The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Kate Effect is usually used for something positive.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Kate Effect is usually used for something positive.
But isn't a decrease in the support for an Australian Republic something positive. I think it is.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Aristocracy

It isn't the kate effect.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:04 AM
Nobility

The lack of support for a republic in Australia in recent years has nothing to do with Kate or any other member of the Royal Family.

It is due to problems with hung parliaments/regular changes of prime minister at each parties whim and other internal Australian factors. People in Australia are more concerned with cost of living and other political factors such as politician salaries etc. The expense of bringing in a president when there is no real momentum for it at the moment would be seen as a huge waste of money.

A president would probably end up being a former politician and at the moment with confidence in our politicians at incredibly low levels it could potentially smack of bringing in a job for 'one of the boys'. In Australia the view tends to be if it isn't broken don't fix it.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 AM
Majesty

A very telling factor is the History syllabus taught in NSW (I can only speak for NSW up until very recently as each state had a different syllabus). In 1999 we introduced a new syllabus which was written with the expectation that by the time we were at the end of the Year 10 course we would have voted to become a Republic. When that syllabus was revised in 2005 the issue of the Republic was an optional topic (I still taught it until this year when my classes voted to do a different topic) and the new national curriculum that will be taught in NSW doesn't even mention it at all.

So from expecting to be teaching it as a major historical turning point in Australia's history to not on the syllabus in 14 years is very telling to me at least.

Of course the current NSW syllabus based on the National Curriculum has only the wars and changing rights and freedoms on Indigenous Australians as mandatory topics (not even Federation or the British arrival here are now compulsory).
Old 02-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Royal View Post
But isn't a decrease in the support for an Australian Republic something positive. I think it is.
It is yes, I read the numbers wrong. However I agree with other posters that it has very little do with Catherine. She hasn't even been there yet.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Royal View Post

As an Australian I don't see this as a positive step at all but rather a failure of the republican movement to agree on their model and thus an inability to educate the nation to the advantages of having a Head of State who lives here and only supports Australia.

One day we will be a republic - and that will be sooner than many people who rely on these figures think.

For the last decade or so the issue hasn't been getting that much coverage - but the republicans are preparing and getting organised for another attempt - when the time is right which will be probably after the end of the current reign as both sides of the issue have indicated that they won't return to the issue in the present reign. While that is the case the republicans can plan away in the background ready to launch their case when Charles is king knowing that they will have more fertile ground then.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As an Australian I don't see this as a positive step at all but rather a failure of the republican movement to agree on their model and thus an inability to educate the nation to the advantages of having a Head of State who lives here and only supports Australia.

One day we will be a republic - and that will be sooner than many people who rely on these figures think.
As much as I love the royal family I agree that it is now time for Australia to become a republic. I think the Queen's passing will bring an important debate to the forefront again in Australia.

I do feel that at the moment (and last 5 years) the current politicians are doing the Republican movement no favours with all the perceptions of their ineptitude in the media. To have a strong campaign the Republicans need a strong, solid government in power as many people will rightly or wrongly link an Australian Head of State with politicians/government. This has been an issue in the past for example with the appointment of the Governor General which has sometimes been viewed as a political appointment chosen by the government of the day.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Gentry

I've just found this: Right royal resurgence | brisbanetimes.com.au

I have only one thing to say: way to go, Aussies! I wish all the best for those young monarchists!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Aristocracy

Knighthoods reinstated in Australia | Royal Central

The Kate effect
Old 03-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Nothing to do with Catherine and everything to do with the current Government of Australia.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Aristocracy

The announcement was planned to coincide with the upcoming Royal Tour, hence my reference to the Kate effect.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The announcement was planned to coincide with the upcoming Royal Tour, hence my reference to the Kate effect.
But Catherine had nothing to do with the australian governments decision to reinstate knighthoods. So it has nothing to do with The Kate effect.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Majesty

I also don't see a connection. It would be nice if the Cambridge's are given the Knighthood during their official tour though.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Majesty

Why would we want to give an award to non-Aussies? It has been made clear that this reinstatement is for AUSTRALIANS and William and Kate aren't Aussies.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Why would we want to give an award to non-Aussies? It has been made clear that this reinstatement is for AUSTRALIANS and William and Kate aren't Aussies.
So, Australia doesn't have an official Royal Family, like Canada? I suppose at least The Queen is regarded as an Australian, maybe The Duke of Edinburgh too?

That's kinda strange, a Monarchy without a Royal Family.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Is it planned that William carry out the Investiture or has it already taken place?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I think its true also that William and Kate only use their titles in Australia by courtesy? I agree with Iluvbertie and see absolutely no reason whatsoever for this honor to be bestowed on them.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Majesty

The Queen is Queen of Australia. The rest are not Australians at all but they are referred to by their UK titles in Australia as a courtesy. Australia does NOT have a royal family.

The Queen is also the Head of the Order of Australia and Charles has also been given an AO as the heir.

When Charles is King of Australia, William will probably be added to the honourees of the Order of Australia and that will be soon enough.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
So, Australia doesn't have an official Royal Family, like Canada? I suppose at least The Queen is regarded as an Australian, maybe The Duke of Edinburgh too?

That's kinda strange, a Monarchy without a Royal Family.

Even in having an official Royal Family, Canada doesn't necessarily recognize them as being Canadians. There has been much debate between the government of Canada and Prince Philip over whether or not he is considered a Canadian (with the DoE saying he is, and Canada saying... Well, not saying that he isn't, but also not agreeing).

Further, even assuming that the members of the PRF are Royal Highnesses in the Commonwealth Realms outside of Britain (which isn't a guarantee, as the only title that's clearly established within them is that of the monarch's), they're only Prince(sse)s, as the dukedoms and what not are only for the peerage of the United Kingdom.

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, governor general, julia gillard, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii