The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Agree there is lots to sort out. I wish our pollies would just get on with doing their job and the here and now. Daniel Andrews is joke for Victoria billions of dollars down the drain empty hospital floors etc etc but let's throw in republic talk and it will all go away. The old " quick look over there"

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 01-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Agree there is lots to sort out. I wish our pollies would just get on with doing their job and the here and now. Daniel Andrews is joke for Victoria billions of dollars down the drain empty hospital floors etc etc but let's throw in republic talk and it will all go away. The old " quick look over there"

Yeah, that’s an old trick that the BRF is used to. Every time Spain’s economy gets in the dumps their politicians say “look over there, at Gibraltar!”.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

It's "Australia Day" in Oz today - that's why the Republican Movement brought this out now.

I've had the TV on for a couple of hours and there has been no mention of this latest call.

But, there has been good coverage of the little fur seal living on the steps of the Opera House here in Sydney.

(The steps lead down into the water - and the little creature has been living there for the last couple of months since Miley Cyrus' concert. A music-lover?)

Hope this helps posters in other lands get an insight into what a non-issue this is here.

Even our media don't seem to be interested - let alone the general public.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't mind a residence just outside the Opera House. A prime position, music on tap, a nice place to sun yourself, your own swimming pool, this seal has it made!
Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

The press covered on the morning shows yesterday so no need to cover it again today.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

If one day's coverage is all the Repubican's can muster Iluvberite, then they don't seem to be driving any sort of reform. There will be another "Australia Day" next year though.

He/she must know it has it made as you say Curryong - no sign of him/her moving on anytime soon.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

It only needs one day coverage as people are now talking about it again - my place of work yesterday that was the only conversation. I was at an Australia Day dawn BBQ this morning with some other friends and again - only topic of conversation was the republic. I am giving an Australia Day talk at a lunch later today and the organiser rang me last night to change the topic to the 'republic and what it will mean for Australia'.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen and Australia: Residences, Governor-General, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It only needs one day coverage as people are now talking about it again - my place of work yesterday that was the only conversation. I was at an Australia Day dawn BBQ this morning with some other friends and again - only topic of conversation was the republic. I am giving an Australia Day talk at a lunch later today and the organiser rang me last night to change the topic to the 'republic and what it will mean for Australia'.

I haven't heard one person talking about it. Lots of other issues been talked about

Old 01-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Neither have I, with the exception of myself and son who had a short chat when this latest news broke. Plenty of talk about the economy at the moment though, among friends and acquaintances, including the costs of sending children to school, and what will possibly be in the next budget.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Rather hard to find, but here is a report from BBC News:

Australia republic move: Leaders begin push - BBC News
Old 01-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

The PM, Malcolm Turnbull, has stated that no referendum will be held until after the Queen's death. If she lives as long as her mother, that will have to be one long sustained Push by the politicians!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A country holds a referendum on an issue of crucial constitutional importance. Its proponents say they want to secure independence from an overbearing colonial overlord in London. The arguments are made, for and against. The whole affair is conducted with passion, for all accept that votes of such significance are rare things and cannot be held every other week. The phrase, “once in a generation” is intoned. Yet for all the campaign’s heat and light, the result, when it is declared, is a comfortable victory for the status quo: 55 per cent to 45 per cent.

This is not the Scottish independence referendum of 2014, though it could be. This is the Australian republican referendum of 1999, when the proposal to remove the Queen as head of state was solidly rejected by Australian voters.

In the years since the subject has faded from view. But now, thanks to the activism of an Australian rugby star, it is back on the agenda. Peter FitzSimons, a former lock for the national team who is now chairman of the Australian Republic Movement (ARM), has signed up the leader of every state and territory in Australia to support the idea of a republic. They add their voices to that of Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, himself a former head of ARM. The political stars, in other words, seem aligned for a new plebiscite.

Except for one small detail: the sure and settled will of the people. Mr Turnbull skirts this by saying there are other more important issues at present. So while he might agitate for another referendum, he won’t stake his career on it. The reason is obvious – the dedication and service of the Queen are cherished by most Australians and he knows he would lose. Again. Nicola Sturgeon take note.
Australians want to keep the Queen - Telegraph
Old 01-27-2016, 02:33 AM
Aristocracy

I haven't heard anyone talking about it at work, on the train or the tram.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
I haven't heard anyone talking about it at work, on the train or the tram.

I haven't either not one of my friends has mentioned it. Maybe the posters who say that's all their friends are talking about have started the conversation and kept it going. Celebs will always jump in as they want the attention and anything they can tweet or put on Facebook is good for them. Half the time their tweets etc are done by their PA

Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Australians’ support for the monarchy has grown steadily since the 1999 republic referendum, showing the “folly” of previous predictions that constitutional change was inevitable, new research suggests.

A paper published in the Australian Journal of Political Science examines the shift in attitudes between the late 1960s and now, and helps to explain Malcolm Turnbull’s reluctance to champion the issue.
Read more: Australian support for monarchy has grown as debate for republic revived | UK news | The Guardian
Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Time to send the whole Cambridge family down under. Things will calm down.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

Things are already calm.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

The fiftieth anniversary of Australia changing it's currency from pounds, shillings and pence to dollars and cents is coming up.

There was much, much, uproar in the lead-up to the change when the then Prime Minister of Australia desired to name the new notes "Royals" - in honour of our ties to the throne and our historical connections.

If you thought any current debate about Oz going republic has stired things up, have a gander at the article below which is now online.

Nothing new under the sun as they say.

Sorry, I can't post links - "Before Harold Holt saw cents, there was a right royal runaround on route to dollar we call our own" by Richard Hughes.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The media made a fuss about it, but I don't think Menzies' suggestion of 'the Royal' was ever really taken seriously.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Nobility

May I be so bold as to add my support to many of the fine points made by my fellow Australians?
I was too young to vote in the 1999 Referendum, but would have voted 'No'. Should the question be asked again, I shall vote 'No', along with many other Australians. To be a monarchist is unfashionable and I always felt patronized when the question was raised and apparently learned figures would proclaim proudly that there were no more monarchists being born.

The most infuriating thing about the debate has always been the pathetic rhetoric, on both sides. Republicans and their fixation on it being time to say goodbye to 'Mother England', references to apron strings, standing on our own two feet, being ruled from abroad - all highly emotive, inaccurate nonsense.
The monarchist organisations failed to persuade the population in any meaningful way, other than warning against venturing into the unknown, but could have done so much more to demonstrate why our present constitutional arrangements are so good for Australia and quite frankly, give many Australians the right and privilege not to give a damn.

Practical/cosmetic matters such as the cost of minting coins, altering military and emergency services insignia or the National Flag often elicit attention and an opinion, but other than that, a great many of my friends, colleagues, university alumni or encountered strangers have rarely had an even vague notion about the central role and function of the Australian Crown in Australian life. How much better for our community if they did?! Much, I suspect.

The Sovereign/Head of State question is one of opinion. I am of the opinion that Her Majesty is our Sovereign, while Her Governor-General is our Head of State (in the broadly accepted use of the term in international politics). Others disagree and they're welcome to, but neither side can claim to be the author of absolute fact on this question.

The republican grumblings have always smacked of supposed intellectual superiority and elitism, often found in the fashionable inner suburbs of the cities. The arrogant assumption that everyone who isn't a paid-up member of the Country Women's Association, Australian Monarchist League or National Party must ipso facto be a republican is errant garbage.

There have been various inquiries into the possibility of achieving a republic whatever the cost in the years since the republic referendum. Were there barricades in Martin Place or Spring Street with a groundswell of troops rallying to the Green and Gold on hearing of the publication of the Senate Inquiry into the Republic (2004)? No.

In 2008, Senator Brown chose Remembrance Day to introduce a private member's bill into the Senate - The Plebiscite for an Australian Republic Bill. Apart from the utterly inappropriate timing, a senate committee was established to tour the country and hold public hearings. One of the more memorable moments was when a member of the committee humiliated himself by claiming that Canada was a republic. Another assuming republican politician.

I have always shuddered at the emphatic republican chanting of on the one hand, advocacy for multiculturalism and on the other, claiming Her Majesty is a foreigner and therefore unfit to be our monarch. Always seemed a bit of a contradiction to me. 'For those who come across the sea, we've boundless plains to share'. What better embodiment of a truly multicultural society than one with a sovereign not born within its borders? (I am anticipating the inevitable flak regarding this point, but I know precisely what I mean).

Australia is a constitutional monarchy: at worst, a harmless, nostalgic legacy and reason to waive a flag or buy a magazine every once in a while. At best, the result of centuries of political evolution, a unique, stable and neutral form of peaceful, constant government.

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, governor general, julia gillard, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii