The Queen and Australia: Residences, Governor-General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen's first visit to Australia took place in 1954 for a period of eight weeks. See Australia's way of life in the early 1950s. Full programme runs for 100 minutes in seven parts, and is very entertaining.

First Australian feature film shot in colour. See it now re-edited, restored, and for the very first time in Widescreen and Stereosound-

THE QUEEN IN AUSTRALIA (Pt.1) - YouTube

THE QUEEN IN AUSTRALIA (Pt.2) - YouTube

THE QUEEN IN AUSTRALIA (Pt.3) - YouTube

THE QUEEN IN AUSTRALIA (Pt.4) - YouTube

THE QUEEN IN AUSTRALIA (Pt.5) - YouTube

THE QUEEN IN AUSTRALIA (Pt.6) - YouTube

THE QUEEN IN AUSTRALIA (Pt.7) - YouTube

Thanks so much for posting these links, Dman. :flowers: I look forward to watching them when I get a chance.

Thank you - I will be adding them to my watch list as well - and possibly subject by Year 10s to them when I do the 1950s with them next term.

And the Governor General of Australia is Qentin Bryce. Her husband is Richard Bryce.

General Peter Cosgrove to be appointed new Governor-General on Monday: report

Former defence chief Peter Cosgrove is tipped to be named as Australia's new governor-general on Monday.

General Cosgrove has long been the frontrunner to succeed Quentin Bryce in the position, with speculation he would be appointed reported late last month. Prime Minister Tony Abbott is expected to appointed General Gosgrove on Monday, the day after Australia Day, News Corp reported on Thursday

AustraliaG-GStandard.jpg

Vice-Regal Standard of the Governor-General of Australia

Sydney Morning Herald 28 January 2014

Governor-General Peter Cosgrove: A rough diamond's time to shine

excerpts

Australia's new Governor-General, Peter Cosgrove, won the Military Cross for gallantry as a young platoon commander in Vietnam, but he remained all but an unknown soldier to most Australians until, 30 years later, he was sent to East Timor. There, he would gain the loyalty of the soldiers under his command, initially by occupying a modest bunk in their quarters; draw the plaudits of the international community and the thanks of the East Timorese - former guerilla leader Xanana Gusmao presented his resistance uniform as thanks, literally giving the shirt off his back; and won the status of hero across Australia.

As commander of the United Nations-backed East Timor peacekeeping mission, interFet, in 1999, then Major-General Cosgrove's military career was suddenly supercharged. He returned to Australia to be promoted to Lieutenant-General and to be appointed Chief of the Army. In 2001, he was named Australian of the Year, an honour he accepted on behalf of all those who had served in East Timor. A year later, in 2002, his 37-year military career reached its pinnacle. He was a full General and Chief of the Defence Force.

In 2006, General Cosgrove again gained national prominence when he took charge of rebuilding north Queensland areas destroyed by Cyclone Larry. The Queensland government honoured him by naming a Townsville suburb Cosgrove. Prime Minister Tony Abbott [has capped] General Cosgrove's public career with the keys to Yarralumla and Admiralty House. General Cosgrove won't find it hard to navigate around Yarralumla - in 1972 he served as aide de camp to Governor-General Sir Paul Hasluck.

Sources say the Prime Minister chose a widely admired military man like General Cosgrove partly because he was keen to ensure next year's 100-year anniversary of Anzac Day and Australia's role in World War I was granted a strong vice-regal presence. General Cosgrove is a former board member of the Australian War Memorial and is a member of the NSW Anzac Centenary committee.

He has the added benefit for Mr Abbott, a keen monarchist, of being an avowed supporter of a constitutional monarchy.

Yarralumla is a long way from what were in the 1950s the crowded terraces of Paddington in Sydney where Peter Cosgrove grew up, the son of a soldier.
. . . . . .

v The appointment of General Cosgrove as G-G appears to have fairly strong public support.

Attachments

• Poll.jpg
    Poll.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 252
He is an excellent choice. I do wonder whether, like Bill Hayden, he will change from being a republican to a monarchist while in this position or whether he will remain a republican like Bryce.

:previous:
The SMH article states that General Cosgrove is "an avowed supporter of a constitutional monarchy".

Kate Effect is usually used for something positive.:whistling:

The lack of support for a republic in Australia in recent years has nothing to do with Kate or any other member of the Royal Family.

It is due to problems with hung parliaments/regular changes of prime minister at each parties whim and other internal Australian factors. People in Australia are more concerned with cost of living and other political factors such as politician salaries etc. The expense of bringing in a president when there is no real momentum for it at the moment would be seen as a huge waste of money.

A president would probably end up being a former politician and at the moment with confidence in our politicians at incredibly low levels it could potentially smack of bringing in a job for 'one of the boys'. In Australia the view tends to be if it isn't broken don't fix it.

A very telling factor is the History syllabus taught in NSW (I can only speak for NSW up until very recently as each state had a different syllabus). In 1999 we introduced a new syllabus which was written with the expectation that by the time we were at the end of the Year 10 course we would have voted to become a Republic. When that syllabus was revised in 2005 the issue of the Republic was an optional topic (I still taught it until this year when my classes voted to do a different topic) and the new national curriculum that will be taught in NSW doesn't even mention it at all.

So from expecting to be teaching it as a major historical turning point in Australia's history to not on the syllabus in 14 years is very telling to me at least.

Of course the current NSW syllabus based on the National Curriculum has only the wars and changing rights and freedoms on Indigenous Australians as mandatory topics (not even Federation or the British arrival here are now compulsory).

But isn't a decrease in the support for an Australian Republic something positive. I think it is.

It is yes, I read the numbers wrong. However I agree with other posters that it has very little do with Catherine. She hasn't even been there yet.

But isn't a decrease in the support for an Australian Republic something positive. I think it is.

As an Australian I don't see this as a positive step at all but rather a failure of the republican movement to agree on their model and thus an inability to educate the nation to the advantages of having a Head of State who lives here and only supports Australia.

One day we will be a republic - and that will be sooner than many people who rely on these figures think.

For the last decade or so the issue hasn't been getting that much coverage - but the republicans are preparing and getting organised for another attempt - when the time is right which will be probably after the end of the current reign as both sides of the issue have indicated that they won't return to the issue in the present reign. While that is the case the republicans can plan away in the background ready to launch their case when Charles is king knowing that they will have more fertile ground then.

As an Australian I don't see this as a positive step at all but rather a failure of the republican movement to agree on their model and thus an inability to educate the nation to the advantages of having a Head of State who lives here and only supports Australia.

One day we will be a republic - and that will be sooner than many people who rely on these figures think.

As much as I love the royal family I agree that it is now time for Australia to become a republic. I think the Queen's passing will bring an important debate to the forefront again in Australia.

I do feel that at the moment (and last 5 years) the current politicians are doing the Republican movement no favours with all the perceptions of their ineptitude in the media. To have a strong campaign the Republicans need a strong, solid government in power as many people will rightly or wrongly link an Australian Head of State with politicians/government. This has been an issue in the past for example with the appointment of the Governor General which has sometimes been viewed as a political appointment chosen by the government of the day.

The announcement was planned to coincide with the upcoming Royal Tour, hence my reference to the Kate effect.

The announcement was planned to coincide with the upcoming Royal Tour, hence my reference to the Kate effect.

But Catherine had nothing to do with the australian governments decision to reinstate knighthoods. So it has nothing to do with The Kate effect.

I also don't see a connection. It would be nice if the Cambridge's are given the Knighthood during their official tour though.

Why would we want to give an award to non-Aussies? It has been made clear that this reinstatement is for AUSTRALIANS and William and Kate aren't Aussies.

Why would we want to give an award to non-Aussies? It has been made clear that this reinstatement is for AUSTRALIANS and William and Kate aren't Aussies.

So, Australia doesn't have an official Royal Family, like Canada? I suppose at least The Queen is regarded as an Australian, maybe The Duke of Edinburgh too?

That's kinda strange, a Monarchy without a Royal Family.

Is it planned that William carry out the Investiture or has it already taken place?

I think its true also that William and Kate only use their titles in Australia by courtesy? I agree with Iluvbertie and see absolutely no reason whatsoever for this honor to be bestowed on them.

The Queen is Queen of Australia. The rest are not Australians at all but they are referred to by their UK titles in Australia as a courtesy. Australia does NOT have a royal family.

The Queen is also the Head of the Order of Australia and Charles has also been given an AO as the heir.

When Charles is King of Australia, William will probably be added to the honourees of the Order of Australia and that will be soon enough.

So, Australia doesn't have an official Royal Family, like Canada? I suppose at least The Queen is regarded as an Australian, maybe The Duke of Edinburgh too?

That's kinda strange, a Monarchy without a Royal Family.

Even in having an official Royal Family, Canada doesn't necessarily recognize them as being Canadians. There has been much debate between the government of Canada and Prince Philip over whether or not he is considered a Canadian (with the DoE saying he is, and Canada saying... Well, not saying that he isn't, but also not agreeing).

Further, even assuming that the members of the PRF are Royal Highnesses in the Commonwealth Realms outside of Britain (which isn't a guarantee, as the only title that's clearly established within them is that of the monarch's), they're only Prince(sse)s, as the dukedoms and what not are only for the peerage of the United Kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom