The Queen and Australia: Residences, Governor-General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, and it would be the safe and sure model. However, everything is on the back burner at the moment due to the pandemic etc. When the question of an Australian republic comes to the fore again, and it will, I’m not so sure that adherents of the US presidential system won’t pop their heads up once more.

Last edited:
Roslyn and Curryong are quite right. I might also add that I believe people here would also prefer to remain within the Commonwealth family, even if we do become a republic.

Many thanks for those posts in answer to my question.:flowers:

It's certainly an interesting topic. I fully understand why Australians might chose to replace the crown but it would still be sad to think our two countries (plus others) no longer had this symbolic link with each other.

Don’t know if this is the correct thread but today is a public holiday in Australia and so a long weekend for we Aussies to relax and enjoy.

Today the Queen’s Birthday Honours list was released (Australian Honours such as the Order of Australia, the AO.)

https://www.9news.com.au/national/q...cognised/15ed9ede-1835-47c9-b750-ffff996ca9ae

As might be expected most Covid several Health experts who were responsible for guiding their States through the pandemic in the past year were honoured. So was Carmen Lawrence (long retired but remembered by many as Australia’s first State Premier, Western Australia.) Also on the list Ash Barty the now retired female tennis player, and, though he died last March, the renowned cricketer Shane Warne.

Last edited:
:previous: The pedant in me feels compelled to point out that today is not the Queen's Birthday holiday in Queensland or in Western Australia. Since 2016 Queensland has celebrated the event on the first Monday in October, and in Western Australia the holiday is in late September/early October. :auflag:

Back
Top Bottom