The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I was wondering, as a poster sparked an interest in me, if The Queen or any previous monarch had chosen to place one of their children on the throne of say Australia or New Zealand, how would that have worked? Would they have been solely The monarch of Australia and Elizabeth II would have lost that title?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I was wondering, as a poster sparked an interest in me, if The Queen or any previous monarch had chosen to place one of their children on the throne of say Australia or New Zealand, how would that have worked? Would they have been solely The monarch of Australia and Elizabeth II would have lost that title?
My guess is that Elizabeth II or whoever would have lost the title - you can't have a King/Queen of Australia and then an Over-King/Queen of Australia or something similar. It probably would have worked out like what happened when a Danish Prince became George I of Greece. The rest of the House of Windsor would lose rights to be King/Queen of Australia like the Danish Royal House did in Greece, but the children and grandchildren etc. of the new monarch of Australia would be styled "Prince/ss of Australia and the United Kingdom" in the same way that members of the Greek Royal Family are "of Greece and Denmark".

Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen or King of Australia could not just decide to plonk one of their kids onto our "throne". The Monarch's role is set out in our Constitution, and no-one but the people of Australia can make changes to our Constitution, and it is notoriously difficult to convince them to do that.

Our Monarch is the Monarch for the time being of the UK. We don't have an official "Royal Family"; it is only the Queen, as Monarch, who has any Constituional role here.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Majesty

The only time it could have happened was 1901 when we were becoming a nation. Had Queen Victoria/Edward VII decided then to establish one of their younger descendents e.g. one of Princess Beatrice's children as our monarch it would probably have been accepted.

I doubt if it would have been accepted in the 1920s if the offer had been to make one of the younger sons of George V - by then they had missed the boat to do that.

Now - not possible.

I notice that Mr Keating - who really pushed for the republic - has come up with another call http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226223571263. He is entitled to his opinion (and I agree we should become a republic and that there is no need to wait for the Queen to die) but he tone in this article is offensive to Australians in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 AM

I have found that Canada and New Zealand have published their own official emblems/logos for The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
I want to ask. Does Australia has its own official emblem/logo for The Queen's Diamond Jubilee?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 AM
Majesty

I haven't heard of one.

The Mint will be creating a special coin for the occasion and Qld is planning a one off public holiday I believe.

That is all that I have heard it planned here. With a Republican PM any celebrations would be very low key - they weren't that extensive in 2002 and we had a Monarchist as PM then.

I am not expecting anything much in the way of celebration at all.

Going back 10 years she visited for five days - for CHOGM in Qld. Church services where held on the main celebration weekend in some churches and the GG of the day had some fireworks at the GG's residence - not much at all.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Majesty

Howard's OM a 'compliment to Australia' | News.com.au

John Howard - former Australian PM has been made a member of the Order of Merit - one of only 24 members and an award totally in the gift of the monarch.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I am not expecting anything much in the way of celebration at all.
Neither am I. There'll be a bit of a fuss when Charles & Camilla are here, because the Jubilee is the reason they are coming, but I don't expect anything else, though there might be a special issue 50 cent piece.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Neither am I. There'll be a bit of a fuss when Charles & Camilla are here, because the Jubilee is the reason they are coming, but I don't expect anything else, though there might be a special issue 50 cent piece.

I am under the impression that there will be a special 50c piece and that really will be it.

Maybe some suggestions to churches to include some mention of it on the Queen's Birthday weekend (certainly in CoE churches).

But I am not expecting much.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:29 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust | Prime Minister of Australia

Quote:

The Government will also recognise the Diamond Jubilee in other ways:
  • The Prime Minister will light a Jubilee Beacon on Parliament House on 4 June.
  • Australia Post will issue a Jubilee stamp.
  • The Royal Mint will issue a Jubilee coin.
  • An east-west road in the Parliamentary Zone will be renamed “Queen Elizabeth Terrace”.
  • A scholarship will be established focused on women’s leadership.
  • A Jubilee essay competition will be staged.
A rather lackluster series of events, but that is not unexpected.

The renaming of the east-west road is a fitting tribute. Other roads in the Parliamentary Zone are already named after Edward VII, Edward VIII and George VI. Infact, I'm surprised it's taken this long.

I watched today's sitting of Parliament and the Prime Minister did make a very lovely speech about the Queen, her role and dedication in serving Australia and naturally, her Diamond Jubilee.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Majesty

I don't have a problem in some ways with the renaming of the street but I do think it shouldn't have been the one named after Parkes - afterall he was the father of federation - the man who really got the ball rolling to have Australia become a nation.

For anyone who doesn't know who Parkes was: Henry Parkes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and his major speech that began the movement to Federation - Tenterfield Oration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it is wrong to remove the name of a true patriotic Australian for a person who isn't an Australian and only visits every five or so years and whose heart is clearly in another country.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Understandable.

I don't have an issue with it personally.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Will the Queen lose sovereignty over Australia?

Queen May Lose Sovereignty Over Australia, Academic Claims - The Daily Beast
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Gentry

I do not think that the end of the United Kingdom would have any impact on the Australian Crown as there are no longer any constitutional ties between Great Britain and Australia. The constitution states that:
The provisions of this Act referring to the Queen shall extend to Her Majesty's heirs and successors in the sovereignty of the United Kingdom.
This is in the preamble of the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act, and as such it is open to interpretation. So if the United Kingdom was dissolved the argument could be made that the legal successor to its sovereignty is now the King or Queen of England. The High Court of Australia might be required to provide an official interpretation to the Government, but I do not think the constitution would need to be altered.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Courtier

Her Majesty's Australian Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition light the Australian Jubilee Beacon at Parliament House, Canberra. (Didn't know where to slot this in the Diamond Jubilee threads so I've put it here).

Old 06-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Courtier

[Roy Morgan Research] Morgan Poll
Australian support for monarchy hits all-time high amid Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations | Breaking National News & Australian News | The Courier-Mail

Australian support for a republic is now at a record high of 58%, with republicans at 32% and undecided at a mere 7%. Even among Labour voters, the monarchy narrowly trumps an elected president 48% to 47%.

For those who say the monarchy will be in trouble in Australia upon the accession of Prince Charles, the poll also found support for Charles as King of Australia is at 48% compared to 43% against. Prince William is still more popular though with 58% popular support as the King of Australia.

It is interesting that the poll gave respondents a specific republican model to compare to a monarchy when republicans are unable to choose one to be put to the people at the referendum they want to have.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Interesting, thanks for posting!
The situation is almost exactly the same in Canada, although the Canadian Monarchy appears to be even more secure.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The situation is almost exactly the same in Canada, although the Canadian Monarchy appears to be even more secure.
I'm surprised at the similarity in the poll results between the two realms. I know Canada maintains more of the trappings (for want of a better word) of the Monarchy and it enjoys more frequent royal visits so it is good to see that my fellow Australians are still supportive of the Queen and her family.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 AM
Commoner

Thanks for posting RoyalistRiley. I have had a feeling support for a republic has been dwindling for a while now so it's interesting to see these poll results. (I think the behaviour of our pollies might be one of the reasons people no longer want to dispense with the Queen as our head of state).
Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

We have a similar aversion to politicians here too, Argyle, which is only getting more and more entrenched everyday.

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, elizabeth ii, governor general, julia gillard, monarchy versus republic, parliament, queen elizabeth ii