The Queen and Australia: Residences, Governor-General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a thought people could Australia not establish its own monarchy with its own King? That way we keep our system of government and have a resident Head of State Think about it its the perfect solution people Harry would be the perfect king for australia.!!!!
(where are the face thingys gone?)

Undoubtedly, Harry has a certain insouciance which would be appealing to many Australians (myself included). I'm rather drawn to his rambunctious style, despite everything.

Sadly, however, he has little regard, notion, training or understanding of what a constitutional monarchy really means. This is not meant as any disparagement of him at all, but there's no possible way that he could replicate the prestige and honour that his grandmother has brought to her and our dignity as Australia's monarch. The Prince of Wales does know, I'm sure, and we can only hope that his genuine and admirable qualities help him to sustain the loss of his mother, so far as Australia is concerned, whenever that sorry event occurs.

My greatest anxiety has always been, and remains, that the late Princess Diana was so absolutely admired by so many Australians (me, too) that Charles' future as our King is considered uncertain. I say this as one who bears absolutely no animosity whatsoever towards the Duchess; quite the reverse, in fact.

Sorry I did not state my case clearly. Harry would be perfect as he would embody his mothers relaxed manner and continue his Grandmothers line to satisfy the traditionalists also he has had enough training not to scratch inconvienient body parts in public, could conduct an intelligent/intelligble conversation with another head of state/urbane and banal and yet would be fun enough, go get em enough, to appeal to the Australian people. Those who scream for a republic in Australia miss three vital elements of the Australian identity. Firstly we DO HAVE AN IDENITY, it is based on the people not on politicians. Secondly Australians generally regard politicians (quite rightly) as public servants, they are there to run the bloody country not represent it. They may sleep with who they like/drink/gamble if they wish as long as they do the job they are paid to we will vote for the bastards until we wish a change!!! Last but not least, if Australians had to elect their own head of state the person who would best represent them would never be so egotistical to stand for election. They would have better things to do with their time and would never consider themselves worthy of the honour (no fair dinkum aussie would apply for the bloody job). We will end up in a Republic with some jumped up bugger who knows jack****, thinks he's the bloody anointed and embarresses the hell out of us!!!! We do not and have never needed government to identify or define us! We are ourselves and unique. Harry would bumble along with the Aussie people make friends and at the end of the day if the government wasnt doing its job he would have the balls to sack them, call a general election and the decision is left to the Australian people, (its called a democracy). Laugh if you will its a great solution, you worry about dignity, send him to 'king school' a few weeks working on a building site getiing to know the labour movement, take him inland to work as a shearer/trucker/fencer, let him spend a week or two with the inland aborigines and a few weeks down a mine shaft, it is hard not to love Australia impossible if you have really seen it. Take him out to one of the small communities for ANZAC day where the whole community is only 300 people and there are 400 names on the memorial anybody would raise their head with dignity and pride.
'we are unstinting in generosity short in money, great in people, poor in numbers but never ever let it be said that we let a mate down' (quote from a grave of a vietnam vet in western Queensland.)
Now I have the faces back I cant find one to represent what I feel. I dread the day that we have a politician as a head of state and will fight against it as long as I can. Australians employ them to work for us not to define us. The Queen has been very convenient, dignified polite and a long way away letting us get on with our lives and do our own thing. Legally she could intervene at any time in our government and overturn legislation but custom prevents this. Replace her tomorrow with a President, they will need the same powers but there will be no custom to prevent them interfering in the government and the management of Australia. We will need to pay for their election/upkeep/protection and protection for them as ex-president. The U.S.A (god bless our mates) pays for the secret service to protct every presidential candidate/former president and I believe former candidates (last fact I am not sure on may only be one special case) this is not good economic policy/rational thinking for Australia. We currently share the cost of our head of state with other nations (ok we watch our money) not that I would ever call the Queen of England cheap she is cost effective yes:flowers:?
Time to think as Australians and not look to other nations for answers but come up with our own!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
O kay so you guys are saying Harry would be a good king for Australia, but what is wrong with William he is the one who is going to be king anyways. What is wrong with him?

Harry? King of Australia?.lol. Hell no...:lol::lol:

With any luck Her Majesty The Queen shall be the last monarch of the Commonwealth of Australia for she is irreplaceable and her manner of duty toward this continent, steadfast and unmatchable.

Last edited:
O kay so you guys are saying Harry would be a good king for Australia, but what is wrong with William he is the one who is going to be king anyways. What is wrong with him?
I think its only me saying it:D But one of the main arguments for a republic is to have a resident head of state and Wills has job in England already.

Harry? King of Australia?.lol. Hell no...:lol::lol:

With any luck Her Majesty The Queen shall be the last monarch of the Commonwealth of Australia for she is irreplaceable and her manner of duty toward this continent, steadfast and unmatchable.
I agree she has been great I am looking for an option that would continue some traditions and retain our system of government and silence the republican movement thats all:angel:.
May I ask why not ? I know its a little out there but why not??

I'm pretty certain such a move would only enfuriate the Republican movement, not silence it.

As for traditions? When it comes to the Queen of Australia, we have none. If any, they are of a political matter (the GG, State Governors, Order of Australia etc), but other than that there are no traditions between the Crown and Australia as far as I can recall.

The institution, apart from the Queen's own persistence to make good her involvement in and for, Australia, has no relevance to the current day Australian (The majority of, anyhow), or indeed our day to day lives. The monarchy is an Emperial relic and we are not a colony.

To suggest her grandson (and not even 'the' heir) become heir to an Australian throne in his own right is a total disregard of where Australia is and should be headed as an indapendant sovereign Commonwealth.

To be graced every 5 or so years with a visit by our Head of State is not something, I myself, am terribly happy about. An Australia Head of State should, I believe, reside in this country and consequently by an Australian.

In saying that I'm quite happy to see out The Queen's reign, as I'm sure a great many Australian's are.

Madame Royale;7501 An Australia Head of State should said:
The Queen's[/I] reign, as I'm sure a great many Australian's are.
I agree that Australia would probably better off with a resident Head of State however that person must be independant of any political party or they become a puppet of the government and not a check upon it. The reserve powers of the Governor General may need to be exercised again (however we all feel about 1975 ) we may have another crisis. I was suggesting an alternative (ok I know its out there :ROFLMAO:) that would give those within Australia who do feel a great affection and still feel ties to England a sense of continuity. It would also give us a resident independant Head of State that would satisfy many others who like our system of government but wish to no longer share a Head of State with other nations. I do believe that many within the Republican movement in Australia fall into the last category though you are right about the others they would be in absolute fits:bangin::boxing::censored: I have a nasty sense of humour and would love to see their reaction if it was put forward as a serious proposal:lol: I just cannot see any politician within Australia past/present that would be a suitable Head of State and since they are all affiliated with different parties at the end of the day they would have a bias in office. Many Australians are quite happy for HM to see out her reign but even though I personally have great respect for the Prince of Wales I dont think he or even William would appeal to the Australian people or even myself as a Head of State. Just my opinion of course.

This is my third attempt to post a reply to this thread. Both previous drafts were intercepted by my computer, which refused to send them. I'll try to keep this one short so maybe I'll be able to sneak it through.:rolleyes:

I have enjoyed kbear's recent posts very much, particularly 104.

One of the great things about having the British Monarch as our Monarch and Head of State is that HM is way over on the other side of the world and has so much to do in her role as Queen of Britain, etc. that she doesn't have the time or inclination to interfere in what's going on here unless we expressly ask her to do so. Her representative does all the ceremonial stuff we need done. We've got a good system that works well. Last thing we need is a popularly elected politician as Head of State. He'd start to think he was important and politicians can be dangerous when they start to get that sort of thought in their heads. :D They're here to run our country for us, nothing more.

:ausflag:

Thank you maam someone gets where I am coming from though in MO to stand for election as Head of State the bugger would have to have an ego bigger than Australia itself. Like I said previously Australians need to think outside the box. Be ourselves and not look to other nations for blueprint of an upgrade. It must be a upgrade not a trade in to keep up with the 'Joneses' we are an original nation, it can be original to stay as you are or to change for the better (please god if we change let it be for the better).

smh

Rudd meets the Queen...and talks about weather

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Queen Elizabeth have discussed the unseasonally cold British weather and his travel plans during an official meeting at Windsor Castle this morning.

Rudd meets the Queen ... and talks about weather - World - smh.com.au

(I noted Her Majesty wore her Australian white and yellow diamond wattle brooch)

Last edited:
It's just been announced that Australia is to have its first female Governor-General, Her Excellency, Quentin Bryce, Governor of Queensland.

The Age - World News, Finance News & Breaking News - Melbourne, Australia

Really, I couldn't be more pleased. Her Excellency is a perfect choice. She's a gifted lawyer and academic, a fine community contributor and human rights advocate, and, it's said, is the most elegantly groomed grandmother in the country! Well done, PM! And many thanks to Her Majesty for her approval of this most excellent appointment.

You bet me too it, Polly...:D

I'm so delighted that Ms Quentin Bryce AC has been appointed to our Vice regal office.

I happened to meet Quentin in '06', and found her to be very charming and indeed, very elegant.

Last edited:
This is good news. Quentin Bryce is an excellent choice and is just the sort of person who should be Governor General, and president when we become a republic, which is why I could never vote in favour of a republic model that provided for an elected rather than appointed president.

I am not in favour of Australia becoming a republic at all. We are legally independent and I see no point in it whatsoever. Monarchies have been more stable historically than republics with less civil wars which is a good reason to stay the way that we are.

I agree with you, Roslyn. Politicians want us to become a republic so that they can have even more power.

Oh, she isn't GG just yet..hehe

I don't think it's a diamond ring, Australian. More like one CP Mary would wear...;)

Oh yeah your right Madame Royale, i just zoomed it and its not. I must need glasses.:)

She is a good choice for GG for Qus IMO good luck to her

theage.com.au

Australia will be a republic within two years if delegates to the 2020 summit in Canberra have their way.

Republic by 2010, summit told - Breaking News - National - Breaking News

My say:
Ambitious indeed, and the summit istelf has been received with mixed responses. One big thinking tank, though to some a piece of political comedy.

As for the Republic, it's been suggested that within a two year time frame ties with the Crown are dissolved, whilst retaining the GG for a further 5 years while the question on what type of governing body is wanted to establish an entirely new form of government, is put to the Australian people.

So what is that, a span of seven years in limbo with the Governor General acting as an interim Head of State?

Unquestionably, this is an issue of ENORMOUS importance and requires every bit the dedication and attention of all Australian's and parliamentary officials. To be honest, I'd find any transition during the reign of ERII to be really quite unforunate, but that's just my humble opinion.

Have your say!!! Have it my God I will have to live permanantly in Australia again (there goes my skin) to do my utmost to delay /prevent this. WHY ? WHY? We have such an efficient system compared to the rest of the world why change a streamlined efficient model for a leaky oil eating monster?? Can i interest anyone at all in the idea of our own moanrchy???????????????
HARRY FOR KING!! HARRY FOR KING!!!:ROFLMAO::whistling::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::flowers::flowers: OK it looks like for techinical reasons I am silent for a while at least in this forum. One quick battle in local politics to fight while my computer is out of action and I will be back so lay on the posts so I have something worthwhile to read when I come back. The greatest opponent of democracy is apathy.

I know a lot of people that are quite happy for Australia to be still apart of the commonwealth.

I don't think we will become a republic while the Queen is still on the throne, but after that I don't know with Prince Charles.

Well, I'd like to retain the Queen as our Head of State but if HM lives a further 15, 20 years then I dare say the likeliness that Australia had become a republic in that time, is really very likely indeed.

HARRY FOR KING!!

You really are a republican's dream!!!

Despondently, I'm convinced that Australia will become a republic, sooner rather than later. Hitherto, I thought that we were secure, at least until HM's demise; now, I'm not too sure.

Of course, added to the, not altogether unreasonable wish, for many Australians to assert their sense of nationalism, there is the unpalatable undercurrent of resentment towards Charles and Camilla: well, Camilla, really. I think this attitude so wrong-headed and so devoid of rational explanation that I can barely bear to address it!

What 2020 confirmed was that there should first be a vote asking if Australia should become a republic - yes/no. This will carry, I'm sure. The follow-up question should only then address the form and manner of electing the President to avoid the confusion of the last vote. I am not confident that the Crown will win in these circumstances.

Whatever the outcome, there is absolutely no suggestion that Australia should or would leave the Commonwealth of Nations. That would be entirely unacceptable, in my opinion. If worst comes to worst, we should always be able to celebrate and remember that British law and governance allowed us our relatively easy life of comparative privilege, lack of want and need for most, and a parliamentary and judicial system which is second to none.

Well I hope it never happens in my lifetime (look at my user name the numbers will give you a hint as to how old I am :whistling:) and quite frankly there are much more important things on the agenda for the Prime Minister as far as I'm concerned than having Australia made a Republic

No wonder we rejected it last time who would want the "Old Boys" to elect a President from amongst their own:bang:

As for Camilla it was a breath of fresh air to find these forums and find there were people such as myself who really liked Camilla instead of her being "that woman" (with all the undercurrents that implies)as she is still referred to in Letters to the Editor.And of course No Idea and W..... Day continue to feed the Diana legend

I agree with you, Tinkerbell 1948.

Sadly, I think that we're on the losing team, this time. Nor is it a party-poltical issue, so far as I can tell. MPs, from all parties, seem to be confirmed in this project. That being so, I fear that the battle may well be lost already.

You're right, too, to defend HRH Camilla. She's done a great deal of good for the Throne and the heir, in my opinion.

Yes I guess you are right , John Howard was PM when we had the last one and had been for over 3 years

I've basically grown up with the RF, I am 11 months older than Charles so as a young child I was very impressed by the Movietone news as the picture theatre when the Queen was crowned. I was 6 I think when she toured the Empire (as it was back then ). Our tiny one teacher school made the trip to Lismore our nearest town (FNC of NSW ) for her visit. It just bucketed down with rain (prelude to one of our great floods) and Mum said we had to be in there at 6.00am.All the girls wore white dresses and we all had a flag to wave. It poured with rain so much that the car went past, the windows up and all steamed up and as a little girl I couldn't understand why I hadn't seen the Queen:ninja: I was sooo disappointed I remember being so envious of Anne and Charles having the Queen for their mother:ROFLMAO:

Then I remember the pledge we said every day, and Empire Day and the fireworks at night

I'm a hopeless case I'm afraid:lol:

And having said all that I think Quentin Bryce is an EXCELLENT choice for a G-G :lol:

No, you're not a 'hopeless case' at all.

The Crown, as exemplified by this particular and beloved Majesty, has been a boon and delight and a great asset to the Commonwealth of Australia. Many of us would wish to cling to Her Majesty....increasingly, it seems that it's not to be.

Still, always remember -

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

So hard to believe she was 26 when she took the throne that is only 4 years older than my daughter (who is in England right now :lol:) I told her before she left when my Mum was her age I was already 1 year old she can't even begin to imagine it :D

But you are right. Her Majesty will be remembered as the greatest Monarch IMHO. She certainly eclipses Queen Victoria who retired into her widow's weeds as the Widow of Windsor when Prince Albert died. The one blip as some-one said in another thread was when Diana died but she had grown up with her father as the King when Edward 8th abdicated and all that entailed and it would have been instilled in her what "duty" meant from a very young age and with the fact the Queen Mum never forgave David and Wallis really, for almost destroying the throne and blaming them for King George's early death.

Although I know the movie The Queen was basically fictional as far as the way they laid out the story, I think the essence of what happened in that week was there and I didn't see her as "backing down" as it were but acknowledging that maybe how she handled it hadn't been correct and rectifying the situation.

Back
Top Bottom