The Duke of Edinburgh In Car Accident at Sandringham: January 17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And that IMO would be extremely generous! Even is she should suffer a few percents diminished ability to use her hand.
She is after all not a surgeon, a pianist or something like that.

Nor am I, but I still wish for a grip strong enough to whip up an omelet, hold a future grandchild, drive a standard shift car, deadhead a rose, arm wrestle in a biker bar...just kidding about that last one!

Nor am I, but I still wish for a grip strong enough to whip up an omelet, hold a future grandchild, drive a standard shift car, deadhead a rose, arm wrestle in a biker bar...just kidding about that last one!

That is sad! :ermm:

However, I meant a few percent, say 5 % diminished use of her hand. That would hardly lead to her getting a particularly high amount from a settlement or the insurance companies. If any...

Another question here. How likely is it for Ms. Fairweather to actually find an attorney that would be willing to take on The Duke of Edinburgh and the team of legal eagles the Windsors most likely have?

Another question here. How likely is it for Ms. Fairweather to actually find an attorney that would be willing to take on The Duke of Edinburgh and the team of legal eagles the Windsors most likely have?

I'm not sure that would be necessary. I think his insurance company will be the ones to pay out rather than him personally. That's what happened in my accident, even though the other driver was prosecuted by the police, my personal injury compensation came from his insurers.

As likely as it is that an adult film actress or a Playboy model would find an attorney willing to sue the President of the United States. No such thing as bad publicity, just publicity.

There are plenty of solicitors who would not be bothered that the Duke of Edinburgh is the Defendant in an action - they may think their client is in the right and believe everyone is entitled to legal representation (which is why even the worst criminals still get someone to represent them). Maybe they are not monarchists/have no feelings one way or the other about the monarchy. Maybe they just relish the opportunity to thumb their nose at the establishment.

Diana had no difficulty in finding a lawyer who was prepared to negotiate a divorce on her behalf. When she sued one of the tabloids for publishing photos of her in her gym, the barrister retained by the paper (Geoffrey Robertson QC) was said to be looking forward to the opportunity to cross examine her about her own collusion with the media until the paper caved. Mohammed Fayed had no difficulty finding a barrister who would run his arguments at the inquest into Diana's death.

As likely as it is that an adult film actress or a Playboy model would find an attorney willing to sue the President of the United States. No such thing as bad publicity, just publicity.

There are plenty of solicitors who would not be bothered that the Duke of Edinburgh is the Defendant in an action - they may think their client is in the right and believe everyone is entitled to legal representation (which is why even the worst criminals still get someone to represent them). Maybe they are not monarchists/have no feelings one way or the other about the monarchy. Maybe they just relish the opportunity to thumb their nose at the establishment.

Diana had no difficulty in finding a lawyer who was prepared to negotiate a divorce on her behalf. When she sued one of the tabloids for publishing photos of her in her gym, the barrister retained by the paper (Geoffrey Robertson QC) was said to be looking forward to the opportunity to cross examine her about her own collusion with the media until the paper caved. Mohammed Fayed had no difficulty finding a barrister who would run his arguments at the inquest into Diana's death.

I think all the scenarios you list are very different to the one Philip may find himself in. President Trump is hardly the model man and whilst he is the president, he certainly does not have the same reverence as the RF.

Diana finding lawyers to fight her corner was never going to be hard and Mr Fayed just chucked money at the situation. Diana got her divorce but Fayed never got anywhere with his ranting.

Whilst either party might attempt to “sue”, such an American term, the royal family would not let it get as far as anything damaging that is quite clear.

Last edited:
Finding an attorney who will represent her is probably very easy, although the attorney will actually be litigating against the Duke of Edinburgh's insurer.

Prince Phillip should be made to take a test to check his driving abilities.

Why?

Have the police said he was 'at fault'?

If not then why pick on him.

When the police determine who was 'at fault' they will take the appropriate action which may include any or all of the following: charge one or both drivers with some driving offence, recommend the cancellation of one or both drivers' licences; determine no action is required as it was a 'no fault' accident (they do happen).

Until they have made their determination it is only discriminatory to insist that a) Philip's age was the issue or b) Philip, being a member of the BRF is automatically at fault.

A Satirical GEM -

Attachments

• philip.jpg
    philip.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 147
Prince Phillip should be made to take a test to check his driving abilities.

He has, as the rest of the population over 70 have. Prince Philip has met and passed all that is required of him by law to drive. What happened in this accident could have happened to any member of the royal family, or frankly anyone at all. We're picking on his age when frankly that has very little baring on the issue.

Actually, I see this as good news. Philip isn't stupid but he is stubborn. It took this accident to drive home the lesson that perhaps driving himself isn't in his best interest and has voluntarily surrendered his license.

I can only hope that I can follow the DoE's example and turn my license to drive in at 97 years young. :D

I think this is a good decision on his part. I dreaded my parents getting older and the day we would have to tell them they needed to give up their keys. Fortunately, that day didn't happen as my dad quit because he just didn't feel good. My mom quit because she didn't want to be a story in the newspaper as in "elderly female driver in accident".

He surrendered his pilot license when he reaches his 50s saying if he caused an accident it would be seen as his fault. I think after some time to let things settle HRH knows this is the best thing to do for himself and others.

I wonder who persuaded Philip? My money is on the Queen.

Maybe he simply decided it on his own?

'After careful consideration'...to be a fly on the wall during that ;)

Likely: The Queen, Family, palace officials, lawyers and, most of all, knowing he could’ve died in that crash or killed someone in the crash.

Will be interesting to see who is at church tomorrow. Plus will be interesting to see the CPS decision

I wonder if this means that he has been officially found to have been the one SOLELY responsible for the accident by the police and this is just a pre-emptive strike/decision before the release of the official report. IF he is, then he could be facing charges and legal payouts to the victims.

That's what I wondered as well. The accident itself didn't convince him at first, so I do think he's received some recommendations :whistling:

And while he still can get to places it must be hard to loose another bit of perceived freedom. I hope he had an enjoyable last ride on the estate.

“Norfolk Police can confirm that the 97 year old driver of the Land Rover involved in the collision at Sandringham ... has today voluntarily surrendered his licence to officers...
The investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service”

Don't quote me on this but I think Philip most likely doesn't need an "official" driver's license to drive on private land. He'd just have to steer clear of public roads. I'm sincerely hoping though that he's hung up all his keys and lets someone else drive him. Everywhere.

Now that he's voluntarily handed in his driver's license and hopefully having a driver take him where he wants to go, there remains a big question. Will Philip now also give up carriage driving?

However the decision was reached (my money is on the Queen persuading him) IMO it was the right one. While Prince Philip is extraordinarily healthy for a 97 year old nobody at that age has the reflexes needed to drive a vehicle safely.

Eminently sensible, altho' doubtless a hard choice for the Duke, but he can continue to drive on the private roads on the the Estates at Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral if he so chooses and his RPO, or wife can drive in other locations or circumstances.

I think, all things considered, this is a good decision, whether Prince Philip made this on his own or not. The woman in the other car will be having a plate put in her arm as a result of this accident and if the licence hadn't been surrendered the Press would have been on the attack.

Wise decision. At 97, Prince Phillip does not have the situational awareness as soneone even 20 years younger than him.

I also believe that the Queen and family helped Prince Phillip with the decision.

Does the Queen still drive on public roads?

Back
Top Bottom