure on may only be one special case) this is not good economic policy/rational thinking for Australia. We currently share the cost of our head of state with other nations (ok we watch our money) not that I would ever call the Queen of England cheap she is cost effective yes?
Time to think as Australians and not look to other nations for answers but come up with our own!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Nobility

O kay so you guys are saying Harry would be a good king for Australia, but what is wrong with William he is the one who is going to be king anyways. What is wrong with him?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry? King of Australia?.lol. Hell no...

With any luck Her Majesty The Queen shall be the last monarch of the Commonwealth of Australia for she is irreplaceable and her manner of duty toward this continent, steadfast and unmatchable.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
O kay so you guys are saying Harry would be a good king for Australia, but what is wrong with William he is the one who is going to be king anyways. What is wrong with him?
I think its only me saying it But one of the main arguments for a republic is to have a resident head of state and Wills has job in England already.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Harry? King of Australia?.lol. Hell no...

With any luck Her Majesty The Queen shall be the last monarch of the Commonwealth of Australia for she is irreplaceable and her manner of duty toward this continent, steadfast and unmatchable.
I agree she has been great I am looking for an option that would continue some traditions and retain our system of government and silence the republican movement thats all.
May I ask why not ? I know its a little out there but why not??
Old 04-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm pretty certain such a move would only enfuriate the Republican movement, not silence it.

As for traditions? When it comes to the Queen of Australia, we have none. If any, they are of a political matter (the GG, State Governors, Order of Australia etc), but other than that there are no traditions between the Crown and Australia as far as I can recall.

The institution, apart from the Queen's own persistence to make good her involvement in and for, Australia, has no relevance to the current day Australian (The majority of, anyhow), or indeed our day to day lives. The monarchy is an Emperial relic and we are not a colony.

To suggest her grandson (and not even 'the' heir) become heir to an Australian throne in his own right is a total disregard of where Australia is and should be headed as an indapendant sovereign Commonwealth.

To be graced every 5 or so years with a visit by our Head of State is not something, I myself, am terribly happy about. An Australia Head of State should, I believe, reside in this country and consequently by an Australian.

In saying that I'm quite happy to see out The Queen's reign, as I'm sure a great many Australian's are.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale;7501
An Australia Head of State should, I believe, reside in this country and consequently by an Australian.

In saying that I'm quite happy to see out [I
The Queen's[/I] reign, as I'm sure a great many Australian's are.
I agree that Australia would probably better off with a resident Head of State however that person must be independant of any political party or they become a puppet of the government and not a check upon it. The reserve powers of the Governor General may need to be exercised again (however we all feel about 1975 ) we may have another crisis. I was suggesting an alternative (ok I know its out there ) that would give those within Australia who do feel a great affection and still feel ties to England a sense of continuity. It would also give us a resident independant Head of State that would satisfy many others who like our system of government but wish to no longer share a Head of State with other nations. I do believe that many within the Republican movement in Australia fall into the last category though you are right about the others they would be in absolute fits I have a nasty sense of humour and would love to see their reaction if it was put forward as a serious proposal I just cannot see any politician within Australia past/present that would be a suitable Head of State and since they are all affiliated with different parties at the end of the day they would have a bias in office. Many Australians are quite happy for HM to see out her reign but even though I personally have great respect for the Prince of Wales I dont think he or even William would appeal to the Australian people or even myself as a Head of State. Just my opinion of course.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is my third attempt to post a reply to this thread. Both previous drafts were intercepted by my computer, which refused to send them. I'll try to keep this one short so maybe I'll be able to sneak it through.

I have enjoyed kbear's recent posts very much, particularly 104.

One of the great things about having the British Monarch as our Monarch and Head of State is that HM is way over on the other side of the world and has so much to do in her role as Queen of Britain, etc. that she doesn't have the time or inclination to interfere in what's going on here unless we expressly ask her to do so. Her representative does all the ceremonial stuff we need done. We've got a good system that works well. Last thing we need is a popularly elected politician as Head of State. He'd start to think he was important and politicians can be dangerous when they start to get that sort of thought in their heads. They're here to run our country for us, nothing more.

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, governor general, julia gillard, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii